Clare Daly after breathalyser: I had a hot whiskey for cold

Started by muppet, January 29, 2013, 08:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

I understand that she drove the worng way up a one-way street and 'met' a patrol. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 31, 2013, 03:06:36 PM
I understand that she drove the worng way up a one-way street and 'met' a patrol.

Er, do you think they were lying in wait for her to come up a one-way street?

gerrykeegan

She was not very clear so with her statement.

I left at midnight and not being familiar with the area found myself on the road to Ballyfermot at Kilmainham and took a right turn onto the South Circular Road trying to get back onto the Northside – unfortunately there is no right turn at this junction.

I assumed it was at the junction of Old Kilmainham road and emmet road. There is no turn right there on to the south circular road.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Main Street

Quote from: ludermor on January 31, 2013, 02:49:38 PM
Do normal guards on the beat carry around Breathalyzers? Did she take the wrong turn to avoid a checkpoint?  Im pretty sure she would have had to go to the station for the 'proper' test which should have given plenty of time for a single measure to be under the limit ( unless it was a huge house measure!!!)
This might read as an anti-woman rant and you might be right.
I don't think the omens are good for Clare.
She did feel it necessary to provide us with extra information,  that she was ill,  that she hadn't eaten in a long time, that she drank it just before she departed and she was given the 'house measure' indicating a good measure, an act of generosity from a grateful and caring host.
Therein lies a hat full of excuses (reducers), all prepared should she be found to be over the limit. Although I have never had to take a breathalyser, I would imagine that she would have benefitted from drinking as much water as she could until she was tested at the station and perhaps she should have asked for a blood sample to be taken to gain time. Maybe that's just myth.

Personally I don't think she had any malicious intent with getting her excuses in early, but rather that's just a natural woman's/wife's instinct to never ever take responsibility for ones actions ;D 
Furthermore, she makes a mistake while driving,
try and ask a woman, well what did you do? did you not see the sign? and the answer will sound like the whole universe conspired to make her take that wrong turn.
Lastly, the Gardai probably leaked out the info, not nice but that's just the way it is, she was perceived as criticising the Gardai in the Dail and the Gardai take this kind of thing personal.

heffo

Quote from: gerrykeegan on January 31, 2013, 03:48:01 PM

I left at midnight and not being familiar with the area found myself on the road to Ballyfermot at Kilmainham and took a right turn onto the South Circular Road trying to get back onto the Northside – unfortunately there is no right turn at this junction.

I assumed it was at the junction of Old Kilmainham road and emmet road. There is no turn right there on to the south circular road.

You're right - the only 'no right turn' I know of around there is when you're on the SCR and want to go right out towards Ballyfermot/N4

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on January 31, 2013, 04:16:06 PM
Do normal guards on the beat carry around Breathalyzers? Did she take the wrong turn to avoid a checkpoint?  Im pretty sure she would have had to go to the station for the 'proper' test which should have given plenty of time for a single measure to be under the limit ( unless it was a huge house measure!!!)
She did feel it necessary to provide us with extra information,  that she was ill,  that she hadn't eaten in a long time, that she drank it just before she departed and she was given the 'house measure' indicating a good measure, an act of generosity from a grateful and caring host.
Therein lies a hat full of excuses (reducers), all prepared should she be found to be over the limit. Although I have never had to take a breathalyser, I would imagine that she would have benefitted from drinking as much water as she could until she was tested at the station and perhaps she should have asked for a blood sample to be taken to gain time. Maybe that's just myth.

Personally I don't think she had any malicious intent with getting her excuses in early, but rather that's just a natural woman's/wife's instinct to never ever take responsibility for ones actions ;D 
try and ask a woman, well what did you do? did you not see the sign? and the answer will sound like the whole universe conspired to make her take that wrong turn.
Lastly, the Gardai probably leaked out the info, not nice but that's just the way it is, she was perceived as criticising the Gardai in the Dail and the Gardai take this kind of thing personal.

+1

It is amazing how some people can read between the lines and others need it tattooed onto their eyelids.
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Quote from: heffo on January 31, 2013, 04:17:13 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on January 31, 2013, 03:48:01 PM

You're right - the only 'no right turn' I know of around there is when you're on the SCR and want to go right out towards Ballyfermot/N4

I'm only saying what I heard from a fairly reliable source - I didn't mean anything sinister by it at all deiseach.

deiseach

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 01, 2013, 10:33:46 AM
I'm only saying what I heard from a fairly reliable source - I didn't mean anything sinister by it at all deiseach.

Okay, but I'm still not getting it. You say she "'met' a patrol". This strikes me as implying that the patrol was lying in wait for her. If they were, then they must have been psychic. Or perhap they assumed a woman driver was bound to take a wrong turn ;)

Larry Duff

Not eating in a long time may speed up the process of becoming "drunk" but surely it wouldn't have any bearing on the level of alcohol in your system. So I don't see the reason for mentioning it at all.  Not eating before drinking may be the difference between waking up with a sore head or waking up in the garden with a sore head, but it couldn't be the differnce between being fit to drive and being over the limit.

magpie seanie

She wouldn't have been allowed take anything by mouth from when she was tested on the roadside. You cannot "opt" for the blood test but if you make a reasnonable attempt at the "big breathalyser" in the station and can't register a result then it's a urine or blood sample that is taken. Not sure about the urine sample but for the blood sample a doctor is needed and that can result in delays which needless to say the person accused would be delighted about.

Billys Boots

Quote from: deiseach on February 01, 2013, 11:09:41 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on February 01, 2013, 10:33:46 AM

Okay, but I'm still not getting it. You say she "'met' a patrol". This strikes me as implying that the patrol was lying in wait for her. If they were, then they must have been psychic. Or perhap they assumed a woman driver was bound to take a wrong turn ;)

I shouldn't have put any emphasis on the word met - I only meant it in the sense that she happened upon them as opposed to having expected them to be there. 

Bingo

Fierce interest in this case, while other recent news goes hardly mentioned.

Might be best to wait till the full story comes out and see what the actual outcome is, idle spectulation and hearsay otherwise.

Main Street

Quote from: Larry Duff on February 01, 2013, 11:47:53 AM
Not eating in a long time may speed up the process of becoming "drunk" but surely it wouldn't have any bearing on the level of alcohol in your system. So I don't see the reason for mentioning it at all.  Not eating before drinking may be the difference between waking up with a sore head or waking up in the garden with a sore head, but it couldn't be the differnce between being fit to drive and being over the limit.
Larry, for sure you can mull over her account, but why do you think Clare needs to have a rational reason in order to state something which she deems worthy to be mentioned in her account?

I forecast some stormy times ahead for you in relationship matters :)

Main Street

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 01, 2013, 12:11:36 PM

She wouldn't have been allowed take anything by mouth from when she was tested on the roadside. You cannot "opt" for the blood test but if you make a reasnonable attempt at the "big breathalyser" in the station and can't register a result then it's a urine or blood sample that is taken. Not sure about the urine sample but for the blood sample a doctor is needed and that can result in delays which needless to say the person accused would be delighted about.
If the case does go to a court process, she can take the oath and truly say 'Your honour, it was only resting in my bloodstream'.

Bingo

No drink driving case to be heard as she was under the limit.