Maigh Eo v Ciarrai NFL Div 1 Caislean an Bharraigh Sun 3rd Feb 2pm

Started by macdanger2, January 29, 2013, 12:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Paidi Hughes in the middle of the action. MOM at the minute.

orangeman

Mayo looking good winning by 6 points in the end.

Kerry are not as bad as this result suggests. Mayo might not be as good.

But time will tell.

Mayo took some amazing scores.

Cafferkey in the end got MOM. Paidi Hughes will be raging.

omagh_gael

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 01, 2013, 08:40:11 PM
Jaysus lads, I'd have thought you Mayo buckeens would have this thread in double numbers by now?? All quiet out whest.

Get the popcorn and coke out lads, she'll be hundred pages long before the c**k crows in the morning ;)

From the Bunker

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 03, 2013, 03:40:33 PM
Jaysus lads, I'd have thought you Mayo buckeens would have this thread in double numbers by now?? All quiet out whest.

Get the popcorn and coke out lads, she'll be hundred pages long before the c**k crows in the morning ;)

Ah, don't be getting jealous now! Sure is it not great that we have a team worth talking about!  ;D

ballinaman

Just home...initial thoughts..

Positives - Feeney, Caff, AOS, Micky Conroy, Doherty.
Negatives - Kevin Mc wasted in FF line, McHale struggled, Cunniffe too but was on O'Sullivan to be fair to him and a bit rusty.

Wouldn't read much into Kerry, toothless in 2nd but missing big hitters.

muppet

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 03, 2013, 03:40:33 PM

You've already crowed.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Quote from: ballinaman on February 03, 2013, 04:19:52 PM

Negatives - Kevin Mc wasted in FF line, McHale struggled, Cunniffe too but was on O'Sullivan to be fair to him and a bit rusty.

Agree with that. Conroy was slightly off the pace last season, as he joined the squad late. I'm expecting more from him this year. Doherty enjoyed the free taking responsibilities.

We were helped by a developing Kerry side, who will have a different look come the summer. The sending off was the ending of the game as a game and helped the Mayo Scoreline.

Two points in the bag, a few lessons learned!

FL/MAYO

In the interview after the game Horan stated that he was impressed with McHale.
I thought the backs played very well most of the game except for a period in the first half when Kerry scored their goal. Keegan looked very good as well, Caff looks like he has gained in confidence from last year which bodes well for the upcoming year. Conroy showed well and scored a few great points.

ballinaman

Quote from: FL/MAYO on February 03, 2013, 04:53:49 PM

In the interview after the game Horan stated that he was impressed with McHale.
I thought the backs played very well most of the game except for a period in the first half when Kerry scored their goal. Keegan looked very good as well, Caff looks like he has gained in confidence from last year which bodes well for the upcoming year. Conroy showed well and scored a few great points.
I heard that but I wouldn't expect him to criticise a young guy making one of his first few starts in the last year. Just thought he lacked a bit of pace, O'Donoghue had the better of him for a spell when Kerry looked dangerous.

All in all, a good day at the office. Would have liked to have seen Cathal Freeman get the full game. If Alan Freeman could hold the ball better he would be a serious theat inside.

Syferus

Don't know how different Kerry will be come Summer. Today's result is about the absolute level they'll be at this year. The rebuilding will take more than a single spring and I'm not all that sure it's properly began even now.

Captain Obvious

The team Kerry lined out with today would be lucky to beat any Div 1 side they will be better once Eoin Brosnan, Colm Cooper,Paul Galvin,Kieran Donaghy,David Moran and Donnacha Walsh return. Mayo should get one of the semi final spots.

orangeman

Quote from: Syferus on February 03, 2013, 05:23:18 PM
Don't know how different Kerry will be come Summer. Today's result is about the absolute level they'll be at this year. The rebuilding will take more than a single spring and I'm not all that sure it's properly began even now.

Kerry will be there or thereabouts.

They've a lot of men to come back.

Mayo's target this year is Sam. Cafferkey got talked into admitting this in his post match interview.

Syferus

Quote from: orangeman on February 03, 2013, 06:10:18 PM

Mayo's target this year is Sam. Cafferkey got talked into admitting this in his post match interview.

There or thereabouts, sure, but it's pretty clear that for the first time in many years Kerry are off the pace of the top four and in my mind Kildare would probably run them ragged if they met in the championship. Not challenging for the AI is absolutely no where to the Kingdom and the problems that exist seem very much to be the ones that will only be solved when younger players develop and mature. With so many of the old faces still there that process is going to be slower than it needs to be.

Based on Tyrone and Kildare's early season form, as well as the obvious quality of Donegal, Cork and Dublin, it's going to be a battle for Kerry to survive in Division 1 now, nevermind make a semi-final.

Farrandeelin

Just in myself, had things to do. Yes, a win is a win and all that, but Kerry were poison in the second half. Especially after the sending off. However, I'm not convinced it was ALL about the sending off either. I thought the backs were excellent, granted McHale may have been a bit slow and Cunniffe was probably left on Darran O'Sullivan for too long, but the rest did their jobs very well. The two O'Sheas were holding their own in the middle before the sending off too. 0-13 by the inside forward line (albeit 6 frees) is a good return. We have just got to keep that up for now.

Fair play to Billy Fitz for giving Richie Feeney man of the match on the radio, although Caff deserved his one too from TG4, I thought Feeney was immense. I would worry for Kerry though. The youngsters they had out there don't seem to step up to the mark. I know they will more than likely be there or thereabouts when the main action comes around, but any injuries to key players and it could be a different story.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: orangeman on February 03, 2013, 06:10:18 PM

Well it has to be the target, hasn t it.

A lot of positives for us. And some old failings persist.

The positives I d take from it apart from usual huger and attitude were the very good displays of several  players. Most have been mentioned already but I d include Higgins also and I d have Boyle as runner-up to Caff. as mom. AOS too was the man. His kick passes were very impressive in first half.

Some lads struggled. Unfortunately Cathal Freeman seems to be struggling to get to the pace of the game, which is a pity considering his creativity. Cunniffe was very ropey.

I think Keegan will be needed at 6 later. Feeney more effective as a working hf. If another convert is likely to work as a hf then Boyle is the obvious choice. He already has history as a very effective operator in the forwards.

Also disappointed with the amount of scores we still concede by turning over softish ball. 

Kerry ll be grand later. As well as those already mentioned there s likes of Tomás and Declan O Sullivan to bring back too. Only question mark about Kerry is if they still have the legs in the older bucks. I suppose todays game showed that the second Kerry string are very ordinary compared to the vintage crop we ve been used to.