Louth v Galway

Started by GaillimhIarthair, March 29, 2007, 01:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Might as well get this started.  An update from the Galway camp below -

Diarmuid Blake is out of Galway's plans for Sunday's NFL Division 1A clash with Louth in Dowdallshill.

The centre back from Milltown was forced to retire with a hamstring injury during last Sunday's game against Westmeath, when Galway came from behind to win, and he wasn't able to train on Tuesday night.

"It's definitely not looking good for Diarmuid. If he's ruled out, he'll be a big loss," said Galway boss Peter Ford.

"However, we're not badly off in terms of cover as Declan Meehan came on as a sub last Sunday and Kieran Fitzgerald and Gary Sice are back in training."

GalwayBayBoy

Important to win this one as we've got Down at home for our last game which we should win all things being equal. The game against Louth will probably decide whether we qualify or not.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 29, 2007, 01:47:35 PM
Important to win this one as we've got Down at home for our last game which we should win all things being equal. The game against Louth will probably decide whether we qualify or not.
Its definitely a bonus to be in a position in which we can qualify when you consider the start we had to the current league campaign.  PJ's return has brought alot more direction to the forward play and its no coincidence that results have improved since.  Nothing beats good competitive matches and qualifying for the latter stages does bring that, however I hope it doesn't distract from the REAL business of May 20th.  Last season went rapidly downhill from the 2nd half of the league final to that calamitious performance v Westmeath and we could do without that again this year.  Sunday will be a good test and I do expect us to come away with at least a draw and hopefully the U-21's involved with the seniors will come throught their game with Mayo on Sat unscathed.

myball22

Would be very interested in how this goes, being from Galway obviously but I have a little wager on Louth to get to the Leinster Final e/w at 14/1 missing some big hitters on the other side of the draw.

Galwya to win, Louth to play well I hope  :)

GalwayBayBoy

Louth 0-11
Galway 1-12

Good win by Galway considering they played nearly the entire game with 14 men after Cullinane got sent off early doors. Savo rattled the crossbar late on. Would have been a bit more comfortable if that had gone in.

Duine Eile

Another great win, fourth on the bounce now, hopefully fifth this time next week all going well. Good team performance but not a great one. Mike Comer, Cormac Bane, Alan Burke, Joe Bergin weren't really at the races at all, though Joe came into it a bit towards the end. Full forward line of Meehan, Joyce, Joyce seems to be working fairly well though Nicky dropped a few shots into the keeper.Scored 1-9 betweeen them I think.Savage and Ja did well also.Cormac Bane, anonymous again today, can be brilliant on his day, pity he's not a bit more consistent. Barry Cullinane sent off, to be honest I've felt that was coming since the league started. He sails a bit too close to the wind at times and got his marching orders today. Down in Tuam next Sunday and bar a major slip up, we should be through to the semis or the second year running. Who'd have thought it!

GaillimhIarthair

Good to see the recent momentum didn't stop yesterday with another good away victory. We should be well able to take Down in Tuam (?) next week and thus setup a semi final v Donegal probably as I expect Tyrone to beat an experimental Mayo team next weekend.

galwayman

Good win for the lads yesterday. By all accounts we're still not playing that well even though we have been winining games.
Duine Eile, I wasn't at the game but was Bane really that bad? I was listening to it on GBFM and he kicked 3 points from play which isn't a bad days work.
Mike Meehan hasn't scored any points in his last 2 games so hopefully this is only a temporary blip and he'll back playing like we all know he can soon.

I hope Peter Ford brings Fitzy back into the starting team before the championship. He's a far superior corner back to Alan Burke. Midfield is a big worry to me. Bergin and Cullinane are the best we have but are very hot and cold and we do not have any options for this sector on the bench.
Paul Geraghty isn't county standard to me and he's the only substitute midfielder on the panel as far as I can see which is a worry.

Duine Eile

Did he score 3 points!Wasn't at the game either so was basing my opinion on the two cowboys on the radio and was doing about ten things at once so wasn't paying the best of attention!if he did fair play and I take back what I said.  :)Yeah Mike Meehan seems to be having a dip in form but he's bound to be a bit rusty. Hopefully it won't last too much longer.Cullinane and Geraghty-not a whole lot between them in terms of ability. Alan Burke got a bit of a roasting yesterday, plenty of lads waiting to take his place if he doesn't raise his game a bit, namely Blake and Fitzy. Down in Tuam next week. A win is being almost taken for granted at this stage which is a bit worrying.Hopefully the team are taking nothing for granted and go out with all guns blazing.

belleaqua

Hate being negative but a couple of problems spring to mind with this team at the moment.

We still haven't found a proper midfield. Lack of possession will ultimately cost us. we may have one of the top forward lines in the country but you wont do anything without the ball. Bergin is a great ball player but we have nobody to win the hard ball at the highest level. Mayo and JOM will have this all figured out by May.

Backline will settle into a solid unit when all positions are sorted out, great to see such competitiveness there, wouldnt worry about Mike Meehan too much, he will deliver when needed, these last two games will benefit him enormously.]

My biggest fear is messing up against Down next week. they have nothing to play for and we have everything. And knowing the way this group has gone nothing would surprise anyone at this stage.

All said and done, witjhout a ballwinning midfield we are wasting our time.

Duine Eile

Agreed Belleaqua, midfield is a worry, yet again. Kevin Walsh and to a lesser extent Sean O Domhnaill were never replaceed. As you said, if midfield are beaten the forwards wil be living off scraps.Bergin, while he's the best midfielder we have at the moment is fierce windy as my old lad would say and he's not that difficult to dispossess. But like you Belleaqua, there's an air of complacency surrounding the Down match, hope to God we don't slip up.