Any Sign of White Smoke Yet?

Started by Oraisteach, March 13, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Looks like they are in Tyrone colours, not Donegal ;)
Testing Accessibility

The Iceman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 20, 2013, 08:36:23 AM
I'd say Pope Francis has done a lot more for the poor than most of those that have hurled abuse at him.

He will never be able to do any right in their eyes. Nor will anyone who even hints at having any faith.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

deiseach

Quote from: Declan on March 20, 2013, 12:33:20 PM

"Jim wants this back in half an hour hi". Excellent.

I can't decide if that's Alex Ferguson or Rupert Murdoch on the right. Either way, creepy.

AQMP

Is that Gorbachev over Fra's right shoulder??

theskull1

I'd say Pope Francis has done a lot more for the poor than most of those that have hurled abuse at him.

:o ... would someone please explain what we are meant to take from this comment? I'm guessing "nothing"

A teacher teaches more kids, a fireman puts out more fires, a doctor treats more sick ..... must I go on? The clergy dont have to worry about keeping a roof over their families heads. The rest of us have lives that need financing to stay afloat

Havent heard too many hurl abuse at the individual either
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Denn Forever

I'd imagine it is a respose to this article.

Quote from: give her dixie on March 19, 2013, 11:50:06 PM
Man on gold throne somehow keeps straight face whilst calling on others to help poor

Pope Francis has inaugurated his papacy at a Mass in Rome, calling on everyone not sat on a gold chair to defend the poor and the weak.

In front of 200,000 worshippers, the new head of the multi-billion dollar catholic church said it was important that society looked towards the poor, and said so without the slightest trace of irony in his voice.

Putting in place a solid gold ring the size of an apple, Pope Francis told onlookers with a completely straight face, "It is important we think of those less fortunate than ourselves, which is pretty much everyone on the planet when you work here."

"If you think this all looks incredibly splendid – you should see inside, it's pretty awesome, honestly."

"Seriously, if you don't like gold furnishings you'd probably hate it, but I think it's really 'bling' – as some of the young choristers say."

Pope inaugurated

Onlookers said the new Pope's performance was 'very polished', and that they wouldn't want to play poker with him.

Former catholic Simon Williams told us, "Did you see that bit about helping the poor? If you didn't know better you'd say he lives in a mud hut and survives on the generosity of strangers."

"I'm just surprised they didn't pass around a collection plate. You don't get to be the wealthiest organisation on the planet without knowing a thing or two about fund-raising."

"You have to remember, the only difference between bankers and the Vatican is at least the bankers pretend like you're going to get your money back."

http://newsthump.com/2013/03/19/man-on-gold-throne-somehow-keeps-straight-face-whilst-calling-on-others-to-help-poor/
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

trueblue1234

Quote from: theskull1 on March 20, 2013, 03:18:01 PM

:o ... would someone please explain what we are meant to take from this comment? I'm guessing "nothing"

A teacher teaches more kids, a fireman puts out more fires, a doctor treats more sick ..... must I go on? The clergy dont have to worry about keeping a roof over their families heads. The rest of us have lives that need financing to stay afloat

You guess away. I'd say for most people it's pretty obvious what was meant. Pope Francis has a long history of helping the poor. Yet there has been many people who have decided to use that fact that he is now Pope to imply double standards. He is in no position to change the trap and trimmings of the position (I'd actually agree that there doesn't need to be as much pomp or bling) without going through proper channels. I'd pay more intention to the work he has done throughout his life than the trimmings that are attached to his current role to judge the man.

I hope that's helped. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on March 20, 2013, 02:49:44 PM

He will never be able to do any right in their eyes. Nor will anyone who even hints at having any faith.

Iceman your, those who criticise in any shape or form must not have any faith, does not enhance your argument as much as you think it does.
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on March 20, 2013, 04:32:29 PM

Iceman your, those who criticise in any shape or form must not have any faith, does not enhance your argument as much as you think it does.

My point was I can do no right either  - its the same old argument from non-believers. If I stand up for my faith youins are at me. If I make a mistake or get angry or display even a hint of "non Christian" behaviour, youins are at me. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

This thread resembles something you would find on OWC. The tone of the GAA Board has morphed into something similar. unfortunately.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: theskull1 on March 20, 2013, 03:18:01 PM

+1

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on March 20, 2013, 04:37:27 PM

My point was I can do no right either  - its the same old argument from non-believers. If I stand up for my faith youins are at me. If I make a mistake or get angry or display even a hint of "non Christian" behaviour, youins are at me. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

This thread resembles something you would find on OWC. The tone of the GAA Board has morphed into something similar. unfortunately.

There are many completely different arguments here. Here are just two:

a) some posters consider themselves Catholics but criticise the Church;
b) some choose not to believe in religion at all;

You seem to argue that anyone who doesn't agree with you as not worthy of the Church/doesn't have faith/is an atheists or whatever. You are damning everyone who dares to ask questions of the Church, while you know as well as anyone else that it has serious, serious questions to answer.

Many posters on this thread who have been critical of the Church in the past, have posted positive comments regarding our early impressions of this new Pope, but you choose to ignore what could actually be a turning point. I hope the Church doesn't do the same.
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

That is truely shocking Horse.  :)

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Christian behaviour also includes crusades, inquisitions, religious wars, penal laws, forceable conversions, slave labour, legtimising laws (sectartian, sexist, racist, homophobic, bigoted, political), legtimising monarachical rule, promoting poor sexual-health, ignorance, lack of reason, extreme-capitalism.

armaghniac

Quotepromoting poor sexual-health

Whatever about the other points above, the church basically puts forward the idea that you should marry a person and have sex only with that person, which is better for sexual-health than the screw everyone brigade.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: armaghniac on March 20, 2013, 06:29:31 PM
Quotepromoting poor sexual-health

Whatever about the other points above, the church basically puts forward the idea that you should marry a person and have sex only with that person, which is better for sexual-health than the screw everyone brigade.

Thanks, that reminds me. You can add up-tight sexually repressed prudes to that list.

What is their problem with a bit of latex? Are they only able to breed Catholics (now that the sword and gun are no longer acceptable) or do they lack the ability to win over educated adults to their cause.