GAH

Started by Premier Emperor, March 05, 2013, 12:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier Emperor

Am I about the only one who finds this term annoying?
I've been in Dublin the last while and seems to be very common.

It is very often used in a derogatory sense. The type of comments are things like:
"Premier Emperor is a big gah head", "a draw to make more money for the gah", "typical of the gah, ripping people off".

To bug these people, I tell them I've no idea what the f**k 'gah' is.

snoopdog

yeah its a term all the rugby bandwagoners use

BennyCake

Oh, don't start me on this!  >:(

No Soloing

I have always hated it

Tubberman

Used to really annoy me as well.
But I've found most people don't use it in a derogatory way - it's just slang/shorthand. It's easier than saying GAA.
Definitely seems to be more of a Dublin thing though...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

GalwayBayBoy

I know lads who play for GAA clubs that refer to it as the GAH occasionally so it's not always used in a derogatory sense. And in Dublin it's often used by lads who actually love the GAH, sorry GAA.

BluestackBoy

Not seen as a derogatory term in Donegal either. I wouldn't use it myself but my daughter uses it all the time.

Generational thing maybe.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

screenexile

I hate it!! Even if it isn't used in a derogatory way it sounds derogatory. Why does it need to be called GAH anyway? GAA isn't that difficult to say!

Hardy

Quote from: screenexile on March 05, 2013, 04:32:06 PM
I hate it!! Even if it isn't used in a derogatory way it sounds derogatory. Why does it need to be called GAH anyway? GAA isn't that difficult to say!

Actually, I think it is quite difficult to pronounce the two vowels in sequence. You either have to stop between them or put in a sort of phantom "Y" between them - G-A-YAY. If you don't do one of those, you end up changing it to GEA or GA, like Michael Lyster.

nrico2006

I thought this topic was about what Strabane people threaten to break when they get angry with someone.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Orior

You think that's bad?

In the six counties when something stupid happens, the locals will comment "that's Irish"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

Quote from: Premier Emperor on March 05, 2013, 12:04:07 PM
The type of comments are things like:
"Premier Emperor is a big gah head",

A common phrase that.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

I can't suffer the term either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ziggysego

Colin Murphy was in Omagh on Friday night. He kept saying "Gah". It was a bit peculiar alright, but I won't lose any sleep over it.
Testing Accessibility

Wildweasel74

honestly 1st time i ever hear it!