Three Hours of Sunlight Per Day Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2013

Started by drici, February 17, 2013, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

On what are you basing this?  Have you seen all the other teams play?  Have you even seen Ballinderry play?
Careful now

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dubh driocht on November 03, 2013, 04:30:08 PM
Kilcoo did Down proud today- fair play- does anyone know if Aaron Kernan will be fit for the replay ?
Not a sentence you see too often.

nrico2006

Did down proud how? By drawing with a crossmaglen side missing a third of their team?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

general_lee

Kilcoo were also forced into making a number of changes with key men having to come off. I didn't realise that AK, PK and Jamie Clarke equated to a third of the Cross team?

In any case a great spectacle today, Kilcoo will probably be kicking themselves but at the same time relieved to still be in it. Overall I think they should have won, major blunder for the Cross goal when Kilcoo were really cruising and looking like they would close the game out. That gave Cross a huge lease of life and saw to a hugely entertaining finish. Cross are also lucky, McNamee could have seen red early on.

Feckitt

Absolutely amazing game.  Lots of hard hitting from start to finish.  Darragh O'Hanlon scored a monster free for Kilcoo right at the end, the same as he did in the County Final v Burren.

Kilcoo had a great goal chance in the second half of extra time, but it went into the side netting.  A couple of middle aged Kilcoo men lost the plot in the stand just before half time.  They should have been put out, but the stewarts were reluctant to get involved.

Both teams did themselves proud.  It was tough going throughout.  The referee was great, he just let them play away.  Some other dick of a ref could have sent half of them off.  Ryan Johnston was Man of the Match.  J Hanratty, Garbhan Carragher and T Kernan were excellent for Cross.

orangeman

Quote from: Feckitt on November 03, 2013, 05:57:10 PM
Absolutely amazing game.  Lots of hard hitting from start to finish.  Darragh O'Hanlon scored a monster free for Kilcoo right at the end, the same as he did in the County Final v Burren.

Kilcoo had a great goal chance in the second half of extra time, but it went into the side netting.  A couple of middle aged Kilcoo men lost the plot in the stand just before half time.  They should have been put out, but the stewarts were reluctant to get involved.

Both teams did themselves proud.  It was tough going throughout.  The referee was great, he just let them play away.  Some other dick of a ref could have sent half of them off.  Ryan Johnston was Man of the Match.  J Hanratty, Garbhan Carragher and T Kernan were excellent for Cross.

Interesting.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: general_lee on November 03, 2013, 05:56:05 PM
Kilcoo were also forced into making a number of changes with key men having to come off. I didn't realise that AK, PK and Jamie Clarke equated to a third of the Cross team?

Add in James Morgan and Aaron Cunningham and there is a third of the team. 

Anyway, I won't say too much at this stage as it is just half time.  The team that recovers physically the best will win the replay, an awful lot of hits today(clean and not so clean).   Either team could have won it but the draw was probably the truest result over the 80 minutes. 

general_lee

Apologies, had assumed A Cunningham was fit, he basically spent the game warming up right in front of me.

For me, both teams are extremely well conditioned and have great strength in depth. I felt Cross really missed AK's leadership/influence today and for that alone he would be a massive boost and could well be the difference, what exactly is his injury?

Part of me thinks Kilcoo have missed the boat, but I've been wrong before calling games like these!

general_lee

Quote from: orangeman on November 03, 2013, 06:02:15 PM

Interesting.
As a neutral I think the ref let a lot go, both sets of players showed great discipline (to an extent) keeping their calm over the hour and 20 mins when lesser players would have snapped and earned themselves a red for reacting. If we get half the entertainment we got today we'll be in for a good game!

brokencrossbar1

AK was a big lose today and as you say general lee his calmness and leadership would have been very important at key times.  Anway, still in the pot and things willbe different next weekIthink.

orangeman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 03, 2013, 06:27:45 PM
AK was a big lose today and as you say general lee his calmness and leadership would have been very important at key times.  Anway, still in the pot and things willbe different next weekIthink.

AK and CUnningham back next week ?

When is Jamie Clarke back ?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: orangeman on November 03, 2013, 06:29:15 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 03, 2013, 06:27:45 PM

AK and CUnningham back next week ?

When is Jamie Clarke back ?

None of these players will be available next week, Jamie won't be back till Christmas

Feckitt

Quote from: general_lee on November 03, 2013, 06:27:12 PM
Quote from: orangeman on November 03, 2013, 06:02:15 PM

Interesting.
As a neutral I think the ref let a lot go, both sets of players showed great discipline (to an extent) keeping their calm over the hour and 20 mins when lesser players would have snapped and earned themselves a red for reacting. If we get half the entertainment we got today we'll be in for a good game!

Yeah, this could have been a stop start game with 18 bookings, 3 red cards, and a load of time wasted.  The referee wasn't perfect(how could you be in a match like this), but he realised that these are all tough men, well able to handle themselves.  Both sides gave it and took it and there was no crying.  The ref let them play away, warts and all.  It was a thoroughly entertaining game of good hard football.

SHEEDY

really good match in newry today. both sides gave everything for the cause. only for a really bad mistake in the kilcoo defence which gifted cross a goal, I think kilcoo would have won in normal time. thought cross had the momentum going into extra time and were going to go on and win it but fair play to kilcoo who dug deep again at the end to snatch a deserved replay.
what a point by darragh O'Hanlon at the death, he could have passed responsibility after missing a few easier frees.
nil satis nisi optimum

timmyot501

Was in clones today. Scotstown were unlucky enough. A few strange decisions. Gilligan scored a free which myself and a few around me felt was wide. There was also a ball given as a line ball that was no way over the line. Another dodgy sludden decision. That said it was a decent enough contest. Scotstown struggled around the middle which prob cost them most and taking Corrigan off was very strange as he was winning most of the ball that came his way.