Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Started by Saffrongael, February 05, 2013, 07:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Yes
No
Don't care

Eamonnca1

ONeill

As long as they don't play YMCA going up the aisle. Hate that feckin song.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 06, 2013, 12:42:40 AM
My gut feeling is that your head's cut.

A link from Ireland would have been more specific. Anyways im not going to carry on , they can marry but just dont think, its best for a male and female to bring up a child. Just my opinion. thats the end of it.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2013, 12:47:19 AM

How about if they played it's raining men or dancing queen?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 06, 2013, 12:51:20 AM

A link from Ireland would have been more specific. Anyways im not going to carry on , they can marry but just dont think, its best for a male and female to bring up a child. Just my opinion. thats the end of it.
Well you're the one making the claim that gay parents are bad for a child's upbringing.  That's a bit of a bold statement so I was hoping you could provide evidence to back your claim up instead of asking for evidence to the contrary. But no matter.

cadence

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 06, 2013, 12:28:14 AM
Quote from: cadence on February 06, 2013, 12:22:05 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 06, 2013, 12:01:18 AM
Quote from: cadence on February 05, 2013, 11:48:53 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 05, 2013, 11:10:38 PM
Would there not be a fair chance a child brought up by a gay couple, would eventually turn gay in the future too. They might be good parents for the kid, but that sort of enviroment would hardly be great for their own sexuality in future years.

care to explain why being brought up by a gay couple wouldn't be great for a child's sexuality? do enlighten us.

Huh? It's fairly self explanatory. Two kids being brought up by the same sex, could eventually turn gay. Its just my opinion amigo

Enlighten us with some stats.

we'll get to the stats bit later.

so, are you saying that eventually turning gay, as you described it, would hardly be great? i'm just trying to figure out you're position here on being gay y'know. in your opinion, is it bad to be gay?

Well i know if i was a kid being brought same sex up I wouldn't like it. I have no idea if it will make them gay or not. Its not bad to be gay people can be what they want.

they can be what they want as long as it's not your parent right.

anyway.....

you probably wouldn't like the discrimination you'd experience as a family and the consequences it has, but on balance, you wouldn't want to have straight parents instead. you'd love your gay parents, and you might even think that you were closer to your gay parents than your friends were to their straight parents. read the stonewall study linked in this stonewall page...

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/what_we_do/research_and_policy/health_and_healthcare/3471.asp

ONeill

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 06, 2013, 12:52:26 AM
Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2013, 12:47:19 AM

How about if they played it's raining men or dancing queen?

They're fair game.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rodney trotter

Quote from: cadence on February 06, 2013, 01:00:58 AM
Would there not be a fair chance a child brought up by a gay couple, would eventually turn gay in the future too. They might be good parents for the kid, but that sort of enviroment would hardly be great for their own sexuality in future years.

care to explain why being brought up by a gay couple wouldn't be great for a child's sexuality? do enlighten us.

Huh? It's fairly self explanatory. Two kids being brought up by the same sex, could eventually turn gay. Its just my opinion amigo

so, are you saying that eventually turning gay, as you described it, would hardly be great? i'm just trying to figure out you're position here on being gay y'know. in your opinion, is it bad to be gay?

Well i know if i was a kid being brought same sex up I wouldn't like it. I have no idea if it will make them gay or not. Its not bad to be gay people can be what they want.

anyway.....

you probably wouldn't like the discrimination you'd experience as a family and the consequences it has, but on balance, you wouldn't want to have straight parents instead. you'd love your gay parents, and you might even think that you were closer to your gay parents than your friends were to their straight parents. read the stonewall study linked in this stonewall page...

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/what_we_do/research_and_policy/health_and_healthcare/3471.asp

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 06, 2013, 12:56:07 AM

Well you're the one making the claim that gay parents are bad for a child's upbringing.  That's a bit of a bold statement so I was hoping you could provide evidence to back your claim up instead of asking for evidence to the contrary. But no matter.

What i meant to say above i think it should be only male and female raising a kid. I was just giving my opinion how it might be for a kid being raised by same couple.

I have no evidence just my opinion, you're own evidence is slack to say the least, a couple in america we are Ireland. Anyway thats the end of it.

cadence

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 06, 2013, 01:05:03 AM
Quote from: cadence on February 06, 2013, 01:00:58 AM

anyway.....

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 06, 2013, 12:56:07 AM

What i meant to say above i think it should be only male and female raising a kid. I was just giving my opinion how it might be for a kid being raised by same couple.

I have no evidence just my opinion, you're own evidence is slack to say the least, a couple in america we are Ireland. Anyway thats the end of it.

2 lesbians and 2 gay men, that's the spirit, live and let live.

stephenite

Quote from: Pangurban on February 05, 2013, 08:21:59 PM
Have no problem with Gays, but do not think society should turn natural law,logic and reason on its head to accommodate a misguided notion of rights

Care to define natural law in this context?

Eamonnca1

I'd love to know what's so "misguided" about the notion of two consenting adults being allowed to marry without being discriminated against on the grounds of their sexual orientation.

Asal Mor

Yes, of course they should. Should the hillbillies who voted no on this poll be allowed to have children? I'd vote no on that one.

Rois

A gay couple I know, one half of which is from the street next to mine and played Gaelic (a tiny bit) when he was younger (just putting his background in context) has adopted a little boy. I can honestly say I believe this little guy will be loved as much as any other child and will have a life much better than the one he came from.

The Blegard

Quote from: thewobbler on February 05, 2013, 09:41:00 PM
I've no issues with two fellas legally declaring a bind.

I'd have a fairly large concern though over gay couples adopting children. It could be considered narrowminded, but it does push rather sternly against everything in nature for two men to have a child. Which isn't right.
lesbians should not be allowed to raise daughters. Imagine a poor lad end up marrying the daughter and having 2 mothers in law... Inhumane
Ceol,Dole agus Ol

Lecale2

The British House of Commons has back gay marriage.

From BBC

The bill was supported by SDLP's Mark Durkan (Foyle) and Alliance MP Naomi Long (Belfast East).

The bill was opposed by DUP MPs Gregory Campbell (Londonderry East), Nigel Dodds (Belfast North), Jeffrey Donaldson (Lagan Valley), Rev William McCrea (Antrim South), Ian Paisley Junior (Antrim North), Jim Shannon (Strangford), David Simpson (Upper Bann), Sammy Wilson (Antrim East) and independent MP Lady Sylvia Hermon (North Down).

The SDLP's Margaret Ritchie (South Down) and Alasdair McDonnell (Belfast South) did not vote.

As Sinn Fein MPs do not take their seats in Westminster they were not able to vote.