Three Hours of Sunlight Per Day Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2013

Started by drici, February 17, 2013, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Schkite on October 29, 2013, 06:17:33 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 29, 2013, 01:28:32 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on October 29, 2013, 12:50:47 PM
Was checking the odds on this weekends matches, nothing really standing out at the moment.

Ballinderry 4-11 Scotstown 11-4

Ballinderry are favourites surely but 11-4 looks very big for a team with the Hughes brothers on it.

Didn't think the odds would be that short myself, but Ballinderry are big favourites no doubt. A much more experienced team at this level obviously, whereas Scotstown are after winning their first title in 20 years, it will be interesting to see if they can replicate their hunger from the Monaghan final. They'll need much bigger games from the Hughes's, neither were particularly great in the Monaghan final, and if they persist with the baffling tactic of Kieran Hughes at full-back they go nowhere, but I doubt they will.

The funny thing is that baffling as it was to play him full back I reckon he would actually make an excellent CHB and played much of his underage football there.  He has the attributes to dominate in the position probably more than Darren has too as he can hold the position well and is a very good distributor of the ball.  He is probably better facing the ball than having to turn and if you had him in the centre and Darren on the wing I reckon they would compliment each other very well.  Still think Ballinderry will shade this one as they are very focused this year. 

Estimator

I see Ballinderry beat Scotstown in the 2008 Ulster Minor Club Final. Are there many players from these teams togging out on Sunday?
Ulster League Champions 2009

rodney trotter

This was the teams that started that day

BALLINDERRY: S Cassidy; E Anderson, E Wilson, J Martin; P McIvor, C Rocks, K Forbes; J Devlin, A Devlin (0-1); M Devlin, R Scullion (1-5, 0-3 frees), D McGuckin; F Bell (1-1), G McGeehan (0-1), T Martin. Subs: R Wilkinson for M Devlin (58 mins), C Devlin for Martin, inj (61 mins).

SCOTSTOWN: S Gilheaney; K Traenor, K Hughes (0-1), M McPhillips; P Sheehan, D McArdle, M Corrigan; G Turley, P O'Hara; S Carey, M Traenor, D Heaphey; P Sherlock (2-0), A McCarey (0-5, 0-2 frees), C Caulfield. Subs: D McCague (0-1) for Sheehan (19 mins).

Aaron McCarey is with Wolves now.

GerryFromDerry

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 30, 2013, 12:49:50 PM

BALLINDERRY: S Cassidy; E Anderson, E Wilson, J Martin; P McIvor, C Rocks, K Forbes; J Devlin, A Devlin (0-1); M Devlin, R Scullion (1-5, 0-3 frees), D McGuckin; F Bell (1-1), G McGeehan (0-1), T Martin. Subs: R Wilkinson for M Devlin (58 mins), C Devlin for Martin, inj (61 mins).

SCOTSTOWN: S Gilheaney; K Traenor, K Hughes (0-1), M McPhillips; P Sheehan, D McArdle, M Corrigan; G Turley, P O'Hara; S Carey, M Traenor, D Heaphey; P Sherlock (2-0), A McCarey (0-5, 0-2 frees), C Caulfield. Subs: D McCague (0-1) for Sheehan (19 mins).

Ballinderry will have 2 from that team starting on sunday. Aaron Devlin and Dermot McGuckin
Up the Shamrocks!

nrico2006

Quote from: GerryFromDerry on October 30, 2013, 01:17:07 PM

Ballinderry will have 2 from that team starting on sunday. Aaron Devlin and Dermot McGuckin

Does R Scullion still play?  What about McGeehan?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

brokencrossbar1

Scotstown will have at least 7 of that squad with Hughes, McArdle, O'Hara and S Carey definite starters

GerryFromDerry

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 30, 2013, 01:20:39 PM

Ryan Scullion is in Austrailia. McGeehan hasnt played in a couple of years. Had various injuries I think
Up the Shamrocks!

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gabriel_Hurl

Did I see right and that BBC will be streaming all 4 games this weekend?

GerryFromDerry

I see wee Joey is stoking the fire before Sunday!

Father won't attend Ulster club game over abuse
31 October 2013

The father of a Crossmaglen player that was racially abused during last December's Ulster club final against Kilcoo has said he won't be attending the two clubs' latest encounter this coming Sunday on a point of principle.

Following a complaint from Crossmaglen's Aaron Cunningham on the matter, the Ulster Council banned one Kilcoo supporter for life and issued a four-month ban to Kilcoo player Aidan Branagan.

Both clubs have since expressed their desire to put the issue to bed, but Cunningham's father, Joey, has stated that he doesn't feel the punishment was appropriate. A hearings committee imposed a four-month suspension on Branagan, which was reduced from an original proposal of six months.

"I won't go to the game," Cunningham told The Irish Times. "Definitely not. Just out of principle. I know that if somebody said something to my son again, I know what would happen. I definitely won't go. I couldn't look at them. That's the truth.

"Speaking to people in their club, they promised to do this, that and the other and they went and did the opposite. I did the right thing by them - I could have torn that club to bits if I had wanted to.

"But I didn't want to do that because there's an awful lot of good people there in that club and they wouldn't have deserved it. I know some of them very, very well. And, to be honest, they let me down and they let my son down."

As an Irish League soccer player for Portadown in the 1980s, Cunningham found himself on the receiving end of racial abuse several times and insists the whole affair from the two teams' last meeting will keep him away from Newry this Sunday.

"We didn't get satisfaction but it is what it is," he said. "The GAA dealt with it the best way they could and there's nothing more to be said. It's done and dusted, you know? That's the way it is. I don't dwell on it and I can't think about it because you just have to move on. They just showed themselves for what they are and people can make their own minds up.

"I choose to let the GAA deal with it. I just wanted them to sort it out. But as far as I'm concerned, that's life. What do you do? You live and you learn. I'm not going to go through my whole life dwelling on it or thinking about it. I'm honestly not. Aaron turned the other cheek. Cross won the match and that's the most important thing.

"But at the end of the day, I can choose to be somewhere or not to be somewhere. I'm choosing not to be there because of the people involved. I really don't have any love for them. And I don't want it to turn into a circus either."

Up the Shamrocks!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: GerryFromDerry on October 31, 2013, 04:12:34 PM
I see wee Joey is stoking the fire before Sunday!

Father won't attend Ulster club game over abuse
31 October 2013

The father of a Crossmaglen player that was racially abused during last December's Ulster club final against Kilcoo has said he won't be attending the two clubs' latest encounter this coming Sunday on a point of principle.

Following a complaint from Crossmaglen's Aaron Cunningham on the matter, the Ulster Council banned one Kilcoo supporter for life and issued a four-month ban to Kilcoo player Aidan Branagan.

Both clubs have since expressed their desire to put the issue to bed, but Cunningham's father, Joey, has stated that he doesn't feel the punishment was appropriate. A hearings committee imposed a four-month suspension on Branagan, which was reduced from an original proposal of six months.

"I won't go to the game," Cunningham told The Irish Times. "Definitely not. Just out of principle. I know that if somebody said something to my son again, I know what would happen. I definitely won't go. I couldn't look at them. That's the truth.

"Speaking to people in their club, they promised to do this, that and the other and they went and did the opposite. I did the right thing by them - I could have torn that club to bits if I had wanted to.

"But I didn't want to do that because there's an awful lot of good people there in that club and they wouldn't have deserved it. I know some of them very, very well. And, to be honest, they let me down and they let my son down."

As an Irish League soccer player for Portadown in the 1980s, Cunningham found himself on the receiving end of racial abuse several times and insists the whole affair from the two teams' last meeting will keep him away from Newry this Sunday.

"We didn't get satisfaction but it is what it is," he said. "The GAA dealt with it the best way they could and there's nothing more to be said. It's done and dusted, you know? That's the way it is. I don't dwell on it and I can't think about it because you just have to move on. They just showed themselves for what they are and people can make their own minds up.

"I choose to let the GAA deal with it. I just wanted them to sort it out. But as far as I'm concerned, that's life. What do you do? You live and you learn. I'm not going to go through my whole life dwelling on it or thinking about it. I'm honestly not. Aaron turned the other cheek. Cross won the match and that's the most important thing.

"But at the end of the day, I can choose to be somewhere or not to be somewhere. I'm choosing not to be there because of the people involved. I really don't have any love for them. And I don't want it to turn into a circus either."

Stoking the fire?? Gerry his son was racially abused!!!

theticklemister

Quote from: GerryFromDerry on October 30, 2013, 02:08:03 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 30, 2013, 01:20:39 PM

BALLINDERRY: S Cassidy; E Anderson, E Wilson, J Martin; P McIvor, C Rocks, K Forbes; J Devlin, A Devlin (0-1); M Devlin, R Scullion (1-5, 0-3 frees), D MciGuckin; F Bell (1-1), G McGeehan (0-1), T Martin. Subs: R Wilkinson for M Devlin (58 mins), C Devlin for Martin, inj (61 mins).

You stole my 2 questions!!!!
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 30, 2013, 11:40:55 PM
Seems we are favs now for Sunday, PP can't make their mind up

They seen my write up about the game on the michael murphy thread..
Ryan Scullion is in Austrailia. McGeehan hasnt played in a couple of years. Had various injuries I think

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

haranguerer

The radio programme which is covering all four games is being streamed yis eejits, not video coverage of the matches themselves

Feckitt

Is any website anywhere showing this game?

If not, can you get the BBC Radio link from their website if you are in New York?