7 All Ireland Contenders ?

Started by catchandkick, February 03, 2013, 11:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catchandkick

Let's have a heated debate. ;D

All teams in Division One bar Down are All Ireland contenders?

I do not think Mayo ( not enough marquee forwards) Cork ( set up gone stale, no competition for places) or Kildare ( missing a certain something) will win the All Ireland but can't rule them completely out either.

So in my head it's

Kerry, Donegal, Dublin and Tyrone as Top Grade Contenders

And Mayo, Cork and Kildare as Possible Winners But Would Be Surprised

Monaghan, Armagh and Laois likeliest to cause upset by upsetting one of the above.

BallyhaiseMan

Donegal,Cork,Kerry,Dublin,Mayo,Kildare in no particular order.
I don't see anyone else having a shot tbh.

stew

Tyrone a chance to win Sam the year............................ Really, they have a marginally better chance than we do fer frigs sake, they are a team on the wane and wont make it past the quarters.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

Donegal, Mayo, Dublin, Cork in that order and with the later two pretty much interchangeable right now.

Kerry are not AI contenders this year and the only way any of the teams above lose to them in knock-out football is by fooling themselves into believing they are serious contenders. If this team didn't have 'Chiarraí' stitched onto the backs of their jerseys people would be very, very alarmed by their age profile, the lack of young players standing up and their form over the past twelve months but because 'it's Kerry' we assume they have a magical formula.

They don't but they will be back, just not this year. They are transitioning away from the second greatest group of players to ever wear their colours and that was always going to be a process that meant you had to skip a beat.

Kildare have a better chance than Kerry of winning the AI this year and would be my dark horses to go on a run. Tyrone, if they knock off Donegal on the first day, can play themselves into contention but they aren't there yet and I suspect they won't be even if they're still in it in August. Mickey has the tools to build another contender in the years to come, though.

Hardy

Quote from: catchandkick on February 03, 2013, 11:48:54 PM

I do not think Mayo ( not enough marquee forwards) Cork ( set up gone stale, no competition for places) or Kildare ( missing a certain something) will win the All Ireland but can't rule them completely out either.

So in my head it's

Monaghan, Armagh and Laois likeliest to cause upset by upsetting one of the above.

Down are always All-Ireland contenders. Every time they've won it, they've come from nowhere.

PAULD123

So in my head it's

Come on - Behave. Monaghan, Armagh and Laois??? but you make no mention of Galway or Down. In fact what is your bias? Why are Down the only first division team you don't mention? And as for Cork being a "Possible" contender but Tyrone being "Top Grade"? It makes me wonder if you have either not watched any football for the last three years or instead you chose to make outlandish statements just to provoke the debate.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on February 04, 2013, 12:24:59 AM
Donegal, Mayo, Dublin, Cork in that order and with the later two pretty much interchangeable right now.

Kerry are not AI contenders this year and the only way any of the teams above lose to them in knock-out football is by fooling themselves into believing they are serious contenders. If this team didn't have 'Chiarraí' stitched onto the backs of their jerseys people would be very, very alarmed by their age profile, the lack of young players standing up and their form over the past twelve months but because 'it's Kerry' we assume they have a magical formula.

They don't but they will be back, just not this year. They are transitioning away from the second greatest group of players to ever wear their colours and that was always going to be a process that meant you had to skip a beat.

Kildare have a better chance than Kerry of winning the AI this year and would be my dark horses to go on a run. Tyrone, if they knock off Donegal on the first day, can play themselves into contention but they aren't there yet and I suspect they won't be even if they're still in it in August. Mickey has the tools to build another contender in the years to come, though.

I don't see why Donegal would be ahead of the others to be honest

cadence

Quote from: INDIANA on February 04, 2013, 07:39:14 AM

me neither. it's a new year and all to play for. i like the look of kildare this year too, but it's early days.

screenexile

Quote from: INDIANA on February 04, 2013, 07:39:14 AM

Current All Ireland Champions? Won it last year without really getting out of 3rd gear?

That's probably the reason why.

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Hound

Mayo at 10/1 to win the All Ireland is definitely the best value out there. You can't tell a whole heap at this time of year, but there's nothing to suggest they're not every bit as good as Donegal, Kerry, Dublin and Cork (who are all 4/1 or shorter).

EC Unique

All a guessing match. 2 years ago nobody would have given Donegal a chance but look now. For me it is Dublin, Donegal, Cork ahead of Kerry and Tyrone but a lot can change in 6 months.

heffo

Quote from: Hound on February 04, 2013, 09:52:44 AM
there's nothing to suggest they're not every bit as good as Donegal, Kerry, Dublin and Cork (who are all 4/1 or shorter).

Aside from the absence of an AI medal

yellowcard

Dublin would be my favourites followed by Donegal, Cork, Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone and Kildare in that order. These are the only teams with a chance of winning an All Ireland. Basically anyone in division one except Down. Really fancy the Dubs to win it though, they have some very good young players coming through to freshen things up.

Aristo 60

Quote from: Hardy on February 04, 2013, 12:35:27 AM

So in my head it's

Down are always All-Ireland contenders. Every time they've won it, they've come from nowhere.

+1