Pope resigns

Started by Shamrock Shore, February 11, 2013, 11:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 13, 2013, 12:28:48 PM
I hope whoever takes over does away with these food fascism days. Two choices on our canteen menu today - fish or fish. Supermacs will be busy, better head over early....
The fish pie is probably full of Sea horse!

Ulick

Quote from: heganboy on February 12, 2013, 03:16:14 PM
one decision that needs taken before they decide who the pope is going to be is a choice between becoming a broader church or a narrower one.
Broader, embrace social reality, improve role of women, appeal to younger population
Narrower smaller more fundamentalist and devout church.

when that decision is made then the suitable candidate for each role can be found. Given however that maybe 90% of the current voting cardinals (under age of 80) are JPII or Benedict appointees, its likely to be a narrower focus, which could lead to a Italian, Canadian or even an American Pope.
should the cardinals decide that more people on the planet are in their target audience then a Ghanian or Argentinian pontiff could happen. If I remember correctly (unlikely) 42% of catholics live in South America, only 25% in Europe, about 15% in Africa

Eh? In the Catholic faith, the Pope represents Christ on Earth, he does not there to represent the members of the Church. If said members don't like that aspect of the Catholic Church and faith, they are free to go elsewhere. Therefore it's not the Church that has to decide whether or not they will be "broader" or "narrower" but those who follow.

Ulick

Quote from: heganboy on February 12, 2013, 08:29:03 PM
the self same guy, wouldnt be the biggest fan of gay marriage either..

He's a Catholic Cardinal. If he was fan of gay marriage or believed in it he wouldn't be a Catholic Cardinal, he would be excommunicated.

Ulick

Quote from: muppet on February 12, 2013, 08:38:46 PM
The Church really needs a Gorbachev figure.

An atheist Marxist materialist?

johnneycool

Quote from: Ulick on February 13, 2013, 01:30:47 PM
Quote from: heganboy on February 12, 2013, 08:29:03 PM
the self same guy, wouldnt be the biggest fan of gay marriage either..

He's a Catholic Cardinal. If he was fan of gay marriage or believed in it he wouldn't be a Catholic Cardinal, he would be excommunicated.

So how many priests were excommunicated for having gay relationships with young boys, or is pedophilia not considered an excommunication-able offence in canon law? 

Ulick

Quote from: johnneycool on February 13, 2013, 08:44:12 AM
How far up the new pope's things to do should equality for women be?

Should they be allowed to join the priesthood?

Why do you equate equality with women being allowed to be Catholic priests? Catholics believe that a priest acts in the person and body of Christ. He wasn't a woman, hence hence it would be nonsensical to have a woman represent the body of Christ, his mother maybe not not Him. IMO this is similar to using equality arguments to insist men be allowed give birth to children. Catholics believe men and women are equal but different and complementary.

Ulick

Quote from: johnneycool on February 13, 2013, 01:39:43 PM
So how many priests were excommunicated for having gay relationships with young boys, or is pedophilia not considered an excommunication-able offence in canon law?

I've no idea how many were excommunicated, presumably all those who professed it was okay with the Catholic faith to do so. Those who repented, I'd guess weren't excommunicated.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ulick on February 13, 2013, 01:43:06 PM

Why do you equate equality with women being allowed to be Catholic priests? Catholics believe that a priest acts in the person and body of Christ. He wasn't a woman, hence hence it would be nonsensical to have a woman represent the body of Christ, his mother maybe not not Him. IMO this is similar to using equality arguments to insist men be allowed give birth to children. Catholics believe men and women are equal but different and complementary.

Were you one of the ones that left Mass one Sunday when the catholic church said that republican sympathisers were not welcome? There was a right few that left that day, are they allowed back now?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ulick

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2013, 01:47:00 PM
Were you one of the ones that left Mass one Sunday when the catholic church said that republican sympathisers were not welcome? There was a right few that left that day, are they allowed back now?

Not sure what you are talking about - the statement read from the pulpit after Enniskillen? Yes, I think I did, but I'm not sure of the relevance. That was a statement from a Catholic Bishop. A bishop on his own cannot set, define or amend matters of faith, only interpret it and administer his diocese. Any Catholic is free to disagree with a bishop if they believe he is misinterpreting the magisterium.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ulick on February 13, 2013, 01:52:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2013, 01:47:00 PM

Not sure what you are talking about - the statement read from the pulpit after Enniskillen? Yes, I think I did, but I'm not sure of the relevance. That was a statement from a Catholic Bishop. A bishop on his own cannot set, define or amend matters of faith, only interpret it and administer his diocese. Any Catholic is free to disagree with a bishop if they believe he is misinterpreting the magisterium.

Cardinal O'Fee was it not? It was read out at every church so I'd say it got the backing from higher office, my point is that you picked to give up going to church because of their stance which is fine but would backed the church for not being more modern and try and appeal to a wider public.

I can't remember that rule being changed and they lost a right few that day
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: Ulick on February 13, 2013, 01:43:06 PM

Come on! There's no similarity in the argument. Gender has nothing to do with being a good priest or being Christ's representative. Clearly it is central to the "giving birth" scenario you mention.

Ulick

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 13, 2013, 03:00:04 PM
Come on! There's no similarity in the argument. Gender has nothing to do with being a good priest or being Christ's representative. Clearly it is central to the "giving birth" scenario you mention.

The idea of the priest acting in the person and body of Christ is central to Catholic theology. If Catholics today don't know the central tenets of their own faith well they hardly have the right to demand that they're changed to suit them. They'd be better off heading for the exit and joining something else more suitable. 

The Iceman

Quote from: Ulick on February 13, 2013, 03:37:13 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 13, 2013, 03:00:04 PM

The idea of the priest acting in the person and body of Christ is central to Catholic theology. If Catholics today don't know the central tenets of their own faith well they hardly have the right to demand that they're changed to suit them. They'd be better off heading for the exit and joining something else more suitable.

This is what heganboy and I both referred to. I believe the Church has to become narrower with a strong group of devout followers who believe and agree with the teachings. No more pick and mix, no more talk of catering to the majority or popular opinion - just a church of believers in every sense of the word. From there it can grow and broaden.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

theskull1

Quote from: The Iceman on February 13, 2013, 04:00:38 PM
This is what heganboy and I both referred to. I believe the Church has to become narrower with a strong group of devout followers who believe and agree with the teachings. No more pick and mix, no more talk of catering to the majority or popular opinion - just a church of believers in every sense of the word. From there it can grow and broaden.

Blessed are those who have seen what the leadership of the RC church are like and yet "still" believe in it
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The Iceman

I think Skull that might be your misunderstanding or misjudgement in all of this.
I don't have to believe in the "people", I have to believe that God by His Holy Spirit will prevail. The problems of the Church have been human problems. And if you don't believe that you don't have to. But that's what I believe. When the church is reconciled, it won't be through the works of people, but God.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight