Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Started by Saffrongael, February 05, 2013, 07:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Yes
No
Don't care

theskull1

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 07, 2013, 06:20:56 PM
I've seen the offspring of gay parents and didn't see anything terribly out of place.  No there's not a lot of them around, that's just a statistical fact. But they exist. And so far, based on what I've seen, I'd be more concerned about the shell-suited urban teenagers in dole-ville having children than a committed gay couple who work for a living.

So as much as you don't have the same concerns, you don't really know yourself due to lack of data. Why didn't you post this reply yesterday instead of your strawman attack of what was only a personal concern and nothing else?  :-\

If you want to start a thread about why we should neuter neds then work away. I'm with you on that one but you and I know its gonna take a fairly ugly shift in society to hand down those sentences.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

gallsman

What are the "concerns" someone might have over someone brought up by same-sex parents. That they might also be gay? Why is this anybody else's "concern" in the slightest?

Jack and John down the road adopt a baby. EC, tommysmith, nrico and the skull have never met and will never meet any of Jack, John or the child. What concern is it of yours if the child is gay, straight, bi etc.??

johnneycool

Are there not gay ned's and scumbags as well or are they entirely heterosexual?

Would they be neutered as well whilst we're at it?

Cold tea

Ah the gay debates and the political correctness that goes with them - live and let live etc etc and fair play but call a spade a spade it is the most unnatural act, and it seems now to be the trendy thing to be, sure if we were all gay the human population would cease - unless that is you were a fat bald rock star who could buy a few kids!

Hound

Quote from: Cold tea on February 08, 2013, 08:35:58 AM
Ah the gay debates and the political correctness that goes with them - live and let live etc etc and fair play but call a spade a spade it is the most unnatural act, and it seems now to be the trendy thing to be, sure if we were all gay the human population would cease - unless that is you were a fat bald rock star who could buy a few kids!
You honestly believe a significant propotion of gays are only gay because its trendy???

Main Street

Quote from: deiseach on February 07, 2013, 01:13:10 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 07, 2013, 12:53:02 PM
I do not see any move in France now to force Churches to change their canon laws policy.
I certainly do not see any precedent for a legal challenge to blatant anti female dogma as is practiced by the catholic Church. I do not even see a whisper of a campaign. It would be absurd,  and that's all in despite of a raft of  anti female discrimination legislation. In the main, a Church's canon law is sacrosanct, the common law does not apply effect on canon law.

I know I shouldn't go back to this, but if you're going to blatantly misrepresent what I'm saying . . . I never said the state can force churches to change their rules. They can't force the Catholic Church to have women priests any more than they can force Giovanni Trapattoni to field women soccer players. What they can do is require organisations providing state-regulated services to not discriminate in the provision of those services. And it doesn't matter if they include opt-outs to the requirements. It is my belief that in the future someone will take a case against a church saying that if they provide state-backed marriage to heterosexual couples then they have to provide it to homosexual couples. Based on precedent, I can't see any other outcome than a win for the plaintiff in that situation.

The catholic church is not providing a state regulated service with the church marriage, they are providing a marriage ceremony for their church members, which the state recognises as a legal marriage. The state provides its own marriage service which is subject to state regulations.
The state does not regulate the catholic church marriage ceremony.

What precedent are you talking about where a state required a church teachings and practices to follow sex equality regulations?
You have only presented  your belief that this bizzarre scenario could happen and calling it a fact, this is true David Icke territory :)

J70

If serious, that's about the dumbest comment yet, and that's saying something!!

The "trendy" assertion aside (I guess some less intelligent people could mistake the growing acceptance of homosexuality in society encouraging otherwise reluctant and fearful people to come out of the closet for a fashion trend!), your other "points" have been refuted thoroughly on this thread already.

seafoid

Quote from: gallsman on February 08, 2013, 08:16:18 AM
What are the "concerns" someone might have over someone brought up by same-sex parents. That they might also be gay? Why is this anybody else's "concern" in the slightest?

Jack and John down the road adopt a baby. EC, tommysmith, nrico and the skull have never met and will never meet any of Jack, John or the child. What concern is it of yours if the child is gay, straight, bi etc.??
I think they are concerned about a pyramid scheme. The kids would all be gay. They would get married and produce more gay children and next thing you know there is only one town in Ireland that is straight. And that would be the end of the world. 

Cold tea

Quote from: J70 on February 08, 2013, 01:42:26 PM

The "trendy" assertion aside (I guess some less intelligent people could mistake the growing acceptance of homosexuality in society encouraging otherwise reluctant and fearful people to come out of the closet for a fashion trend!), your other "points" have been refuted thoroughly on this thread already.

I couldn't be arsed reading 18 pages of shite.  How can a man wanting to put his c**k up another man's ass be natural, catch a grip ffs, and then you hear there are takers and receivers, some only take it and some only give it - yeah that's a natural act ok.  ::)

Bingo

Quote from: Cold tea on February 08, 2013, 03:54:07 PM
I couldn't be arsed reading 18 pages of shite.  How can a man wanting to put his c**k up another man's ass be natural, catch a grip ffs, and then you hear there are takers and receivers, some only take it and some only give it - yeah that's a natural act ok.  ::)

No harm but i just burst out laughing in the office that and the tae went everywhere. Post of the year. The first line sits very well with the rest of it! Call be immature and send me home Shirley  ;D

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Cold tea on February 08, 2013, 03:54:07 PMsome only take it and some only give it - yeah that's a natural act ok.  ::)

It works fine for men and women, doesn't it?  ::)

laoislad

Quote from: EC Unique on February 07, 2013, 11:49:29 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 07, 2013, 03:54:29 PM
QuoteI would imagine most gay people move away from religion once they personally accept they are gay. Why would they want to be involved with an organisation that sees their way of life as wrong?

My fear would be that the gay people,that are at the front of the gay rights movement, would push and push until theycan marry in a church just to proclaim that they are equal in every way.

Your imagination is a battle of 2 brain cells looking hard for one another but being like ships in the night. 

That made me laugh out loud
Well done Puck  ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

EC Unique

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 08, 2013, 04:12:04 PM

Class, funny as fook!

I remember one man saying that you are only gay if you are the reviever!  :D

deiseach

"Lesbians. I don't care what they do in the privacy of their own home as long as they do it in front of me." - Bobby Chariot.

J70

All right, so you're not being serious!