NFL Division 3 2013

Started by ross4life, January 27, 2013, 07:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Am I missing something in your equation? Let's forget about Sligo hurlers which are irrelevant to division 3 or football league playoffs.

Your argument:
League finals (and semi finals in an 8 team group!) = revenue to pay expenses and benefits demanded by GPA for county players. It's all about the money.
-----------
So league playoffs generate more revenue, the GAA needs more revenue to meet the demands of expenses therefore it's the GPA's fault there are league playoffs.

Or are you not saying the league playoffs are the GPAs fault?

If you are what about league playoffs prior to the GPA?

I

magpie seanie

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 12, 2013, 03:49:53 PM
Am I missing something in your equation? Let's forget about Sligo hurlers which are irrelevant to division 3 or football league playoffs.

Your argument:
League finals (and semi finals in an 8 team group!) = revenue to pay expenses and benefits demanded by GPA for county players. It's all about the money.
-----------
So league playoffs generate more revenue, the GAA needs more revenue to meet the demands of expenses therefore it's the GPA's fault there are league playoffs.

Or are you not saying the league playoffs are the GPAs fault?

If you are what about league playoffs prior to the GPA?

I

The bit in bold covers what I think. I believe the GAA needs the money, despite what many would have you believe. I'm esecially referring to the ridiculous situation of semi finals in an 8 team group.

imtommygunn

While the lower division ones do seem a bit pointless I think it would be a damp squib to have nothing for league champions and would leave a big gap between division 1 finishing and championship starting. It also gives incentives to finish in the top positions in the league if you are say safe early on. (1 game is not enough but one with the incentive each time of another one is better than any challenge game)

I always actually liked the system they used to have with league quarter finals from all divisions with a lot more from division 1 and 2.

I don't entirely disagree with your money point but don't see in this case that it has anything to do with the GPA. League playoffs seemed to mean a lot more years ago than they do now. Maybe it's the qualifiers which have impacted this.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 12, 2013, 04:10:07 PM
I always actually liked the system they used to have with league quarter finals from all divisions with a lot more from division 1 and 2.

That was a great system. I don't know why they ever got rid of it.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 12, 2013, 06:11:54 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 12, 2013, 04:10:07 PM

That was a great system. I don't know why they ever got rid of it.

It was actually, we can agree on that.

brianboru00

top 4 in division 1, top 2 in division 2 and top in divisions 3 & 4.

I could never understand why they on at least two occasions went to a 2 tier league - divisions 1A, 1B and 2A , 2B
Kerry v carlow, leitrim , etc..

From the Bunker

Ah, the system is sound as it is now. You have finals and Champions from 4 Divisions. It gives 8 teams finals (and two more semi finals). It's grand as it is. Can you imagine how much of a dead rubber Division 4 would be if there was a team dominating early on in the League campaign. With only one team qualifying and no relegation, games could be meaningless with two to three rounds to go.

Maguire01

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 14, 2013, 12:19:55 PM
Ah, the system is sound as it is now. You have finals and Champions from 4 Divisions. It gives 8 teams finals (and two more semi finals). It's grand as it is. Can you imagine how much of a dead rubber Division 4 would be if there was a team dominating early on in the League campaign. With only one team qualifying and no relegation, games could be meaningless with two to three rounds to go.
For a lot of teams in Div 4, games are fairly meaningless relatively early on.

TacadoirArdMhacha

From recollection, the second team in Divisions 3 and 4 always got promoted, they just didn't make the League quarter-finals.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

From the Bunker

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 14, 2013, 01:16:24 PM

From recollection, the second team in Divisions 3 and 4 always got promoted, they just didn't make the League quarter-finals.

Fair enough on that point. Still think it's grand the way it is at the moment.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 14, 2013, 02:38:36 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 14, 2013, 01:16:24 PM

Fair enough on that point. Still think it's grand the way it is at the moment.

Nothing grand about having semi finals for a group of eight teams.

Syferus

A 1A, 1B with D2 and D3 seems to be the best format to my mind. More opportunities for up-and-coming teams to play the big boys and have valid league semis to boot. Hopefully they return to that idea after the aborted attempt to switch to it before last season.

Farrandeelin

Any Rossie know the fella from Strokestown with the peaked cao and a loada grey hair coming from all angles underneath it. The bloody hoor had my arse annoyed giving out about Mayo after they lost to Cork in the 2010 league final, when I was near fit to lash out at him! Last Sunday who boards the bus but sat in the seat in front of me and gave out non stop about Connacht football but yer man, though his hair seemed a biteen shorter this time.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 16, 2013, 11:35:26 PM
Any Rossie know the fella from Strokestown with the peaked cao and a loada grey hair coming from all angles underneath it. The bloody hoor had my arse annoyed giving out about Mayo after they lost to Cork in the 2010 league final, when I was near fit to lash out at him! Last Sunday who boards the bus but sat in the seat in front of me and gave out non stop about Connacht football but yer man, though his hair seemed a biteen shorter this time.

I presume that's meant to be cap :D
That bucko is fairly opinionated alright and not shy about letting people have his thoughts on the state of things  ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

commonman

He's a constant presence at Roscommon matches for as long as i'm going and thats over 30 years,  a very decent man in fairness