Down v Mayo, Sat 9th March, Páirc Esler - Newry

Started by Farrandeelin, March 03, 2013, 10:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: cadence on March 09, 2013, 08:54:07 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 09, 2013, 08:48:29 PM
Well no worries of Mayo making the play-off's of the League this year. Kildare, Donegal and Cork to come. Donegal and Kildare are at home. Donegal will have more of the cobwebs shaken by then and Kildare are really up for the league. Cork is away and they won't do us any favours, there was no love lost in Castlebar in last year fixture!

Anyway if tonight's result had gone our way it would have probably meant safety in the division. As it stands, Down have gotten hope from this result. Down have Kerry next week, and both teams will see this as an opportunity to get much needed points.

Ironically, I'm beginning to think that Mayo are looking to be more like the Down model of 2010.

how comes?

May be reading to much into the League, which Horan has been experimenting with. But Like Down 2010 Mayo got a handy run into the AI Final last year. The toughest team they met were a hung over Dublin side. Anyway it's still only the league, god knows what Mayo team will emerge come summer! :P

Captain Obvious

Well done to Down big turn around from that game last August.

cadence

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 09, 2013, 09:04:32 PM
Quote from: cadence on March 09, 2013, 08:54:07 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 09, 2013, 08:48:29 PM
Well no worries of Mayo making the play-off's of the League this year. Kildare, Donegal and Cork to come. Donegal and Kildare are at home. Donegal will have more of the cobwebs shaken by then and Kildare are really up for the league. Cork is away and they won't do us any favours, there was no love lost in Castlebar in last year fixture!

Anyway if tonight's result had gone our way it would have probably meant safety in the division. As it stands, Down have gotten hope from this result. Down have Kerry next week, and both teams will see this as an opportunity to get much needed points.

Ironically, I'm beginning to think that Mayo are looking to be more like the Down model of 2010.

how comes?

May be reading to much into the League, which Horan has been experimenting with. But Like Down 2010 Mayo got a handy run into the AI Final last year. The toughest team they met were a hung over Dublin side. Anyway it's still only the league, god knows what Mayo team will emerge come summer! :P

way too bleak of an assessment. mayo were seriously good last year and will be even better this year. if you were firing on all cylinders, playing the same game as you were last year, this time of year, i'd be worried if i was a mayo fan. but you're doing exactly what you should be doing, which is trying to develop and prepare for the main event.   

ardtole

Very happy with performance tonite. O'Hare's freetaking exceptional, even a team that is playing badly can keep in touch with a player of his ability. His progression this year is definitely the most positive aspect of this years league campaign. At the start of the year I wasnt overly confident of winning in Celtic Park in the championship but Im quite happy with how the team is progressing and feel we will be tough to beat regardless of  the opposition

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Mayo will finish our last three games with a win, loss, and a draw in no particular order. Mayo will be grand. I am begining to knock Mayo out of the top 4 into the next group with Tyrone and Kildare though. The way I see it at the moment its Dublin, Donegal, Cork as the top and Tyrone, Mayo and Kildare as the the group just behind. Thats based on what I think at this point in time, all can change, it usually does. Kerry are a shocker state though.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Farrandeelin

I don't know how to assess that there tonight. We seemed to dominate possession but shot too many wides, had at least 3/4 goal chances. We keep running into tackles and losing the ball. We are incapable of using plan B. I think we're going to be in Division 2 next year. Unless the wheels start to come off the Kildare wagon tomorrow, we could be in for a harsh reality test next weekend when we play them. :-\

I wonder how Caff is? The only positive was Cathal Carolan. I'm sure Horan must be wondering, like us all about the number 6 position at this stage.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Aristo 60

God bless Donal o'hare! Great display from the boys tonight. Mcveigh back to his best but one or two kickouts could have been steered away from midfield where we were getting nothing. Much the same subs as last week, did eoin touch leather at all? 

Benny got his fill of it all night, dan did rightly and wee Paul seemed determined to put things last week behind him.

With the right results tomorrow we might just be leaving Tralee mid table!

Fair play to the decent size contingent from mayo for travelling. Safe home all.

emmetryan

writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Dubh driocht

Mayo probably should have got a point from their trip to Newry but we deserved a bit of luck after the kick in the balls last week. Our defence has improved, credit to Moyna who has done the job O'Rourke was meant to do. The Ryans look like they were born to play for Down, Benny Mc Ardle's athleticism is tremendous, Daniel is our most consistent defender while Aidan Carr has finally given us a leader at CHB. IMO he has pulled the strings perfectly in all 4 games so with Big Dan back I agree with Ardtole that Celtic Park holds more possibilities. I won't even start about Donal 0'Hare.
Mayo seem to be unhappy with our 'cynicism'-maybe the cameras saw more than I saw although Laverty did seem to jump in with his 8 stone. However Keegan, Vaughan and ,especially, Boyle aren't altar boys. I think Mayo are still more likely to stay up but the last 6 days have been about pride,passion and resilience.

ballinaman

Right, have cooled down at bit since the short spin down the M1.

Positives : O'Shea didn't too much wrong, heart beat of the team at this stage. Barry worked hard, improved from last weeks display(should have done better with goal chance,chest height straight at keeper). Caff was standing up well to Coulter who thought he'd throw his weight around. Higgins cleaned up lots of dirty ball. Cathal Carolan should be happy, had the courage to go for it when the opportunity came, quiet in open play though. Evan Regan getting a run was good to see. Doc showed well, has pushed on this year.

The bad : Take the f*cking goal chances. Glorious chances early on, didn't take them. What annoyed me too was the side line didn't seem too bothered that they took they points, I was sitting behind them.

Going to sleep for 10-15 minutes of a game regularly now, getting nailed it that time.

Horrible ball played into the FF line on a number of occasions by players who you'd expect more from.
CHB is a real worry at this stage, Donie seems unable to let the ball go quickly, had to try and beat a player and gets caught or else plays the ball off balance with a lad hanging off him and it gets intercepted.

Varley has a poor game, spilled a lot of ball. Freeman doesn't look comfortable on the ball, always feel the ball is never under his full control...turned the ball over badly which led to the free that put Down ahead in the end. Richie is having a bad run at the minute, he's a honest player and puts his body on the line for the cause so I'd always have time for him.

Other things of note, nice wee ground, friendly atmosphere. Monster free from the sideline was the winning of the match for Down, knew it wasn't our night when that went over. Whats Coulter at throwing his weight around, tried to bully Caff and Caff was having none of it, no need for it because he's a class player. Late tackle on Caff was dirt, he may be 8 stone but landed the elbow nicely.

Caff was on the bench in 2nd half Farr, looked ok.

ardtole

O'Hare was outstanding. The point from the sideline was sublime. I think we will do enough to stay up  which would  bea success considering our injury list and other absentees. 

Mourne Rover

It was only, at the end of the day, our first win during a long hard season, but it was still a performance which made us all proud to be Down people. While Mayo are a fine side, and should really have got something of this game, the way in which we came back at them and grabbed two points which seemed out of reach may push us a long way forward.

McVeigh - All Star quality, even with a couple of aimless kick-outs down the middle, but his first half punch and second half point-blank save were crucial.

McCartan - calm, reassuring and always in control.

McArdle - not always comfortable under the dropping ball but his charges out of defence were impressive.

Boyle - gets better and better, and his pace is a huge asset.

Mallon -  looking like a team leader, got his customary point and only replaced after his yellow card.

Carr - maturing into an outstanding centre half

Quinn - big effort but a second consecutive below par display.

King - not always appreciated but crucial in so many ways.

McKernan - excellent again and looking like the talent we know he is.

McComiskey - popped up everywhere and has pace to burn.

Poland - slowly getting back to his best and won a series of important frees.

Laverty - our little genius, but was on the brink of a red card.

Coulter - poor supply and not at last week's level but the late free he won was essential.

Harrison - seemed to be carrying a knock but gave everything.

O'Hare - nerveless frees made all the difference, and his left foot point from play effectively won the match.

None of the subs made a major impact, but O'Hagan probably did enough to start in Tralee. If we get at least a point there, which does not happen very often, avoiding relegation becomes a possibility.

Pangurban

Great performance from both teams in the prevailing weather conditions. Every Down man gave his all, we are starting to click as a team, and if we can continue to improve as we have been, we need fear no one.{ except maybe Bernard Brogan], but thats another days work. Plaudits too all 15 tonight, they have all staked a strong claim for Championship starts. While the returning players will bring more depth and experience, their starting places are now far from assured, and that is a nice position for any Manager to be in

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ballinaman on March 09, 2013, 11:27:36 PM
Right, have cooled down at bit since the short spin down the M1.

Positives : O'Shea didn't too much wrong, heart beat of the team at this stage. Barry worked hard, improved from last weeks display(should have done better with goal chance,chest height straight at keeper). Caff was standing up well to Coulter who thought he'd throw his weight around. Higgins cleaned up lots of dirty ball. Cathal Carolan should be happy, had the courage to go for it when the opportunity came, quiet in open play though. Evan Regan getting a run was good to see. Doc showed well, has pushed on this year.

The bad : Take the f*cking goal chances. Glorious chances early on, didn't take them. What annoyed me too was the side line didn't seem too bothered that they took they points, I was sitting behind them.

Going to sleep for 10-15 minutes of a game regularly now, getting nailed it that time.

Horrible ball played into the FF line on a number of occasions by players who you'd expect more from.
CHB is a real worry at this stage, Donie seems unable to let the ball go quickly, had to try and beat a player and gets caught or else plays the ball off balance with a lad hanging off him and it gets intercepted.

Varley has a poor game, spilled a lot of ball. Freeman doesn't look comfortable on the ball, always feel the ball is never under his full control...turned the ball over badly which led to the free that put Down ahead in the end. Richie is having a bad run at the minute, he's a honest player and puts his body on the line for the cause so I'd always have time for him.

Other things of note, nice wee ground, friendly atmosphere. Monster free from the sideline was the winning of the match for Down, knew it wasn't our night when that went over. Whats Coulter at throwing his weight around, tried to bully Caff and Caff was having none of it, no need for it because he's a class player. Late tackle on Caff was dirt, he may be 8 stone but landed the elbow nicely.

Caff was on the bench in 2nd half Farr, looked ok.

Hah!, Cool down???
I was almost home before I warmed up.  I never was at a game where the weather was as lousy except, maybe Hyde Park in July. 'Twas pure friggin' cat. ;D
Lovely town, lovely people. lousy result.
Down wanted the win a bit more than we did and kept their heads better when under pressure than Mayo did any time they lost dominance.
O'Hare's Maurice O'Sullivan style point was the highlight of the game for me. Both sides are on the same points now each needs the same slice of good luck to avoid relegation but I'd give Down a better chance of staying up than I'd give Mayo.
We've had three hard matches on the trot now and lost every one of them. For me, the biggest issue here is that all could have conceivably won.
I'm a bit worried that an element of self-doubt could  be lodged between the players' ears when they next take the field.
I'm not giving up hope or asking for Horan to walk the plank or anything like than but it will be a dogfight from here to the end.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

maigheo