Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Started by Saffrongael, February 05, 2013, 07:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Yes
No
Don't care

Puckoon

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 06, 2013, 08:47:20 AM
  Marriage is not the avenue to pursue unfortunately, and irrelevant of their sexual orientation all people have been brought up to understand marriage as being between a man and a woman, and that is who the marriage ceremony has been created to cater for.

Incorrect. You do not speak for all people, irrespective of their sexual orientation.

tommysmith

Quote from: J70 on February 06, 2013, 01:00:37 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 06, 2013, 11:46:52 AM
A debate that would be more relevent to me personally would be ''should gays be allowed to marry in a church or chapel?''

Standing beside each other in a town hall or whatever telling each other that they love each other and signing a piece of paper to me is not really a marriage so tear away.

I didn't get married in a church. Is my marriage not "real"?

Did you marry a man or a woman?

tyssam5

A debate that would be more relevent to me personally would be ''should gays be allowed to marry in a church or chapel?''

Standing beside each other in a town hall or whatever telling each other that they love each other and signing a piece of paper to me is not really a marriage so tear away.

What if it was a gay priest officiating at the altar? No shortage of them around!

tommysmith

Quote from: tyssam5 on February 06, 2013, 05:46:06 PM

What if it was a gay priest officiating at the altar? No shortage of them around!

Would you know many?

Bingo

Speaking of church weddings and that, the womans sister got married, church wedding and all that. Anyways about 3 months later they got a call from the priest to say that there was a problem and could he call to them.

Turned out he wasn't authorised to carry out the wedding for some bizarre reason and they weren't legally married. Was a bit dramatic for her in particular and she felt very let down. Preist wasn't too arsed about it though and told them they had to get it sorted, no offer of assistance.

She had to book a wedding in the civil offices with herself, husband and best man and bridesmaid to get formally married again.

tommysmith

Quote from: Bingo on February 06, 2013, 05:58:00 PM
Speaking of church weddings and that, the womans sister got married, church wedding and all that. Anyways about 3 months later they got a call from the priest to say that there was a problem and could he call to them.

Turned out he wasn't authorised to carry out the wedding for some bizarre reason and they weren't legally married. Was a bit dramatic for her in particular and she felt very let down. Preist wasn't too arsed about it though and told them they had to get it sorted, no offer of assistance.

She had to book a wedding in the civil offices with herself, husband and best man and bridesmaid to get formally married again.

I missed that episode of father ted.

cadence

Quote from: tommysmith on February 06, 2013, 05:48:14 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on February 06, 2013, 05:46:06 PM

Would you know many?

interesting piece of research here in relation to some of the terrible experiences of faith and in the wider community that lgbt people have in northern ireland. reference xxvvii page 65 for example would go some way to answering your question regarding the potential numbers of gay priests there are out there...

http://www.irishpeacecentres.org/files/LGBTPublication7BOOKLET.pdf

J70

Quote from: tommysmith on February 06, 2013, 05:35:13 PM

A woman.

Why?

heganboy

this may sound a wee bit counter intuitive, but can any one who is in the no camp give me a reason why people of the same sex should not marry each other, and also explain how it materially effects them whether they do or not?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

tommysmith

Quote from: J70 on February 06, 2013, 06:31:59 PM

A woman.

Why?

Just wondering if you were a gay.

cadence

muppet

Quote from: tommysmith on February 06, 2013, 06:43:18 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 06, 2013, 06:31:59 PM

A woman.

Why?

Just wondering if you were a gay.

I'd try another site if I were you.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: BennyCake on February 06, 2013, 11:58:59 AM
Quote from: J70 on February 06, 2013, 11:32:15 AM
A close family friend (who actually did a wonderful job officiating myself and my wife's wedding) recently married his boyfriend here in the US. Perhaps one of you geniuses could explain to me why he shouldn't be entitled to marry the love of HIS life, just like I and most of you have?

WHERE is the harm in it?

Some people need to open their eyes to their bigotry.

Just because people think gays shouldn't be allowed to "marry", that is not being a bigot. Nor is it being anti-gay or homophobic. But that's what people think as soon as you say you disagree with gay "marriage".

If you said black people shouldn't be allowed to "marry", would that be bigoted, anti-black or racist?

J70

Quote from: EC Unique on February 06, 2013, 12:01:27 PM
Quote from: Jonah on February 06, 2013, 11:50:19 AM

So I assume you voted Yes in the above poll then?

I have not voted.

I would have a fear that once the right to legally marry has been sorted the next step would be, for some gay couples, to force their way to marrage at the alter. That would be a massive NO for me.

Given the privileged position of churches, I doubt that will ever happen. And how could it, legally?

Puckoon

Quote from: heganboy on February 06, 2013, 06:41:35 PM
this may sound a wee bit counter intuitive, but can any one who is in the no camp give me a reason why people of the same sex should not marry each other, and also explain how it materially effects them whether they do or not?

Because the bible, which the revere and adhere to verbatim forbids it.

Because nature, which they work tirelessly to protect is against it

Because the church, which they respect on all issues does not approve of it.