St Brigids v Ballymun St Patricks Day 2013

Started by orangeman, February 16, 2013, 05:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Line Ball

Quote from: All of a Sludden on March 17, 2013, 05:27:17 PM
Congratulations to St Brigids, they probably just deserved it, but Ballymun will be kicking themselves. They gave the ball away far too easily in the closing stages and missed a few easy chances. Thought the ref could have allowed at least one more play to develop with Ballymun in possession and time not quite up, though over all the ref was ok.

I thought he did rightly throughout.  Time was up (1 extra minute) and he blew it - you couldn't really blame him for that?

the Deel Rover

Congrats to St Brigids delighted for them as they have been knocking on the door the past few years. No better feeling than bringing Andy Merrigan back to your club so enjoy it. It's nice to see Andy crossing the shannon again. I'm trying to think of the connacht teams that have won it since we did in 2001 , Ballina, Salthill, and Now Brigids ( have i left any one out) not a bad return at all. Contgrats to the 2 Mc s from ballina and hard luck to James Burke.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 17, 2013, 06:20:35 PM
Congrats to St Brigids delighted for them as they have been knocking on the door the past few years. No better feeling than bringing Andy Merrigan back to your club so enjoy it. It's nice to see Andy crossing the shannon again. I'm trying to think of the connacht teams that have won it since we did in 2001 , Ballina, Salthill, and Now Brigids ( have i left any one out)

Caltra in 2004.

belleaqua

[/quote]

Caltra in 2004.
[/quote]

Probably is and will remain one of the most remarkable club All Ireland victory's in terms of achievement too!

Well done St. Brigid's.

Syferus

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on March 17, 2013, 05:11:10 PM
That was some finish.  Ballymun gave away possession far to easily the last few minutes. Keeper and the number 10 both giving away vital ball at end. Well done to St Bridget's although that clown in nets was turning me in Ballymuns favour.  It's all about him in his eyes!

That clown is a national treasure.

ross4life

What a day and what a night it will be ;D No doubt in my mind the better team won. After poor 10mins St Brigids outscored Ballymun by 9pts probably should have won it by more if they didn't kick a number of scoring opportunities into the goalkeepers hands, it was almost written in the stars that Frankie would get the winning score. Hard luck Ballymun a good effort against vastly experience side they are a young side & should be back in the years ahead.

Experience was key today some performances from the likes of Senan Kilbride,Frankie Dolan,Karl Mannion and what more can be said about the living legend Cake Curran? leaders all of them and match winners.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

orangeman

Any team that fights back from bring 8 points down in an all ireland final to win it thoroughly deserves it.

There was no luck or a dodgy penalty to bring them back into it.

Fair play St. Brigids.

Hard luck Ballymun who will be going away scratching their heads wondering how they conspired to lose.

Rock and Furman looked like all stars in the first half and went missing for large parts of the 2nd half. They probbly should have been brought out the field in the second when things were not going their way.

Missed frees from Rock etc were killer blows. Giving the ball away was a big feature of the game on both sides.

ranch

Quote from: ranch on March 17, 2013, 03:35:17 PM
Done a bet yesterday .. B.Munich, Louth, Derry -3 and St. Brigid's. Come on!

Yesssssss  ;D

Syferus

On my count 11 times since 1944 Roscommon senior sides have reached the final day and, of course, none won. The fact we've suffered so many false dawns, that many Roscommon men and women lived their entire lives without seeing a Roscommon side climb the Hogan Stand - Dermot Earley among those greats - somehow makes today even sweeter. We know how privileged we are to be around to see this moment, to be apart of it. We know the true worth of the medals the men from Kiltoom and Cam earnt today.

If ever we needed proof that you don't have to let your past define your future as a team, as a county, St. Brigid's delivered it a style that makes them worthy of being called the best team in Ireland.

From Roscommon, the All-Ireland champions St. Brigid's. It has a nice ring to it.

Denn Forever

Great game and well done both sides.

Lesson learned - Roscommon need Mayo manager.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

armaghniac

A gutsy performance by Brigids. Real determination by Roscommon men to enter the promised land, with a bit of help from Mayo leadership, of course.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Declan

Very enjoyable day in Croker. Given the conditions fair play to all the teams involved in putting on such performances. Sitting amongst the St thomas's supporters for the hurling and to say they were relieved at fulltime is an understatement - thought they deserved it though.
Football was a great game and after getting so close it's hard to begrudge Brigids their day in the sun. Their experience got them over the line. Thought they had blown it with the last few chances but they got the right man on the ball at the end.
Hard luck to Ballymun a valiant effort.

BC - tell Paudie I gave him 8/10 ;)

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross4life on March 17, 2013, 05:47:04 PM
Indeed seafoid he would say mighty altogether. at 84 years young Gerry o'malley is the brigids legend and his wish was to see his club win all ireland, i'll die happy if they do it he said.
I'm delighted to find that Gerry O'Malley is still very much with us. I can just about remember him as a player and without a doubt he was a star. Gerry was popular with friend and foe alike. He'll have good reason too celebrate tonight and so will Brigid's fans everywhere.
Ballymun will be left wondering what might have been but they had their chances and didn't take enough of them. Seven points up after as many minutes and they still couldn't close it out.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

:) :D ;D 8)
Good day to be a Ross man in Croker... although after the first 5 or 8 minutes it didn't look like it.
Great to see the a Senior All Ireland coming to Ros and hopefully it will inspire the County teams to greater deeds.
Senan massive today as was Mango. Frankie may not have been that hectic but he did get the last 2 points and after all the kicking into keepers hands and fumbles/ turnovers etc he was just the man you'd want with the ball in hand and the game to be won.
As for those lads saying Hughes should have allowed Ballymun an overtime attack at the end - he already did that in the first half - 2 minutes allowed yet there was 32.40 on the clock when B'mun got their 6th point.
Ah well it doesn't matter now the cup is in our fair County and let's hope it willl be followed by a few County All Irelands in the next few years.
P S Syferus was  insufferable before now so let him have his moment of glory ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

maigheo

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 17, 2013, 08:08:51 PM
Great game and well done both sides.

Lesson learned - Roscommon need Mayo manager.
they had one and stupidly got rid of him ;)