Three Hours of Sunlight Per Day Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2013

Started by drici, February 17, 2013, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2013, 09:38:02 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 11, 2013, 08:40:00 AM
Kilcoo won fair and square over the 2 games they whadthe strongest squad available and that was the key.  Yesterday it was clear that the last 4 years really took their toll on a lot of bodies. Outside of the players unavailable there were a few playing with injuries and they were hampered.  Anyway best of luck to Kilcoo. Ballinderry will be hard to beat and are really focused.  Glenswilly are the one's who are really laughing here.  They should beat roslea and will face a team who has played exceptionally physical games and the body can only do so much.

For us next year is next year.  We will have players back and maybe players gone but we will be there and I have a feeling that we will have a big focus.  Defeat hurts hard.
Are you running out of talent? What happens when the Kernans retire? It is still a sad fact that the rest of Armagh football has some way to go to catch you up.

No we're not running out of talent, you take 7 starters out of any team be it cub or county and they will be heavily weakened.  Paul Hearty is 36, Aaron and Stephen are 29/30, Tony Kernan, Mickey Mc, are 27/28, the rest of the team are 25 and under.  Once the new season starts we will have a group of players back fresh and hopefully injury free.  People forget that these lads have been playing non-stop since January 2010.  They will have 2 months off now and hopefully the county management respect that they need a break.  Whatever about Jamie and where he will be by the time the next championship begins but we will have 3-4 starting payers back and a group of fresher players.  If we can keep the thing within the county tight for the next 3-4 years there is a group of young lads coming through that are as good as the club has seen for many years.

FermGael

How many times have clubs who have beat Cross in the first round/semi final went on to win the Ulster Club championship?

I know that Enniskillen beat them but the 1 week break was not enough as we got put out the next week by Scotstown. 

The two games plus extra time will have taken a lot out of Kilcoo, both physically and mentally.
A very big ask next week for them against Ballinderry.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

rodney trotter

Quote from: MK on November 11, 2013, 12:23:58 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 11, 2013, 12:00:39 AM
Kilcoo can only beat in front what's in front of them. Crossmaglen would still have a strong panel without those star names. From listening to the game today, Kilcoo were the better side for 50 minutes. And put up a very good performance last year in the Ulster final after a poor start. All the remaining teams have a good chance, Kilcoo maybe slightly ahead and should be favs. They will obviously rest this week and be ready for next week.

Kilcoo maybe slightly ahead and should be favs

Ballinderry have won ulsters an all ireland ..,......

Kilcoo won a match today......not a trophy...

Ballinderry have flattered to deceive for a few years since they won Ulster and All Ireland. Nobody said Kilcoo  won a trophy

LeoMc

Quote from: FermGael on November 11, 2013, 09:56:42 AM
How many times have clubs who have beat Cross in the first round/semi final went on to win the Ulster Club championship?

I know that Enniskillen beat them but the 1 week break was not enough as we got put out the next week by Scotstown. 

The two games plus extra time will have taken a lot out of Kilcoo, both physically and mentally.

Errigal played them 3 weeks in a row, I'm sure at least one of those went to extra time, and then beat Ballinderry the following week and Enniskillen the week after that. Sometimes it can tire you out, sometimes it makes you mentally tougher.

supersub

Quote from: FermGael on November 11, 2013, 09:56:42 AM

Why mentally? They have just beaten the team who beat them in the Ulster final last year (and the best club side in the country over the last decade). If anything it will have helped them mentally.

Feckitt

FermGael

Kilcoo seemed to have been preparing for this one game all year.
It was there main focus after the defeat last year.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

BennyCake

Quote from: Feckitt on November 11, 2013, 11:47:03 AM
Were they charging £7 for children yesterday?  :o

Wouldn't have thought so. Kids got in for free in Newry last week.

armaghniac

In the present period (1996 onwards) Cross have won 10 Ulsters and been beaten 6 times in Ulster, but I think the only team that beat them and went on to win Ulster was The Loup in 2003.

Kilcoo have beaten Burren and Cross, so have every reason to be think that they can match the best in Ulster. You could say that Burren and Cross didn't play well, but some of this is down to close order defending from Kilcoo.

Kilcoo will not be easily beaten, they defend  is sticky and they hold possession when they have it. That said, Ballinderry are in a good position of having experience as a vclub but not having been in the recent battles.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

A comment on the ref, it is not often you hear praise for a ref but I have to say that McQuillan handled the game very well and got all the big calls correct. He was helped as well by 2 teams more or less trying to play the game better than the precious week. The 2 sendings off for Cross were correct and borne completely out of frustration at the situation and we can have no complaints. I was too far away from the Kilcoo on to comment on it. The penalty was clear-cut.

charlieTully

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 11, 2013, 02:28:48 PM
A comment on the ref, it is not often you hear praise for a ref but I have to say that McQuillan handled the game very well and got all the big calls correct. He was helped as well by 2 teams more or less trying to play the game better than the precious week. The 2 sendings off for Cross were correct and borne completely out of frustration at the situation and we can have no complaints. I was too far away from the Kilcoo on to comment on it. The penalty was clear-cut.

would have to disagree there, anytime any kilcoo players slowed up a free etc the ball was moved forward yet when cross were at the same craic, and dragging lads down preventing runs the same did not apply. he gave a throw ball for a kilcoo player taking to long on a free out resulting in a cross score, I thought most of the 50-50 decisions went cross's way. he was even wearing the cross colours :)

armaghniac

I think the ref was fair enough, Kilcoo were blatently and persistently delaying frees and he moved the ball up a few times. It worked as they stopped doing this to the same extent.

QuoteThe 2 sendings off for Cross were correct and borne completely out of frustration at the situation and we can have no complaints.

The black card rule will have an interesting effect. It may reduce the number of rugby tackles and consequent retaliations.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on November 11, 2013, 02:53:25 PM
I think the ref was fair enough, Kilcoo were blatently and persistently delaying frees and he moved the ball up a few times. It worked as they stopped doing this to the same extent.

QuoteThe 2 sendings off for Cross were correct and borne completely out of frustration at the situation and we can have no complaints.

The black card rule will have an interesting effect. It may reduce the number of rugby tackles and consequent retaliations.

Exactly what I said yesterday.  I suppose Kilcoo are making the most of it this year as they're fucked from next season :P

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 11, 2013, 02:57:39 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 11, 2013, 02:53:25 PM

Exactly what I said yesterday.  I suppose Kilcoo are making the most of it this year as they're fucked from next season :P

I played a hurling match yesterday (I know Nov!!) anyways the referee played the advantage rule throughout the match, he didn't play the pulling down or blocking off rule but the advantage rule was very good, worked really well on a couple of occasions
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea