St Brigids v Ballymun St Patricks Day 2013

Started by orangeman, February 16, 2013, 05:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Quote from: Syferus on March 08, 2013, 09:40:52 PM
What do the Armagh posters think about Paudie Hughes as a ref?

Lets put it like this. irrespective of how he refs the game, he will find away to make sure that viewers remember him

emmetryan

Hi lads

I've posted a video breakdown of Ballymun's defence hers http://action81.com/blog/?p=6880

Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Syferus on March 08, 2013, 09:57:56 PM
Quote from: johnpower on March 08, 2013, 09:44:56 PM
While I would normally have great time for Roscommon football I did not like the tactics they applied in the semi final especially the shite their manager has spouted over the years.

You mean the tactics that lead Cross to become the best club side of all-time, then.

Brigid's were the first team since 2009 that hung with Cross physically, tactically and mentally. If you expected anything less than a game of hard tackling and minimal space and slowing the ball down high up the field then you didn't know either side.

McStay is a decent sort willing to put his money where his mouth is, which is more than you could ever say about almost all the other talking heads.

Clearly you didn't watch the AI club final last year.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rudi

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 12, 2013, 11:21:28 AM
While I would normally have great time for Roscommon football I did not like the tactics they applied in the semi final especially the shite their manager has spouted over the years.

You mean the tactics that lead Cross to become the best club side of all-time, then.

Brigid's were the first team since 2009 that hung with Cross physically, tactically and mentally. If you expected anything less than a game of hard tackling and minimal space and slowing the ball down high up the field then you didn't know either side.

McStay is a decent sort willing to put his money where his mouth is, which is more than you could ever say about almost all the other talking heads.

A true reflection of where Cross and Garrycastle were at last year, was the replay. Garrycastle could not even get out of Westmeath this year. Dessie Dolan aside Garrycastle are only a mediocre team.

spuds

Quote from: Rudi on March 12, 2013, 01:06:58 PM

A true reflection of where Cross and Garrycastle were at last year, was the replay. Garrycastle could not even get out of Westmeath this year. Dessie Dolan aside Garrycastle are only a midlan team.

Midland ??
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Rudi

@ Spuds, slang for average, mediocre, mainstream, regular etc.  Good luck to the Biddies on Sunday.

shark

A true reflection of where Cross and Garrycastle were at last year, was the replay. Garrycastle could not even get out of Westmeath this year. Dessie Dolan aside Garrycastle are only a mediocre team.

Who won Leinster last year and deservedly beat St.Brigid's with 14 men in the All-Ireland semi. Not buying the mediocre tag.  They are no world beaters and are certainly past their best, but if you want mediocre then look towards the opposition St.Brigid's have to beat in Roscommon.  And Garrycastle couldn't get out of Westmeath this year because they were narrowly beaten by a Mullingar Shamrocks team whose players make up 1/3 of the Westmeath team that's riding high in division 2.

Off topic, I know, but couldn't let that lie.

Syferus

By hanging with them I meant beating them, or even looking likely. I was hugely impressed by Garrycastle's first 45 minutes but after that the only hanging going on was Castle clinging onto Cross' coat-tails for dear life as they crowded the middle and had their way up the field. Not only were Garrycastle physically shot by the end, they got out-foxed tactically. I was just relieved by the end that Castle had got the draw and if you're honest so were most Westmeath supporters.

I was extremely disappointed by their performance in the replay and it highlighted the difference in level between the sides; Garrycastle were a team on a great roll, Cross were a great team.

Rudi

Shark Wrote
Who won Leinster last year and deservedly beat St.Brigid's with 14 men in the All-Ireland semi. Not buying the mediocre tag.  They are no world beaters and are certainly past their best, but if you want mediocre then look towards the opposition St.Brigid's have to beat in Roscommon.  And Garrycastle couldn't get out of Westmeath this year because they were narrowly beaten by a Mullingar Shamrocks team whose players make up 1/3 of the Westmeath team that's riding high in division 2.

Off topic, I know, but couldn't let that lie.
[/quote]

No secret that Brigids aside, club football in Ros is poor enough. However the most difficult game Brigids had this year, (apart from Cross) was the county final v Pearses. Very lucky to win that game. You say Garrycastle are "past their best" after only one year at the top. That semi final last year, Brigids thought they had it in the bag at half time, silly mistake and Garrycastle did play some decent stuff in the second half. Fair play to Westmeath - top of division 2, as a neighbour I wish Westmeath well. This is way off topic.

ross4life

Garrycastle was real fairy tale story last year they did great & got within inches of winning the All Ireland this year Ballymun are doing the same & they may go one better than Garrycastle (hope they don't) and if you look at the Dublin 2013 championship odds they aren't favourites to win it that alone tells you how well they have done.

As for the game itself it's intriguing final it will probably be low scoring as both sides are strong defensively. Frankie can't afford to miss scorable frees this time or Brigids can't allow the Ballymun wing half backs the freedom of the park like Dr Crokes did. I think St Brigids will win by a point or two they have been there or thereabouts for the last 6 years or so if any side deserves All Ireland it's certainly them but i know very well if they don't bring their A game on Sunday Ballymun will win.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2013, 03:58:45 PM

By hanging with them I meant beating them, or even looking likely. I was hugely impressed by Garrycastle's first 45 minutes but after that the only hanging going on was Castle clinging onto Cross' coat-tails for dear life as they crowded the middle and had their way up the field. Not only were Garrycastle physically shot by the end, they got out-foxed tactically. I was just relieved by the end that Castle had got the draw and if you're honest so were most Westmeath supporters.

So drawing with a team doesn't qualify as hanging with a team? Jesus Wept.

More nonsense. Shark has already addressed that but I will add that Garrycastle only beat Shamrocks after a replay that year and there hasn't been much between them for the last 3 years. Garrycastle's experience was getting them through until last year when Shamrocks finally snuck it. As for Garrycastle only a mediocre team, well they reached the Leinster Final in 2009, Kilmacud Crokes beat them in the semi in 2010 and they won Leinster in 2011. Think that's enough attention paid to the Rossie WUMs.

Back to the final, I was hoping some sons of Westmeath would be walking up the steps of the Hogan Stand on Sunday, but revelations in another thread has me revising this.

Syferus

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 12, 2013, 05:47:31 PM

You missed the first line, didn't you?  :-*

Coming into an AI final thread your club or county isn't involved in and calling people there WUMs. That's a new one, Croi.

Rudi is big enough to defend himself but I never called Garrycastle mediocre. They were (and may be in the future, who knows) a very good side but they were up against a great team in Cross.

To compare the tape, Brigids finished within a score of Cross and got a win over them on the third attempt; to me that says there was no element of surprise to Brigids performance. Garrycastle competed better than anyone had since 2009 with Cross for 45 minutes but after that it was essentially one-way traffic and Cross could easily argue they were unlucky motto have won that game late on while Garrycastle could hardly make the same case. The replay was a non-event, Cross wise to Garrycastle and clearly the better side.

Brigids were the only team that out-lasted Cross physically and the only one not to be clearly out-manoeuvred when it mattered. Maybe I put that across lazily the first time but the essential point remains.

The only team Brigids and Roscommon supporters give a damn about right now is Ballymun Kickams.

armaghniac

It's marvellous how a team that wins by a point can sneer at a team that only draws.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2013, 06:01:12 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 12, 2013, 05:47:31 PM

You missed the first line, didn't you?  :-*

Coming into an AI final thread your club or county isn't involved in and calling people there WUMs. That's a new one, Croi.

I surely didn't. In your rush to get a dig in you fail to recall James Dolan breaking up the field at the end and being hauled down. I sure BC1 can fill you in further as I remember him commentating on it after. If James had got through maybe Garrycastle would have more than just "hung on", which is what Brigids did in the semi final.

I can only assume that anyone who caomes out with the above or says Garrycastle are a mediocre team are on the wind up. And I'd say there's a few of your own county men who might agree with me too.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: armaghniac on March 12, 2013, 06:15:17 PM
It's marvellous how a team that wins by a point can sneer at a team that only draws.

True. In fairness Brigid's could have easily have lost the last day to Cross had Cross taken their goal chances. There can be a very fine line between winning and losing and sometimes a bit of luck on the day is all you need.