Mayo V Tyrone National Football League Round 2 Sun 10th February

Started by never kickt a ball, February 03, 2013, 01:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: TY14ED on February 10, 2013, 11:02:18 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 10, 2013, 09:00:05 PM
We have "Fergie Time" in soccer,have we now got "Mickey Time" in GAA whereby referees will play whatever injury time is required for Tyrone to win the game?

Very good T Fearon- like the gag. But let's keep a hold on reality here & not let this remark gather momentum. Penalty awarded with 15 seconds of inj time left. The big question is why did Horans men get a further few minutes & the chance to equalise?

Referee's prerogative and sees it as part of his job.

EC Unique

I really can't get my head around all the confidence that some Mayo lads are showing. Have I missed something?

TY14ED

Quote from: EC Unique on February 10, 2013, 11:16:49 PM
I really can't get my head around all the confidence that some Mayo lads are showing. Have I missed something?

In fairness no team will get anything easy from Mayo this year. They have a good spread of quality players. Much tougher than Mayo of old.

tyssam5

Quote from: moysider on February 10, 2013, 06:11:14 PM
Quote from: Chimley on February 10, 2013, 05:50:59 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on February 10, 2013, 05:33:25 PM
I can't say if it was or wasn't from that camera angle but to say it definitely wasn't is just showing yer bias. Donnelly has already 4 goals this year and from that close there is no way he 'dived'. Did Higgins pull back his kicking leg? I really don't know and couldn't follow the commentary.

It's been your own countymen that have been saying it wasn't a penalty to be fair. No Mayo poster has complained. I'd rather be on the end of a controversial decision in February than later in the year though so no complaints from me.

Same as that. Even if we came away with the win - at it was utter carelessness at the end that we didn t - that performance was poor in many respects. Still the Ballyshannon disaster was a turning point for the better last year.

This league could now develop into a dogfight for points for us. It ll be interesting to see if we can deal any better with similar defensive set-ups v Down and Donegal.

You didn't happen to watch Mayo vs Down in AIQF last year? Was this were you observed the much vaunted Down defense?

nrico2006

Tyrone have started the league well, and have a few players yet to come into the equation that will obviously give more top quality options.

The penalty was rightly given, there was a clear push in the back.  Was good to see SON put it away, reminded me of all those penalties he put away in 2005, cool as a cucumber.  In a way Aidan O'Se was the architect of Tyrones win, had he not stuck his knees into O'Neill and fired the old man up, he wouldn't have been subsequently roasted down the wing by SON in the process of putting the ball in that led to the penalty. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

criostlinn

Yes it seems you have all right

Fuzzman

Quote from: Mayo Mick on February 10, 2013, 08:36:52 PM
Feel we were over confident and under estimated the Tyrone challenge. Never played with the pace and intensity we are capable of until last few minutes and we showed then what we should have been doing all day. Fair play to a gamey Tyrone outfit who took advanatge of our slopiness. Feel though if we meet in August we would have way too much for them.

This really made me laugh as two conflicting statements. I think coming into this game some of the Tyronies (Not myself though) felt Tyrone could sneak this with their new young team and some hard work. I think Mayo are typical of a team who got to yet another AI final and then fall into the trap that they are automatically at that level then for a while and can coast. Whereas in the league in a new year teams are training like mad and are up to a higher level of intensity than those that got the the final or semis.
I think with the Dubs having a new manager and a freshness about them that they are too pushing hard early on to get to a high level early.
Kerry are really struggling with the high intensity early on and with away games to Donegal & Tyrone could struggle to stay up.

I've watched that penalty incident several times now and there's a good picture of it today in the Irish News but I still can't see a clear push from Higgins. However, the way Donnelly falls away to the right it looks like force was applied to him from Higgins so I can see why some see it as a soft penalty.

I think Stevie was a lot more up for the game today and ready to get down and dirty when he needed to. I didn't see O'Shea knee him but I saw quite a few times Stevie got away with fouls on others. Also laughed how Penrose was being held by O'Shea before the peno and then he breaks free and is nearly alongside Stevie as he kicks it. Was interesting to see young McCurry having the confidence to take the ball of his captain Stevie and kick it over the bar.

That was a great point by McNamee out on the left wing. Young McKenna seems to be settling in well too at half back.

On a totally different note, are we always gonna wear white shorts now all the time?
I really preferred the red shorts along with the white jerseys.
We're coming along nicely and should at least stay up now if not push for the league semis but I am certainly not getting carried away. Ulster is always a minefield and even IF we beat Donegal there are still tough games ahead.

Here's the match report from the Irish Times
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2013/0211/1224329907484.html

criostlinn

Quote from: rrhf on February 10, 2013, 06:29:48 PM
Stonewall penalty. Great long ball in by o Neill. After o se kneed him he fairly put him on his arse which was lovely to see.  Congrats to team and management on the 2 wins. Didn't expect that, and feel that while we have some average enough players in there, they're working hard at it. Well done

Stonewall penalty you reckon. Sure poor auld Mr Deegan wasnt sure so he decided to ask the umpire after he made the decision. He even added a couple of minutes extra for Mayo to equalise because he knew he had messed up. Anyway he gave us a few handy ones before this so really no excuse. Its just a shame that Maurice Deegan seems to think that we all pay into these games to watch him.

Just to clarify, when you say O Shea kneed O Neill, is this the incident that O Neill was tackled by Barry Moran, he dived, lied on the ball and Deegan decided he deserved a hop ball for this. Not happy with his lot thou O Neill continued to lie on the ball when O Shea tried to take it off him and in a fit of petulance as he was getting up he grabbed O Shea by the leg knocking them both to the ground. For you to say O Shea kneed O Neill is a complete lie. I know this sounds nothing like the incident you describe but I presume this is another version of the Tyrone blinkered glasses you were watching the game with and it shows your call on the stonewall penalty as nothing but nonsense

Anyway lads get back to arguing with Mayo Mick

Nally Stand

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 11, 2013, 10:41:05 AM
On a totally different note, are we always gonna wear white shorts now all the time?
Prefer the red shorts too, but apparently we're to be in all-white for two years. Hopefully no longer than that.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Fuzzman

Any idea why?
Is it something to do with Hunky Dory's?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 11, 2013, 11:45:39 AM
Any idea why?
Is it something to do with Hunky Dory's?

No idea, just remember reading somewhere that it was a two year thing  :-\
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 11, 2013, 11:33:45 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on February 11, 2013, 10:41:05 AM
Prefer the red shorts too, but apparently we're to be in all-white for two years. Hopefully no longer than that.

It's similar to when Sligo changed to all black to copy the New Zealand rugby team in a hope to aspire to reach a higher playing standard. Tyrone are trying to aspire to come up to the level of Kildare or even the all whites of the New Zealand soccer team.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Crete Boom

Was at the game yesterday and in fairness if it had finished with the scoreboard at 12-8 I don't think many could argue that wasn't a fair reflection on how the game went. Mayo kicked away a criminal amount of ball especially in the second half and failed to exert any pressure on the Tyrone full back line apart from a few sporadic moments during the game. On the plus side Aiden O' Shea won a huge amount again at midfield as did Barry when he came on and Doherty and Conroy did win their fair share of ball when it was delivered any way half decent into them. If we play a two man fullforward line we'll have to vary the passes going in and Conroy and Doherty Will have to work harder on their runs to provide quicker options for the men delivering these passes.
  The most disappointing part of Mayo's game was the amount of times players ran into traffic with the ball which slowed/stopped the moves or resulted in turnovers. Tyrone looked super fit and well organised as expected but they left a good few points behind them due to poor shooting and shot selection but that can be rectified. Good to see Ronan O' Neill getting a run out as I think he could be a big player in Tyrone's future over the next few years. The penalty while it wasn't a nailed on it did look like Higgins played the man not the ball so I wouldn't complain too much about it although it is sickening to give up a 2 point lead after shocking Tyrone in a game we really didn't deserve to win.
I think O'Neill hit the nail on the head regarding Deegan in that apart from the penalty he didn't make any hard calls for frees to either side but seemed to think he'd make up for this by giving a lot of soft frees to both sides. To me it as if he didn't want to be seen to have any hand in deciding the outcome of the game and even did the old trick of giving us one more chance to try and level the game even though time was up after the penalty. Could be in for a tough day in Croker against the Dubs in 3 weeks but these are worries for another day so all that's left to say is well done to Tyrone.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 11, 2013, 11:49:58 AM
Tyrone are trying to aspire to come up to the level of Kildare

Well we do have one more All Ireland title than them!  :P
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ballinaman

Quote from: criostlinn on February 11, 2013, 10:33:55 AM

Yes it seems you have all right
Just the last 2 years of league and championship football evidently...