Meath - The slide continues

Started by agorm, March 02, 2013, 10:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: Sea The Stars on March 03, 2013, 01:00:32 PM
Between 2008 and 2012, a period of 5 years, Meath won one u21 game in the Leinster championship. That says a lot about the quality of player that Meath have at their disposal. Off the starting team last night, all bar Harrington, Bryne and Farrell were involved in those u21 teams.

Cavan on the other hand have been performing surpisingly well at u21 level, playing in the last 3 Ulster finals, winning 2 of them. Around 9 or 10 of the Cavan starting team played on those teams.

There is nothing surprising about this result.

Nah maybe not, still you would expect a Meath team to show more fight. The game was over at half time.

Kildare u21's are suppose to very good alright. Daniel Flynn , Niall Kelly, Fionn Dowling, Podge Forgarty, very strong forward line.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 03, 2013, 01:32:22 PM
Between 2008 and 2012, a period of 5 years, Meath won one u21 game in the Leinster championship. That says a lot about the quality of player that Meath have at their disposal. Off the starting team last night, all bar Harrington, Bryne and Farrell were involved in those u21 teams.

Cavan on the other hand have been performing surpisingly well at u21 level, playing in the last 3 Ulster finals, winning 2 of them. Around 9 or 10 of the Cavan starting team played on those teams.

Nah maybe not, still you would expect a Meath team to show more fight. The game was over at half time.

Kildare u21's are suppose to very good alright. Daniel Flynn , Niall Kelly, Fionn Dowling, Podge Forgarty, very strong forward line.

The forward line is good but I wouldn't be certain about our backs and Paul Cribbin is also likely to be missing. It's five years since Kildare performed well at u21 level despite having some good teams on paper.

Meath will be back. There's too much football in the county for them to be down for long.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Captain Scarlet

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 03, 2013, 04:43:56 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on March 03, 2013, 01:32:22 PM

The forward line is good but I wouldn't be certain about our backs and Paul Cribbin is also likely to be missing. It's five years since Kildare performed well at u21 level despite having some good teams on paper.

Meath will be back. There's too much football in the county for them to be down for long.

Ah here kick them when they're down! Three wins for the Lilies and then the Meath results comin in thick and fast.
The main issue with Meath is that all we hear about is their forwards and most are very hot and cold. Also they are soft at the back. That may not sit well with them but it's true.
At KE v Kerry you had the likes of Foley and P Kellty fairly batterin the forwards.They just don't seem to have that.
Some in Meath still think they have Mick Lyons out there but they don't.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Rossfan

A handy two league points coming up for Meath next Sunday anyway.  :( :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shamrock Shore

It seems inconceivable that Meath could be playing basement football next year. There is plenty of football left in Div 3 but I would imagine if the worst case scenario does materialise then, as they used to say in Boys Own, there'll be wigs on the green.

How much would a massive 'BRING BACK BANTY' banner cost? Gold letterings on a green background. A few of us latchikos could bring it along to the next match in Navan and hang it behind the 'town' goals.

Jinxy

At this stage I would consider reverting to the pre-Boylan model (23 selectors).
If you were any use you'd be playing.

All of a Sludden

Carr: past players haven't done anything for Meath football
04 March 2013

Tommy CarrEx-Dublin manager and player Tommy Carr has criticised his former Meath opponents for not putting their shoulder to the wheel in an attempt to resuscitate the Royal County's footballing fortunes.

Carr was a guest on Sunday Sport on RTE Radio 1 yesterday along with two-time Meath All-Ireland winner Bernard Flynn.

In reaction to Meath's 1-6 to 0-15 defeat to Cavan on Saturday evening, Carr observed: "Bernard made the point that somebody needs to do something about Meath football, but none of his peers of that time have done anything.

"I know that they're experts and analysts but they haven't done anything for Meath football. It's easy to stand by and criticise."

In response Flynn remarked: "There are three players I played with, Sean Kelly, Colm Brady and Trevor Giles, three good coaches, they're involved and Mick O'Dowd is a good young manager too.

"They need time, Meath don't have the players that Dublin or Donegal have at the moment, we're not at that level at all. The lads will be disgusted with the performance, there was a lack of heart and a downright poor attitude on the field.

"Would we like to see Gerry McEntee or Colm O'Rourke there? I personally would have loved it if McEntee had stepped up."

Carr didn't subscribe to Flynn's theory about Meath not having the players.

"One of the reasons that Meath don't have the level of players that Dublin have is because they haven't put in the work at underage level.

"It's too easy and it's too lazy to sit back and say, 'We don't have the players'. Dublin have made the players, they have put the resources into the players and so have other counties but there are too many counties that haven't.

"This also chips in with this argument about splitting Dublin, but let the other counties bring their standards up, let them put in the resources, let them develop the players, but don't be looking to split a county that has put in the effort and put in the time.

"That's an easy way out for anybody who sees Dublin as bring too successful, and Leinster doesn't necessarily need Meath, that's just a nice catch-cry, there are plenty of other counties willing to put in the time and the effort, and for that they'll get their reward."

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=186909
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Jinxy

Carr was annoyed with O'Rourke and took it out on Flynn.
The big child.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

deiseach

Seems a bit cheeky. Is there some code of conduct that obligates ex-players to slop around with underage teams?

spuds

Why do people take Tommy Carr seriously ? He's surely the greatest spoofer on the media circuit (circus) at the moment. Think he is courting controversy here, maybe a bit of revenge on Colm O'Rourke for his article on dividing up Dublin.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Shamrock Shore

Maybe Carr is sniffing around the Meath job.

Is there anything to be said for having another mass?

BluestackBoy

Tommy Carr is nothing more than a wannabee RTE pundit.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Wildweasel74

there more than enough good footballers in meath for them to be a force but when they have players injured the covering players are no where near good enough. Come championship time they have enough round the middle and forward line to be dangerous but cant produce any good defenders (in a way abit like down) Meath need to play their best players in their best positions. Most teams would want a Graham Reilly. Meath need to show a bit of heart, they were never a team that took the national league seriously and were worried just about championship. but the longer they stay in Div 3 their football will deteriorate also. They have to focus and take the league seriously and try to get back in Div 2

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 04, 2013, 12:51:10 PM
Maybe Carr is sniffing around the Meath job.

Is there anything to be said for having another mass?

I'd drive him over and back myself if that is the case. It would kill two birds with the one stone.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Not enough robot manufacturers in Meath?
#newbridgeornowhere