Dublin star faces jail time.

Started by Jonah, March 13, 2013, 08:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Sorry - the point I was making is that in such cases the lad up before the beak is described as a 'GAA star' which is usually not relevant to anything to do with the case.

If he was a some no-mark he'd barely get a line in The Evening Herald.

And the other point is that the case is not a GAA discussion.

Now if he gets sent down and he's off the Dubs team for a year then the actual GAA discussion could centre around how the Dubs would cope without him...etc

brokencrossbar1

SS you have a point but let's not be so naive.  We live in such an insular country where the largets sporting and cultural body is very much an indigenous one.  As soon as one steps out of line, or is perceived to step out of line, then it becomes a 'GAA' issue.  But for the purposes of this Board it is no different to the MH opinion on Abortion discussion and should be shunted to the Non-GAA.

BTW, I don't think he will go to jail.  There is a 'deal' being made by the sounds of things.  The judge happy to deal with it as 'the injuries had cleared up', early guilty plea, not wasting court time saving the tax payers money, big wad of cash in an envelope, sorry the last bit hasn't made the RTE site yet ;)

ballinaman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 13, 2013, 10:05:20 AM
SS you have a point but let's not be so naive.  We live in such an insular country where the largets sporting and cultural body is very much an indigenous one.  As soon as one steps out of line, or is perceived to step out of line, then it becomes a 'GAA' issue.  But for the purposes of this Board it is no different to the MH opinion on Abortion discussion and should be shunted to the Non-GAA.

BTW, I don't think he will go to jail.  There is a 'deal' being made by the sounds of things.  The judge happy to deal with it as 'the injuries had cleared up', early guilty plea, not wasting court time saving the tax payers money, big wad of cash in an envelope, sorry the last bit hasn't made the RTE site yet ;)
+1. Heard that a few weeks ago too. It's surprisingly difficult to get sent down in Ireland. (not that I'd personally know BTW  ;D )

magpie seanie

He shouldn't get sent down for a first offense if he is genuinely sorry (seems to be the case) and the victim is recovered and compensated appropriately for the crime (would assume this is/will also be the case).

Might help him mature a bit and be a better player for Dublin. For all his undoubted talent he seems to have several flaws in his game - inconsistency and looks like guys can get under his skin a little.

See how I rode two horses there!!!!

Declan

QuoteSS you have a point but let's not be so naive.  We live in such an insular country where the largets sporting and cultural body is very much an indigenous one.  As soon as one steps out of line, or is perceived to step out of line, then it becomes a 'GAA' issue.  But for the purposes of this Board it is no different to the MH opinion on Abortion discussion and should be shunted to the Non-GAA.

BTW, I don't think he will go to jail.  There is a 'deal' being made by the sounds of things.  The judge happy to deal with it as 'the injuries had cleared up', early guilty plea, not wasting court time saving the tax payers money, big wad of cash in an envelope, sorry the last bit hasn't made the RTE site yet

You'll have to stop these sensible posts BC1

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2013, 10:18:26 AM
If it's your first offence you probably won't get jailed for it.

magpie seanie

Nally Stand

Sweet fcuk. If lads are going to talk about it then does it matter a damn which section of gaaboard.com they use to do it in? Either way it's still going to be on gaaboard.com so will the consequences of doing it in one section rather than another be all that enormous?! The same people are going to read and reply ffs!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

bogball88

you would think you wouldn't get sent down for a first offence, but im sure EC will know of a case lately which involved a former tyrone minor from the east who got a hefty custodial sentence during what sounds like a similar incident?

snoopdog

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 13, 2013, 10:23:23 AM
Even if it was unprovoked? and he continued to beat the guy while he was lying on the ground.
why would you unprovokeded beat the head of someone. was he on something other than drink??
There may be some history here between the 2 that we arent aware of. But if this guy was a stranger to Connolly and he went over and beat the head of him then he deserves everything he gets. This is a GAA story Connolly plays for the highest profile county and should act as an ambassador for the game not like a thug

LeoMc

Quote from: snoopdog on March 13, 2013, 11:11:30 AM
Even if it was unprovoked? and he continued to beat the guy while he was lying on the ground.
why would you unprovokeded beat the head of someone. was he on something other than drink??
There may be some history here between the 2 that we arent aware of. But if this guy was a stranger to Connolly and he went over and beat the head of him then he deserves everything he gets. This is a GAA story Connolly plays for the highest profile county and should act as an ambassador for the game not like a thug

That went straight over your head didn't it.

snoopdog

Quote from: LeoMc on March 13, 2013, 11:14:07 AM

what did?
Im saying why should he get away with it if its a first offence if he attacked someone for no reason after all isnt that what unprovoked means??

LeoMc

Quote from: snoopdog on March 13, 2013, 11:17:13 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 13, 2013, 11:14:07 AM

what did?
Im saying why should he get away with it if its a first offence if he attacked someone for no reason after all isnt that what unprovoked means??

And BnM was talking about Bestiality in Sligo though technically the Second horse would be a second offence.

EC Unique

Quote from: bogball88 on March 13, 2013, 11:01:08 AM
you would think you wouldn't get sent down for a first offence, but im sure EC will know of a case lately which involved a former tyrone minor from the east who got a hefty custodial sentence during what sounds like a similar incident?

The one you refer to was not a first offence.

rrhf

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 13, 2013, 10:53:40 AM
Sweet fcuk. If lads are going to talk about it then does it matter a damn which section of gaaboard.com they use to do it in? Either way it's still going to be on gaaboard.com so will the consequences of doing it in one section rather than another be all that enormous?! The same people are going to read and reply ffs!
I like to put my milk in the fridge and my rubbish in the bin, I hate when I do it the wrong way round.