Spitting

Started by ONeill, March 09, 2013, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: Jinxy on March 12, 2013, 09:52:34 PM
They're in the same sect Nally.
How many times do you need to be told this.

I'm the same sect as the Dublin fans who jeered at us outside Croke Park after the All-Ireland semi, to fcuk off back to England and that we were black b*****ds. They are clueless but their remarks were still sectarian, directed at the us as a group of 'nordies' who were therefor "black b*****ds". Deny it all you want. Such comments are sectarian.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 12, 2013, 10:01:54 PM

I'm the same sect as the Dublin fans who jeered at us outside Croke Park after the All-Ireland semi, to fcuk off back to England and that we were black b*****ds. They are clueless but their remarks were still sectarian, directed at the us as a group of 'nordies' who were therefor "black b*****ds". Deny it all you want. Such comments are sectarian.

They are as idiotic as a black person calling another blalck person a 'nigger' or a Traveller calling a fellow member of his community a 'kn**ker'. It happens, it is absurd and ignorant, but it is not sectarian or racist.
MWWSI 2017

tyrone86

Quote from: muppet on March 12, 2013, 10:05:00 PM

They are as idiotic as a black person calling another blalck person a 'nigger' or a Traveller calling a fellow member of his community a 'kn**ker'. It happens, it is absurd and ignorant, but it is not sectarian or racist.

I'd add partitionist to absurd and ignorant but +1

Fear ón Srath Bán

If someone (however stupidly) believes that s/he belongs to a particular 'sect', and s/he throws vitriol at someone else in the belief (however moronically) that that other person is of a different 'sect', then that's sectarian, by definition. It's the intention, not the reality, that's the key.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on March 12, 2013, 10:05:00 PM

"Nigger" is a racist comment no matter who says it to whom with the intent of insulting. Ditto with sectarian remarks. People in the south abusing people from the north by generalizing and terming them all as being "black b*****ds" is sectarian. It's not that complicated.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 12, 2013, 10:08:26 PM
If someone (however stupidly) believes that s/he belongs to a particular 'sect', and s/he throws vitriol at someone else in the belief (however moronically) that that other person is of a different 'sect', then that's sectarian, by definition. It's the intention, not the reality, that's the key.

So a man can be guilty of sectarianism against his twin?
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

I'm sorry for bringing this up again, but am I missing something, Mugsy said in his twitter statement that comments were made about Tyrone legends that had passed away. Just for clarification, where does this rank in the moral compass of scumminess that is judged on this board?
That was never a square ball!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on March 12, 2013, 10:13:59 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 12, 2013, 10:08:26 PM

So a man can be guilty of sectarianism against his twin?

If he's particularly dense, deluded, or demented, and doesn't actually realise that he has a twin. You can't change the definition, however much you'd like to wish it away.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Boghopper

Spitting is unforgivable and I have sympathy for Galvin or indeed any player who has been spat on, although I would question the motive of releasing this 30 second clip other than to take the gloss off Cookstown's fantastic win! If Galvin or Finuge were truly upset at what happened then why haven't they made a complaint via the appropriate channel the CCCC.

Is there any footage on youtube of the alleged bully boy tactics employed by Finuge which ended up in Finuge getting men sent for the early shower? I'm not a gambler but I'd say there isn't.

In hindsight I know what Eoin Mulligan was  attempting to do although being called a British CKDT, black B or making comments about those deceased is very unsavory and I don't doubt the Finuge boys engaged in the behaviour alleged by Eoin although that is only an explanation for the lad who spat at Galvin's actions but it certainly isn't an excuse and if I were him I'd feel pretty sick.

Jinxy

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 12, 2013, 10:15:58 PM
I'm sorry for bringing this up again, but am I missing something, Mugsy said in his twitter statement that comments were made about Tyrone legends that had passed away. Just for clarification, where does this rank in the moral compass of scumminess that is judged on this board?

It's as low as it gets.
If you believe him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tony Baloney

No evidence of this. If it was true then it is poor enough form but if you were that vexed about it you'd nail the boy, not gob on him whilst running past him, like a coward.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 12, 2013, 10:41:05 PM
No evidence of this. If it was true then it is poor enough form but if you were that vexed about it you'd nail the boy, not gob on him whilst running past him, like a coward.

Fair enough, but I can't imagine that Mulligan would just make this up out of the blue? If this is true and is reflective of the depth of vile that was floating around that game and as players you choose to make those comments, then as a team you can't take the moral high ground when one scummy act is met by another scummy act.
That was never a square ball!!

Ciarrai_thuaidh

F*cking hell, i thought this had all blown over!.... sometimes we do ourselves no favours in the GAA with all this stuff do we?

I'm obviously not totally neutral on this being a Kerryman (North Kerry at that), but my views on all this stuff are as follows:

Cookstown were by far the better team on the night and were deserved victors. Finuge lost their discipline badly and the 2 Corridans were red carded deservedly.

-Footage emerges (posted by a finuge man on youtube) a month later of Galvin being spat on by a Cookstown sub. If this appeared in the week after the game I would say it was somewhat down to sour grapes, but this doesn't appear to be case. In my view the Cookstown player who spat at another player should be given a hefty ban.
- Owen Mulligan comes out defending his team mate, but from what I can see doesn't deny that he spat at all? He further accuses Finuge of "sectarian abuse" and goes on to say some of it mentioned Tyrone GAA people who have passed away.

Firstly, I don't see how Owen can defend anyone spitting on another player. It's indefensible in my eyes.

Secondly, if there was abuse of the Cookstown players along the lines of "British b*stards.." etc, that is not right and I would have no problem with Finuge or any other team being reprimanded for that as I don't agree with it....however, that is NO excuse for such a scummy act as spitting on someone.

IF the accusations of jibes about people who have passed away are true, then that is disgusting behaviour also. Again, whoever made comments like that should be reported and banned, fined or whatever...I know Finuge and the players quite well and while most of them are ok, there are a few  edgy characters amongst them also shall we say, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few comments were made.
"Sledging" has become a part of modern sport unfortunately and comments such as "free-state b*stard" or "british b*stard" etc, are so common now as to be almost expected..this saddens me greatly, but you can rise above that stuff. Taking the piss out of people who have died is another matter entirely and is not acceptable.

Galvin is no paragon of virtue by any stretch of the imagination, but he has conducted himself pretty well in this matter IMO and I agree totally with him that this build up of Kerry v Tyrone shit is doing nobody any favours. I think it would be fair to say that there are some Tyrone players who have conducted themselves in a less than classy fashion on a few occasions in games against Kerry teams, while its also fair to say that there are some people in Kerry who think Tyrone = Blanket defence and skullduggery, which is obviously totally narrow minded...the thing about idiots is that they are everywhere unfortunately!

"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

TY14ED

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on March 12, 2013, 11:15:51 PM
F*cking hell, i thought this had all blown over!.... sometimes we do ourselves no favours in the GAA with all this stuff do we?

I'm obviously not totally neutral on this being a Kerryman (North Kerry at that), but my views on all this stuff are as follows:

Cookstown were by far the better team on the night and were deserved victors. Finuge lost their discipline badly and the 2 Corridans were red carded deservedly.

-Footage emerges (posted by a finuge man on youtube) a month later of Galvin being spat on by a Cookstown sub. If this appeared in the week after the game I would say it was somewhat down to sour grapes, but this doesn't appear to be case. In my view the Cookstown player who spat at another player should be given a hefty ban.
- Owen Mulligan comes out defending his team mate, but from what I can see doesn't deny that he spat at all? He further accuses Finuge of "sectarian abuse" and goes on to say some of it mentioned Tyrone GAA people who have passed away.

Firstly, I don't see how Owen can defend anyone spitting on another player. It's indefensible in my eyes.

Secondly, if there was abuse of the Cookstown players along the lines of "British b*stards.." etc, that is not right and I would have no problem with Finuge or any other team being reprimanded for that as I don't agree with it....however, that is NO excuse for such a scummy act as spitting on someone.

IF the accusations of jibes about people who have passed away are true, then that is disgusting behaviour also. Again, whoever made comments like that should be reported and banned, fined or whatever...I know Finuge and the players quite well and while most of them are ok, there are a few  edgy characters amongst them also shall we say, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few comments were made.
"Sledging" has become a part of modern sport unfortunately and comments such as "free-state b*stard" or "british b*stard" etc, are so common now as to be almost expected..this saddens me greatly, but you can rise above that stuff. Taking the piss out of people who have died is another matter entirely and is not acceptable.

Galvin is no paragon of virtue by any stretch of the imagination, but he has conducted himself pretty well in this matter IMO and I agree totally with him that this build up of Kerry v Tyrone shit is doing nobody any favours. I think it would be fair to say that there are some Tyrone players who have conducted themselves in a less than classy fashion on a few occasions in games against Kerry teams, while its also fair to say that there are some people in Kerry who think Tyrone = Blanket defence and skullduggery, which is obviously totally narrow minded...the thing about idiots is that they are everywhere unfortunately!

Can't disagree with any of that.

New forms of media & increased exposure has given the idiots a stronger voice & their actions either on pitch or in stand no longer brushed under carpets. The Riceys & Declan o'sullivans have become too common place in our games- not good example for the younger generations. Oh for the Maurice Fitzgeralds of this world.

ONeill

It would be a manly thing to do if anyone involved in any inappropriate behaviour on the field apologised publicly. That's the example you need to set the youngsters. Don't attempt to brush it under the carpet with whattaboutery just because you're best mates.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.