Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: Syferus on April 03, 2013, 08:03:19 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on April 03, 2013, 07:45:01 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 03, 2013, 06:26:31 PM
Quote from: ross4life on April 03, 2013, 05:52:58 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 03, 2013, 05:43:43 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 03, 2013, 05:35:20 PM
We'd have to bate Cavan and hope that Monaghan and Meath both lose.
Of course Cavan would have to bate us and hope........
Can't really see Monaghan losing but Meath and Fermanagh  ???
A draw for Monaghan or Meath might have been enough for Roscommon if the scoring difference wasn't so poor.
Or if we hadn't drawn with Wicklow at home, that last minute goal could be a real killer. TBH i can't see us winning in Breffni park we have awful record there and we are still missing a number of key players though some of St Brigids lads may get a start on Sunday as Conor Daly,Donie Smith,Colin Compton will need a rest after Saturdays U21 Connacht final.

I thought they needed a rest after the semi-final too. Evans and seemingly all Connacht senior managers are being reckless in their use of the U21 players so I won't be surprised if all but Compton feature on Sunday. Cavan will be missing their own U21s if they beat Down tonight because they ring fence them for the U21s once the championship starts. We beat Cavan handily last year with a less-than stellar performance so I wouldn't be surprised by a win this year too.

Either way it'd be great to enter the extended Summer holidays on the back of three good league wins and an AI club title.

Foolish to go by last year's form with Cavan. We have a different manager and a big change over in players from last year. A lot of experienced players are back on the panel this year, dropped by the previous manager. Some of the players that played that day against Ross aren't even on the panel now. We were conceding big scores last year against a lot of teams, which has been changed this year, our 2 defeats this year have only been by 2 pts.

Oh, I think it's a nearly 50:50, and that's assuming we have most of our Brigid's players back. We are still nursing a few key injuries on top of everything else. I just don't buy into the idea that Cavan are a fearsome proposition for us. We're also significantly better than we were last year so the improvements Cavan have made are off-set to a degree.

Well I never said we were a fearsome proposition, just replying to the part where you said Ros beat Cavan with a less then steller performance last year,and that you wouldn't be surprised if that happened this year either.

We are not as bad as last year, a simple way of putting it.

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 03, 2013, 08:13:57 PM
A draw for Monaghan or Meath might have been enough for Roscommon if the scoring difference wasn't so poor.
Or if we hadn't drawn with Wicklow at home, that last minute goal could be a real killer. TBH i can't see us winning in Breffni park we have awful record there and we are still missing a number of key players though some of St Brigids lads may get a start on Sunday as Conor Daly,Donie Smith,Colin Compton will need a rest after Saturdays U21 Connacht final.

I thought they needed a rest after the semi-final too. Evans and seemingly all Connacht senior managers are being reckless in their use of the U21 players so I won't be surprised if all but Compton feature on Sunday. Cavan will be missing their own U21s if they beat Down tonight because they ring fence them for the U21s once the championship starts. We beat Cavan handily last year with a less-than stellar performance so I wouldn't be surprised by a win this year too.

Either way it'd be great to enter the extended Summer holidays on the back of three good league wins and an AI club title.

Foolish to go by last year's form with Cavan. We have a different manager and a big change over in players from last year. A lot of experienced players are back on the panel this year, dropped by the previous manager. Some of the players that played that day against Ross aren't even on the panel now. We were conceding big scores last year against a lot of teams, which has been changed this year, our 2 defeats this year have only been by 2 pts.

Oh, I think it's a nearly 50:50, and that's assuming we have most of our Brigid's players back. We are still nursing a few key injuries on top of everything else. I just don't buy into the idea that Cavan are a fearsome proposition for us. We're also significantly better than we were last year so the improvements Cavan have made are off-set to a degree.

Well I never said we were a fearsome proposition, just replying to the part where you said Ros beat Cavan with a less then steller performance last year,and that you wouldn't be surprised if that happened this year either.

I never said you or any Cavan supporters were, in fact it's it was our own supporters I was talking about when it came to propagating that particular chestnut.

I didn't say we'd beat Cavan with a less-than stellar performance this year either.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Syferus on April 03, 2013, 08:23:55 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on April 03, 2013, 08:13:57 PM

I never said you or any Cavan supporters were, in fact it's it was our own supporters I was talking about when it came to propagating that particular chestnut.

I didn't say we'd beat Cavan with a less-than stellar performance this year either.

No panic.

commonman

Tom is heading to Breffni on Sunday

Rossfan

Oh, I think it's a nearly 50:50, and that's assuming we have most of our Brigid's players back
We only had 4 Brids on our panel up to this.
The others on this years County panel are totally untried at Inter Co level and remains to be seen if they are capable of stepping up.
Syf you now seem to have got it into your bandwagonhopping head that the Brigid's players are all the next Gerry O'Malleys or the like. :-[
Previously it was Cathal Shine who was the supersuperstar in your silliness.  ::)
Have you now dropped him in favour of anyone at all from Brid's?
Maybe a bit of  :-X might be in order from you for a while.
We're not without hope but with our scoring returns of late it's hard to make a case for us winning this one esp as Donie and Compton are unlikely to be playing after their- we hope winning -exertions on Saturday evening.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on April 03, 2013, 10:12:21 PM
Oh, I think it's a nearly 50:50, and that's assuming we have most of our Brigid's players back
We only had 4 Brids on our panel up to this.
The others on this years County panel are totally untried at Inter Co level and remains to be seen if they are capable of stepping up.
Syf you now seem to have got it into your bandwagonhopping head that the Brigid's players are all the next Gerry O'Malleys or the like. :-[
Previously it was Cathal Shine who was the supersuperstar in your silliness.  ::)
Have you now dropped him in favour of anyone at all from Brid's?
We're not without hope but with our scoring returns of late it's hard to make a case for us winning this one esp as Donie and Compton are unlikely to be playing after their- we hope winning -exertions on Saturday evening.

Shine was Shining before broke his handeen.

The four established Brigids players are almost all at key areas for us - Mango in the middle has been missed hugely, Senan K is our best forward, Ian K is our best half-back. Domican is going to find it hard to jump right back into the team but he's been a cornerstone of the defense and is probably going to slot in come championship too. It's no exageration to say we can play a far more direct style of football with the Brigids players back And that's before you get to other Brigids lads we need to have a look at in competitive action and Sunday would be a very good opportunity to see what we've got.

What's your favourite Tom Cruise filum, lad?

ross4life

We're also significantly better than we were last year

That's debatable. Last year we finished with 8pts at moment we have 7pts. Our scoring difference last year was +9 to -5 now. If we lose on Sunday we'll have got significantly worse.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on April 03, 2013, 10:30:48 PM
We're also significantly better than we were last year

That's debatable. Last year we finished with 8pts at moment we have 7pts. Our scoring difference last year was +9 to -5 now. If we lose on Sunday we'll have got significantly worse.

We've had a massive list of absentees, we've blooded some young players who have took to senior like ducks to water and we've shored up our defence considerably. The quality of the teams in D3 is also noticeably better this year too. I tried to give Des every chance but even by this stage last year there was clear disharmony in the camp whereas the players really seem to be playing for Evans.

Whatever happens on Sunday we can look to this year's championship with more optimism than last year.

Rudi

Quote from: Rossfan on April 03, 2013, 10:12:21 PM
?

How's about the bit in bold be changed to "forever" ;D

Hardy

Quote from: Syferus on April 03, 2013, 10:22:03 PM

Why do Connacht people do this?

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on April 04, 2013, 11:04:58 AM
Quote from: Syferus on April 03, 2013, 10:22:03 PM

Why do Connacht people do this?
Same reason Meath people pronounce r in the French style.
Culture and history 

Hardy

Turlough O Carolan

In the Wesht, we are all just stage Irishmen in an 18th century play. The "een" is used as a term of endearment such as "let me give a bowleen of milk to my poor pisceen" or sarcasm "a little maneen came around today asking for my voteen..." Or indeed Colm O Rourkeen.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on April 04, 2013, 11:28:58 AM
Yes, but why?
English doesn't really go for diminutives but many other languages do
Spanish has -ito, German has -chen, French has -ette
Irish is just like them innit 

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.