Laois v Armagh, NFL Div 2, Round 1, Sat 2nd February

Started by BennyCake, January 27, 2013, 10:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 04, 2013, 12:20:47 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on February 04, 2013, 12:16:39 PM

Well the reality is that no other Armagh club have done what cross have in this regard.

No other club in the country nevermind Armagh would have done what we have done and continue to do.  At the back of it all though is that the players that are now available to Armagh need to prove their worth.  If they do, well and good, if they don't then there should not be any argument about a number of Cross players coming in at whatever stage they do.[/quote

Broken that would be fine if we just turned up in May at Breffni and picked the best 15 players in the county and tell them to go out and play well!! But surely Grimley et al would be devising a gameplan, moves etc.... so would need to see these players and incorporate them into their gameplan, tactics etc. The old chestnut is that there are cross players outside of the usuals that would warrant a county space but the first place to play them is most certainly not Breffni Park on the 19th May, it is a catch 22 scenario for both Armagh and Cross. There have been a few cross boys in the past who take a break after the club final and so aren't even available for the last few league games, no word of the boys who have trained and played 2/3 McKenna matches and seven League games taking a break.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 04, 2013, 12:27:03 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 04, 2013, 12:20:47 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on February 04, 2013, 12:16:39 PM

Well the reality is that no other Armagh club have done what cross have in this regard.

No other club in the country nevermind Armagh would have done what we have done and continue to do.  At the back of it all though is that the players that are now available to Armagh need to prove their worth.  If they do, well and good, if they don't then there should not be any argument about a number of Cross players coming in at whatever stage they do.

Well that's a valid point to make but a completely separate one. I was simply pointing out that what you say about every other club in armagh doing the same is not true. Of course Cross will have the overwhelming back ing of the county when match day comes but you must remember, and admittedly this must seem odd to a cross man, the club championship pales into the background for every other armagh supporter when compared to a national league and even McKenna Cup game.

I understand that and trust me despite what people thing Cross people are very proud Armagh people and histroy has shown that.  Every team bar that has won any title for Armagh has had a cross man on it.  In many cases there have been 3-4 starting players, the commitment of Cross to the success of Armagh should not be underestimated.  The reality is though that at the minute there is only 1 focus and if it was any club in a similar position in any other county, the same would be happening. 

Steve Nicks, I know what you're saying, the point I am making is that if the players who are getting their chances now are not taking them then what other option has the county management got.  There will be minimum 2 National League games if we go the whole way to the 17th March.  There will no doubt be plenty of challenge games between then and the first round of the championship.  It is foolish to suggest that they will be thrown in for the championship with no game time.  They may be challenge games but in the build up for a championship season they will be fairly fiesty affairs and will give the management plenty of chances to see them playing.

Orior

Let us face reality. Armagh do not have a band of players that other teams fear. Jamie is our one and only quality player.

A spell in Division 3 looms.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

we should at the very least retain a spot in Division 2, but the absence on any players from the  best club team in the county is a severe handicap, and prevents proper build up of systems, morale etc.

Still think there is a compromise to be made

Applesisapples

Quote from: Mont on February 04, 2013, 11:50:01 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 04, 2013, 11:35:06 AM
Surely its time for Cross to "man up" and allow their players to join the County squad in January and partcipate for a full season. Take the risk with injury and test the strength of their own squad if it happens.

how naive? cross dont give a shite bout armagh wen they r stil involved in club cship. rightly r wrongly this is how it is.
am sure some universities wud b a lot stronger if they were allowed to play as well for sigerson

goin by reports they may not have made any diference such is rmaghs curent style of play. hope grimley has s job for life.
nathan carter wil be biggest thing to happen in armagh this yr
It's time you went back to school mont!

mackers

Quote from: Orior on February 04, 2013, 12:54:32 PM
Let us face reality. Armagh do not have a band of players that other teams fear. Jamie is our one and only quality player.

A spell in Division 3 looms.
No harm to you Orior but that's a crock of sh1t.  We don't have the quality of player to compete for AIs but we do have the quality of player to maintain Division 2 status.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

David McKeown

Was told on Saturday that a number of cross players (not sure who) attended the McKenna cup games and set near the Armagh subs and that they had attended a number allbeit certainly not all the Armagh training sessions.  Any truth in that?

I think Cross are perfectly right doing what they are doing in sticking with the club first.  The problem I have though is I watched the Armagh match on Saturday and was asked by a Laois fan how many Cross players would start for Armagh, when I actually thought about it I ended up wondering how many Armagh players would start for Cross.  Theres certainly not a lot to choose between the two teams in a lot of positions.  Thats not Cross' fault just a sad indictment of the way the county is going at the minute and a credit to how good Cross are. 
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

DuffleKing

Quote from: David McKeown on February 04, 2013, 03:10:39 PM
Was told on Saturday that a number of cross players (not sure who) attended the McKenna cup games and set near the Armagh subs and that they had attended a number allbeit certainly not all the Armagh training sessions.  Any truth in that?

I think Cross are perfectly right doing what they are doing in sticking with the club first.  The problem I have though is I watched the Armagh match on Saturday and was asked by a Laois fan how many Cross players would start for Armagh, when I actually thought about it I ended up wondering how many Armagh players would start for Cross.  Theres certainly not a lot to choose between the two teams in a lot of positions.  Thats not Cross' fault just a sad indictment of the way the county is going at the minute and a credit to how good Cross are.

Says more about your understanding of the difference between club and county football than anything else

Stevie Nicks

J Hanratty was water boy in the Athletic Grounds against Cavan in McKenna Cup which was good to see

armaghniac

QuoteJ Hanratty was water boy in the Athletic Grounds against Cavan in McKenna Cup which was good to see

Now there's a water boy to send in against Paul Galvin!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Throw ball

Was at Armagh v Down McKenna cup match and saw the county contingent from Cross take their seats with the subs dressed in Armagh track suits. Positive development from last year.

Although it may be best for Armagh if Cross lose next day out I, along with many Armagh fans, hope they can make history and win three in a row. They can then bring their positive approach to the county set up and teach it to a few others!

Onion Bag

Quote from: T Fearon on February 03, 2013, 09:57:00 PM
Saw a van parked at the back of the stand last night,with a sign on it reading "Armagh kit van".Right,so in these recessionary times,we need to go to the expense of acquiring and maintaining a van,just to transport kit? Do Chambers coaches nit have ample luggage bearing facilities? Have any other counties got a kit van?

The Down one was stopped on the way to clones a few years back and she was filled with red diesel,
True story
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Shamrock Shore

David McKeown

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 04, 2013, 03:25:41 PM

Says more about your understanding of the difference between club and county football than anything else

Really how many of the Armagh starting 15 on Saturday night would start for Cross where they able?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Armamike

Any county side needs all their players available to them from the very start of the year to build team spirit and cohesion.  The less chopping and changing throughout the league, the better.   If this was Cross's first push for an All-Ireland I could understand why they'd want to wrap their players in cotton, but this is virtually an annual occurrance so they know the All-Ireland terrain well by now.  I don't know what the arrangements are at the minute between the county and Crossmaglen, but i'd hope the Cross players have at least been involved in county team meetings, attended get togethers, and the message sent out that they are an integral part of the panel. On the other side it's not realistic to expect them to train full tilt with the county either when they are making preparations for an AI semi final. There has to be a middle ground.
That's just, like your opinion man.