Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Started by Saffrongael, February 05, 2013, 07:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Yes
No
Don't care

seafoid

Quote from: Pangurban on February 05, 2013, 09:28:21 PM
We now live in an anything goes society Orior, in which any morality standing in the way of profit or the secular liberal philosophy will be brushed aside. Sodom and Gomorrah were in the half-penny place compared to us
In fairness the Magdalene women and the kids raped by the upstanding guardians of the Church paid a very heavy price for the illusion that Ireland was a decent god fearing catholic society.

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on February 05, 2013, 09:59:28 PM
Is there any church of any denomination willing to marry gays?
I believe the Quaker Church is in favour of gay marriage

Tony Baloney

Quote from: stew on February 05, 2013, 10:01:06 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on February 05, 2013, 09:45:56 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 05, 2013, 09:39:19 PM
QuoteIn 100 years time, people will look back and wonder why so many people were against it and why it was even illegal in the first place.

That's the whole point. In 100 years when you can get "married" to any random collection of people for a weekend, any value in marriage as the building block of society will have been lost.

What about all the couples who don't stay married for life and get divorced............Marriage was around before the church, if two people of the same sex love each other and want to make a commitment in front of God, where is the problem, i think Jesus mentioned something about where love lives, you will find me.......(could be wrong).....

Homosexuality was said to "be an abomination in the sight of God" in the Bible, hardly a ringing endorsement for two boys or girls to be getting married in a Church service.

If they want to get married what is wrong with doing it in front of a judge?
This is the bit I don't get. How can any Church under the Christian banner countenance gay marriage when it states clearly in the Bible that it is sinful. The argument that the Church must move with the times is balls imo.

T Fearon

Being on the evangelical born again wing of Protestantism,I would be truly astounded if the Baptists/Quakers hosted a gay marriage ceremony.Opposition to all things gay unites both Catholics and protestants,the current debate about gay ministers is tearing the Anglican Church apart.I can see no gay marriages in any half mainstream Christian Church, bar peculiar sects like Pat Buckley's.

Tubberman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 05, 2013, 10:29:32 PM
Quote from: stew on February 05, 2013, 10:01:06 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on February 05, 2013, 09:45:56 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 05, 2013, 09:39:19 PM
QuoteIn 100 years time, people will look back and wonder why so many people were against it and why it was even illegal in the first place.

That's the whole point. In 100 years when you can get "married" to any random collection of people for a weekend, any value in marriage as the building block of society will have been lost.

What about all the couples who don't stay married for life and get divorced............Marriage was around before the church, if two people of the same sex love each other and want to make a commitment in front of God, where is the problem, i think Jesus mentioned something about where love lives, you will find me.......(could be wrong).....

Homosexuality was said to "be an abomination in the sight of God" in the Bible, hardly a ringing endorsement for two boys or girls to be getting married in a Church service.

If they want to get married what is wrong with doing it in front of a judge?
This is the bit I don't get. How can any Church under the Christian banner countenance gay marriage when it states clearly in the Bible that it is sinful. The argument that the Church must move with the times is balls imo.

g

Agree. It should be left back in less enlightened times where it belongs.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!

Mayo4Sam

Exactly hardstation, live and let live. Do these lads think if it was their brother/sister/son/daughter, would they not want them to be happy?
Can't see why people are so against letting other people get on with things and doing what they want
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

I would question two sides of it...

Why would a church allow gay marriages when it views homosexuality as an abomination?

Why would a gay person want to be married in a church which deems it as an abomination?

EC Unique

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 05, 2013, 10:05:18 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 05, 2013, 09:42:58 PM
I would value marriage highly. That is as long as it is a proper marriage carried out in a chapel or church and not one of these town hall jobs.
I hope there does not come a day when gay marriages are common place at the alter.

I'm not getting married in a chapel or church - is mine a "proper marriage"?

Legally it will be but religiously no. It is up to the individual what matters to them.

On the day I got married things that mattered were the readings, the gospel, communion, blessing of the rings etc. Signing a piece of paper from the local council meant nothing emotionally to me.

Each to there own and good luck with it.

Tubberman

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 05, 2013, 10:49:38 PM
I would question two sides of it...

Why would a church allow gay marriages when it views homosexuality as an abomination?

Why would a gay person want to be married in a church which deems it as an abomination?

Marriage doesn't have to be in a church
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on February 05, 2013, 10:31:28 PM
Being on the evangelical born again wing of Protestantism,I would be truly astounded if the Baptists/Quakers hosted a gay marriage ceremony.Opposition to all things gay unites both Catholics and protestants,the current debate about gay ministers is tearing the Anglican Church apart.I can see no gay marriages in any half mainstream Christian Church, bar peculiar sects like Pat Buckley's.
The Quaker Church have been seeking a change in the law for of years now and are in favour of gay marriage - See the article in The Independent today.  For your information, the Quakers have always been a fairly liberal lot.

Itchy

Quote from: EC Unique on February 05, 2013, 10:50:43 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 05, 2013, 10:05:18 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 05, 2013, 09:42:58 PM
I would value marriage highly. That is as long as it is a proper marriage carried out in a chapel or church and not one of these town hall jobs.
I hope there does not come a day when gay marriages are common place at the alter.

I'm not getting married in a chapel or church - is mine a "proper marriage"?

Legally it will be but religiously no. It is up to the individual what matters to them.

On the day I got married things that mattered were the readings, the gospel, communion, blessing of the rings etc. Signing a piece of paper from the local council meant nothing emotionally to me.

Each to there own and good luck with it.

I was the opposite, everything in the church meant nothing to me but I was looking forward to the craic in the hotel.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: michaelg on February 05, 2013, 10:57:11 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 05, 2013, 10:31:28 PM
The Quaker Church have been seeking a change in the law for of years now and are in favour of gay marriage - See the article in The Independent today.  For your information, the Quakers have always been a fairly liberal lot.

I think I heard they were open to the concept of homosexual marriage.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

T Fearon

Michaelg,google baptist church re homosexuality and you'll see the church opposes this.As in every church there are small pockets of liberals seeking to change this,but they've as much chance as a snowball in hell.

rodney trotter

Would there not be a fair chance a child brought up by a gay couple, would eventually turn gay in the future too. They might be good parents for the kid, but that sort of enviroment would hardly be great for their own sexuality in future years.