For anyone interested in betting

Started by Smokin Joe, March 29, 2007, 08:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

.... have a look at Ladbrokes Specials under Gaelic Football.

Lone Shark has priced up what we have all been talking about here the past week or so.  Which division will selected teams be playing in next year, division 1B is especially interesting.

Lads give him your custom as no one else has the balls to price up these markets and if we don't then we probably won't be offered them in the future.

Me, I think he has made a couple of ricks but I'll let ye be the judges of that  ;)

armaghniac

Interesting indeed. It is a commentary on the system in place this year that you can have pretty similar odds for a team (e.g Westmeath) ending up in Div 1, Div 2 or Div 3!!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 29, 2007, 08:37:05 PM

Lone Star has priced up what we have all been talking about here the past week or so.  Which division will selected teams be playing in next year, division 1B is especially interesting.

He's a bit of a shark that lone Star one. :D

Smokin Joe

Quote from: never kickt a ball on March 29, 2007, 09:29:11 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 29, 2007, 08:37:05 PM

Lone Star has priced up what we have all been talking about here the past week or so.  Which division will selected teams be playing in next year, division 1B is especially interesting.

He's a bit of a shark that lone Star one. :D

Touche

Lone Shark

Once again I'm touched by the kindness of Joseph that smokes - I don't really like highlighting this stuff too often since it is a bit blatant that it's a vested interest. Having said that, I am keen to try and get Ladbrokes back to top of the table when it comes to the GAA betting market, so anything I can do, just shout.

To give credit where it's due, it was SJ himself that came up with the idea - same applies to the rest of ye - anything ye're looking for, just shout. (Just save your energy if you think I'm going to go 5/1 about Roscommon to win the Nicky Rickard Cup - the amount of people that thought I was going to fall for that one ...  ::))

As for the ricks, suffice it to say that it's not the first time we've had a difference of opinion, I guess we'll know whether they were or not by Sunday week.....  :P

Dinny Breen

LS, just curious you have Kildare priced to win 1B at 9/4 while Westmeath  and Derry are 10/1 to win 1B yet both these are then a shorter price to the Division 1 overall than Kildare. Same with Laois over Galway? And is the Kildare price to win the Leinster just reflective off the path or is there just no money coming in for Kildare?
#newbridgeornowhere

Lone Shark

Westmeath are supposed to be a bigger price - I'll get that fixed now.

Derry are a shorter price because if it came to a knockout situation where either club had to beat Donegal and then Mayo (for arguments sake) to win the league, I could visualise Derry doing it, even though I wouldn't expect it. I can't see how Kildare would be under 2/1 for either of those games. Derry have more potential to take out a big gun, notwithstanding Kildare's tendency to beat Armagh in February.

Galway, in their current situation, look like they will ether keep their form going and win the division, or else drop points to Louth which means they'll possibly miss out entirely. Basically by my permutations spreadsheet Laois are more likely to get in with 8 points than Galway are, due to who they'd probably drop the points to - it's a close thing though. Plus Galway to be consistent over a whole month? Surely not.

The price for Kildare to win Leinster is purely a reflection of the fact that were ye to do it it would almost certainly entail beating Meath, then Dublin, then Offaly, then Laois - without question the hardest won Leinster title in this decade at the very least.

The Bottom Brick

Lone Shark, have you priced the Ulster Under 21 yet?

Boyles are going 7/2 Monaghan, and 20/1 for All Ireland (bit scabby)...

Can you do any better?

Need to know soon because they're out tomorrow v Fermanagh
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Dinny Breen

Cheers LS, I think the winners of Kildare v Meath can catch Dublin cold but don't think either will win Leinster...
#newbridgeornowhere

Lone Shark

Quote from: The Bottom Brick on March 30, 2007, 03:13:27 PM
Lone Shark, have you priced the Ulster Under 21 yet?

Boyles are going 7/2 Monaghan, and 20/1 for All Ireland (bit scabby)...

Can you do any better?

Need to know soon because they're out tomorrow v Fermanagh

I don't see where you're getting that on Boyles, but my outright is 40/1 on Monaghan, which is online, and 7/1 about Ulster which you'll get if you ring up. If you want it in a shop just let me know which and I'll let them know.

What price were Boyles on the other teams?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Lone Shark on March 30, 2007, 03:07:07 PMThe price for Kildare to win Leinster is purely a reflection of the fact that were ye to do it it would almost certainly entail beating Meath, then Dublin, then Offaly, then Laois - without question the hardest won Leinster title in this decade at the very least.

Substitute a Wexford team who were near the height of their recent revival in footballing fortunes for an Eastmeath team that will do God knows what this year and you have Westmeaths path to their maiden Delaney Cup in 04. Sorry to drag the topic off track but it would be no means "without question".
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Lone Shark

Big difference.

For a start Wexford, for all their "Revival" have still never got further than a Leinster semi, something even bad Meath teams tend to do most years. Secondly, when ye beat Dublin they were anything but the dominant force (in a Leinster context) they are now.

That's before we enter into the controversial issues like wide balls and suspended players.

Croí na hÉireann

Wexford got to the 2005 league final, no matter how weak you can profess 1B to be or not this is still a good indicator of how good that team was.

I honestly don't think much has changed regarding the Dublin team despite popular opinion. On their day they have the potential to run over most teams, then and now. They should have Kerry buried by half time in the 2004 quarter final and gave Armagh a right good rattle in the fourth round qualifer in 2003. Sure Dublin have won the last two Leinsters but Laois were unlucky to lose against them in 2005 as were the Slashers last year, so IMHO not much has changed since Tommy Lyons took charge in 2002.

It was one wide ball (we've had loads of hair-line decisions go against us down the years, we got ONE for us that day) and it was one suspended player, not that's got anything to do with the hardest won Leinster in the zeros.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 30, 2007, 05:06:27 PM
I honestly don't think much has changed regarding the Dublin team despite popular opinion. On their day they have the potential to run over most teams, then and now. They should have Kerry buried by half time in the 2004 quarter final and gave Armagh a right good rattle in the fourth round qualifer in 2003. Sure Dublin have won the last two Leinsters but Laois were unlucky to lose against them in 2005 as were the Slashers last year, so IMHO not much has changed since Tommy Lyons took charge in 2002.
If Dublin have maintained the same level, then Westmeath have regressed massively on the evidence of last year's quarter final between the two sides.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 30, 2007, 05:10:21 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 30, 2007, 05:06:27 PM
If Dublin have maintained the same level, then Westmeath have regressed massively on the evidence of last year's quarter final between the two sides.

Dunno if it was stage fright that day or what. We haven't done ourselves justice in Croker since 2004, hopefully we get back there this year to put that right. 2006 was a bit of a stop start season with us what with injuries to key players and blooding of youngsters.

Still though, u have to get to a quarter-final to compete...  ;)