Ulster venue to host International Rules first test in 2013

Started by BennyCake, January 31, 2013, 01:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Ulster venue should host the first Rules test in 2013?

Athletic Grounds, Armagh
Breffni Park, Cavan
Celtic Park, Derry
Pairc Esler, Newry

Denn Forever

How far along is the Redevelopment of Casement Park?  Would that also not be a good venue?

Breffni would be great.  Make a weekend of it and so inaccessability would be less critical.

|Good roads to Cavan but I admit access to the park not great.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

rodney trotter

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 31, 2013, 03:59:31 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 31, 2013, 02:58:09 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 31, 2013, 02:35:55 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on January 31, 2013, 02:11:33 PM
It wouldn't just be for Ulster supporters. Breiffne would be a lot more accessible for Sligo, Mayo, Leitrim, Longford, etc.
I realise that. In the same way that Armagh/Newry would be a lot more accessible for Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone, Derry, Down, Louth etc.
Just don't see much point in hosting it in Ulster if it's going to be i one of the least accessible parts of the province!

How is it least accessible, Armagh to Cavan is an hour an 10 minutes, Armagh to Derry is 1 hour 35 minutes, Louth is an1  hour 20 minutes from Cavan. Cavan to Newy is 1-30minutes. That is still the same distance as Sligo and Roscommon both 1 hour -30 minutes give or take. Galway is 2 hours 10 minutes.
Quote from: Rossfan on January 31, 2013, 03:03:32 PM

Is there latent partitionism afoot from some of our contributors?  :P
Is Cavan not "real " Ulster?

Anyway 32,000 capacity against 16/18/20 is surely the clincher here.
Just because Cavan is closer to Connacht does not make it more accessible! Galway had it a few years ago, that was hardly accessible to the whole of the island.
Newry is on the main aerterial route between the two major population centres on this island. Armagh is 20 mins away from that.

People will be more inclined to go to a game if it's just an hour driving on motorway/dual carriageway. If it's some oul trek across poorer roads they might not be as keen to travel!

PS if we're discussing partitionist attitudes, I do believe rodney trotter got upset at a so-called 'Northern' ref in the Ulster intermediate late last year!

He had a shocker yeah ??? Westmeath, Meath Longford, border Cavan, Dublin is 1 hour 20 minutes on a motor way. You are making out that all roads are terrible around here

theticklemister

What about the UK City of Culture surly it has the pulling power to bring it to Derry City?

rodney trotter

Casement Park when it is completed will be hosting Ulster Finals from now on, thats is 2 hours from Cavan. Nobody can be happy whatever way.

ardal

If there's no health and saftey issue, I really can't see why we couldn't get 32,000 to attend in Cavan.

First time in Ulster,
Make a bit of a break of it
Tie it in with other events around the time
North South Partnership working together
Really make an event to a big build up on the day with lots happening in and around Cavan.

Stop complaining abut roads.
If you attract people's attention they will go, rain, hail or shine

rodney trotter

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 31, 2013, 04:00:36 PM
How far along is the Redevelopment of Casement Park?  Would that also not be a good venue?

Breffni would be great.  Make a weekend of it and so inaccessability would be less critical.

|Good roads to Cavan but I admit access to the park not great.

Unless a miracle happened then it won't be done for the International rules, it should look impressive when its done

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=work%20to%20commence%20on%20casement%20hoganstand&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEMQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hoganstand.com%2FArticleForm.aspx%3FID%3D182050&ei=9KAKUei5IISzhAf24ICIDw&usg=AFQjCNHnhuZsBNC75b8c08siyqCzN9bZYQ

armaghniac

QuoteUnless a miracle happened then it won't be done for the International rules, it should look impressive when its done

Casement won't be finished. There is a case for having the game in the likes of Breffni as subsequent games will be in Casement, but Armagh has more covered seats, although a smaller capacity overall.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tommysmith

Breffni applied for the Ulster final in 2013 but then pulled out i wonder were they offered this instead.

BennyCake

Obviously the GAA didn't pay any attention to our poll results!

The first test has been confirmed for KINGSPAN BREFFNI PARK!

Maguire01

I find it hard to believe that Breffni's capacity is 32,000 - only 3-4,000 less than Clones.

Regardless - International Rules is crap. Went to a game in Croke once - no thanks.

Itchy

I think its a great decision and as a Cavan man I'll be proud to see our ground show cased for van international match. Feck the (Monaghan) begrudgers. I have no doubt there will be a full house. Breffni is the oldest ground in ulster and was leading the way in development of grounds in ulster. It never got the games it deserved. Glad to see that put right to some extent

rodney trotter

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2013, 08:42:57 AM
I find it hard to believe that Breffni's capacity is 32,000 - only 3-4,000 less than Clones.

More like you don't want to believe that Breffi's capacity is 32,000.

Maguire01

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 23, 2013, 09:44:07 AM
Why would I not want to believe? What difference would that make?
When was the last time there was 20,000 punters in Breffni? Was it still 1/3 empty?

rodney trotter

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2013, 10:02:06 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 23, 2013, 09:44:07 AM
Why would I not want to believe? What difference would that make?
When was the last time there was 20,000 punters in Breffni? Was it still 1/3 empty?

Well you are clearly in shock that Breffni holds 32,000 . The last time it got 20,000 was around 04. Cavan football haven't had much to shout about in the last few years, some poor managers led to poor results which lead to peopple not turning up.

Hopefully you will get over it though, Monaghan - Clones got its fair share of big games.

Dougal Maguire

Breffni is a nice ground. It would be even better if they extended the roof of the main stand to cover the entire structure
Careful now