NFL Div 2 2013

Started by Croí na hÉireann, January 30, 2013, 03:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 27, 2013, 04:24:54 PM
What's wrong with Sharry shark? Big losses is right. Good chance for young Curley to show if he can step up though, hope Dessie is able for the last 10 if it's in the balance.

Not 100% certain but I believe he has a long standing groin injury that causes problems at times.

Shortso79

1   Westmeath   3   2   0   1   42   39   5
2   Derry   3   2   1   0   24   45   4
3   Galway   3   1   1   1   42   15   3
4   Louth   3   1   1   1   52   47   3
5   Laois   3   1   1   1   57   53   3
6   Armagh   3   1   1   1   47   52   3
7   Wexford   3   1   1   1   41   49   3
8   Longford   3   0   3   0   39   44   0

GalwayBayBoy

Threw away a 6 point half-time lead today. Most frustrating. Continuing our trend of good first halves and terrible second halves. Been the same in all 3 league games so far.

I get the sense that there is very little between the teams in division 2. There's already been 3 or 4 draws and anyone seems capable of beating anyone else on a given day. Could be very very tight for both promotion and relegation.

Walter Cronc

Great win for Derry today! Wexford never an easy place to go. Mc Ivor seems to be restoring a bit of pride in the jersey!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Looks like at least 6 or 7 points will be needed to be sure of avoiding relegation.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

armaghniac

Hard to see Armagh getting 6 or 7 points unless there is a marked improvement.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 03, 2013, 06:35:54 PM
Threw away a 6 point half-time lead today. Most frustrating. Continuing our trend of good first halves and terrible second halves. Been the same in all 3 league games so far.

I get the sense that there is very little between the teams in division 2. There's already been 3 or 4 draws and anyone seems capable of beating anyone else on a given day. Could be very very tight for both promotion and relegation.
5 teams on 3 points. It is very bunched.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 03, 2013, 06:35:54 PM

From a Westmeath perspective I'd say we didn't show up in the first half (again) and you saw what Westmeath are capable of in the second half. We got to grips around the middle when Duffy came on at half time and started to win some of the breaking ball, whereas Galway were mopping up all the breaking ball in the first half. It was good to come away with a draw, we were out on our feet at the end due the effort required in the second half and our performance in that half deserved it I feel.

Best for Westmeath were Ger Egan and Kieran Martin. Glennon looked lively and we didn't get enough ball into him. Conroy caused us all manner of problems and perhaps unfair on Doran Harte to put him in there on him where he isn't suited. Flanagan to be fair made the hard calls that needed to be made at ht but should've thrown on bodies when our legs started to tire. Galway emptied the bench and it nearly got them over the line. Great to come away from Tuam unbeaten. I'd say there are some sore bodies today though, it was a very physical match, Kieran Gavin picked up a nasty looking facial injury and had to come off, nothing too serious I hope.

Btw, does Marty Duffy think that there are different rules for playing with and against the wind?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Croí na hÉireann

Team for Sunday:

Gary Connaughton,
Mark McCallon, Kieran Gavin (Captain), Kevin Maguire,
Micheál Curley, John Gaffey, James Dolan,
David Duffy, John Heslin,
Ger Egan, Callum McCormack, Kieran Martin,
Denis Corroon, Ciaran Curley, Denis Glennon.

Good to see Kieran Gavin able to play, will be interesting to see how Gaffey gets on center back from the start. Also to see if Corroon is up to the job in the half forwards although he could be left inside as he did well there in the Kerry game last year. Have to start well this week.

GalwayBayBoy

Up to date table

1   Westmeath   4   3   0   7
2   Derry   4   2   1   1   5
3   Galway   4   2   1   1   5
4   Wexford   4   2   1   1   5
5   Armagh   4   1   1   2   4
6   Laois   4   1   2   1   3
7   Louth   4   1   2   1   3
8   Longford   4   0   4   0   0

Still tight but not looking good for Longford unfortunately.

Shamrock Shore

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath motoring well now, ground it out against Laois and broke their spirit. Probably deserved to win by more than two. Were three points down at half time after playing against the wind. Would have been a level if we had tracked the runner for the goal. Kept Laois to 2 points in the second half but you could see just before half time that they were cracking under the pressure in the middle third. We were working like wolves in there, anytime a Laois man was checked and held up there'd be two more Westmeath lads on top of him tearing away at the ball. The work rate is something to be admired although we need to be quicker to bring in fresh legs.

Heslin probably had his best game since that U21 game against Eastmeath in 2010. The free he put over from the 21 yard line out on the sideline was something else. Ger Egan once again got through a trojan amount of work and constantly left Billy Sheehan in his wake. Kieran Gavin looked very assured marking a man twice his size and didn't looked to be troubled at all by that nasty facial injury he picked up last week. The two corner backs are very settled in there and James Dolan in particular is really finding his feet in wing back. Gaffey did well in center back but will do well to keep Sharry out of there.

Duffy did well but needs to hold on to them balls after doing the hard work of getting up there. Corroon had a much better game than last week and hopefully he can settle into the half forwards. Kieran Martin his usual solid self as was Callum. Glennon did ok and Curley showed really well with one of the best corner backs in the business marking him. Pity he doesn't offer more of a scoring threat.

Safe from relegation now anyway, yellow bellies next. Least we should be more competitive than our last trip down there. Next couple of games definitely winnable and if that happens should be looking at promotion. Positive start to the season.

Edit: Forgot to mention Callum McCormacks 70 yard sprint back to put pressure on the ball and he succeeded in turning over possession, nearly as good as a score, great to see and lifted both the crowd and the players at a critical time.

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 11, 2013, 10:33:50 AM
Westmeath motoring well now, ground it out against Laois and broke their spirit. Probably deserved to win by more than two. Were three points down at half time after playing against the wind. Would have been a level if we had tracked the runner for the goal. Kept Laois to 2 points in the second half but you could see just before half time that they were cracking under the pressure in the middle third. We were working like wolves in there, anytime a Laois man was checked and held up there'd be two more Westmeath lads on top of him tearing away at the ball. The work rate is something to be admired although we need to be quicker to bring in fresh legs.

Heslin probably had his best game since that U21 game against Eastmeath in 2010. The free he put over from the 21 yard line out on the sideline was something else. Ger Egan once again got through a trojan amount of work and constantly left Billy Sheehan in his wake. Kieran Gavin looked very assured marking a man twice his size and didn't looked to be troubled at all by that nasty facial injury he picked up last week. The two corner backs are very settled in there and James Dolan in particular is really finding his feet in wing back. Gaffey did well in center back but will do well to keep Sharry out of there.

Duffy did well but needs to hold on to them balls after doing the hard work of getting up there. Corroon had a much better game than last week and hopefully he can settle into the half forwards. Kieran Martin his usual solid self as was Callum. Glennon did ok and Curley showed really well with one of the best corner backs in the business marking him. Pity he doesn't offer more of a scoring threat.

Safe from relegation now anyway, yellow bellies next. Least we should be more competitive than our last trip down there. Next couple of games definitely winnable and if that happens should be looking at promotion. Positive start to the season.

Very encouraging start.  The main plusses being:
1/ A definite gameplan that the team has bought in to.
2/ The unearthing of a couple of new players at this level, especially Ciaran Curley whose ball winning abilities are second to none.
3/ The continuing development of John Heslin in to one of the top footballers in the country.

The last point though comes with a hint of caution in that I don't think Westmeath would have a point on the board without him.  Could do without the over reliance.

League final a realistic target now, which would be above initial expectations. Would also be welcome to push back the club championship from it's insanely early start.

Dangleberrys

Just a question regarding promotion to Div 1 for the likes of a young, developing squad.  Would it be more beneficial to stay in Division 2 and have a few 'banker' games that you would be sure to win and a couple of much tougher matches, rather than playing at almost championship pace for the entire league in Div 1? 

Without doubt the exposure to the best teams will bring on a squad in terms of experience and skill requirements, but when in the midst of developing a young squad, would it be better to remain in Div 2?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Dangleberrys on March 11, 2013, 12:47:41 PM
Just a question regarding promotion to Div 1 for the likes of a young, developing squad.  Would it be more beneficial to stay in Division 2 and have a few 'banker' games that you would be sure to win and a couple of much tougher matches, rather than playing at almost championship pace for the entire league in Div 1? 

Without doubt the exposure to the best teams will bring on a squad in terms of experience and skill requirements, but when in the midst of developing a young squad, would it be better to remain in Div 2?

I was wondering about this last night actually. I mean Galway have a very young team this year and you would be afraid if they were to get promoted that they would just receive a series of trimmings in division 1 next year and be straight back down. Division 2 might be the best place for them for the time being. Playing decent sides but capable of winning some games as well. Then again they usually say that a team is better off playing the best as that's how they learn and develop. Even if they are getting battered for the most part.

Looking at division 2 it would not surprise me if the two teams that go up this year come straight back down next year.