Down v Tyrone NFL Div 1 Newry Sat 2nd Feb 7pm

Started by Redhand Santa, January 27, 2013, 07:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corkey22

Thought the ref was poor for most sides, though probably worse for Tyrone, missed a lot of big calls

westdowngael

Arrived home from the game last night slightly disappointed at not coming away with at least a draw, thought it was a good enough game for the tie of year and a slippery looking pitch.

Down started off well and the movement was excellent but after halftime Tyrone tightened up and where more wary of the runners comig from deep. Some good performances on both sides.

For Down Ryan Boyle and Connaire Harrison didnt look out of place and put in a good shift, young Cunningham in nets i though was excellent throughout apart from the odd suspect kickout, Benny McArdle put in a good effort but is more suited to fullback but not much could be done with Mr O'Neill. King was lucky to stay on the field and mckernan battled hard and done rightly.

For Tyrone though O'Neill and McAlisky where topdrawer, in defence the young fella McKenna can fair shift up the pitch and one run in partiular where he ran up along the line and set up the goal opportunity which hit the post was fantastic.

Tyrone just looked that slight bit fitter than us and had maybe a few more match winners both on the pitch and who they brought on.

As for the ref....brutal for both teams with some strange decisions

orangeman

In terms of the referee, you better get used to him. You'll be seeing plenty of him in the next 10 + years.

He got the minor final in 2012 and will be doing the big one shortly.

Mark my words.

SHEEDY

Quote from: under the bar on February 03, 2013, 04:08:36 PM
Good won for Tyrone in the face of disgracefully partizan refereeing.  Trampish behaviour indeed from Down management
trampish behaviour from down management??? explain that please. seems abit rich for anyone from tyrone to call someone else a tr**p. some of the behaviour in the stands from so called tyrone supporters was a disgrace.

thought we played well in the 1st half and could have been further in front. tyrone were just a bit stronger in the 2nd. thought the ref was bad for both teams and missed alot.
nil satis nisi optimum

under the bar

I didn't call anyone a tr**p, however your manager's behaviour was the worst I have witnessed from an inter-county manager.  I know the likes of banty might have provoked a reaction from other managers but to act like a corner boy towards a respected manager like  Mickey Harte is simply unacceptable. I hope he had the good sense to apologise afterwards.

emmetryan

This could be of interest here lads, using a tactics board to break down Mark Donnelly's goal from last night http://action81.com/blog/?p=6645
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Mourne Rover

Good luck with your tactics board Emmet, but you included Damien Turley, who went off injured before half time, in your analysis of the second half Tyrone goal.  It is likely that you meant to refer to Eoin Costello.

Fuzzman

Very fair & balanced analysis there WestDownGael. Ithought Stevie had a mixed bag. I watched it again there today on sky+ and there sure was a lot if niggle and plenty bookable challenges. The incident where Joey got his 2nd yellow was strange as the camera was showing Justy pushing the Down physio after he threw away the ball. But in the replay you can see Joey kick out at the Down forward. Presume he had done or said something. Also, Down's goal should have been a free out as the forward jumped up leading with leg and kicked No. 5 in the stomach. Had it been the other way round it would have been a clear penalty. I'd say it's gonna be a very competitive league.

The Real Real Gael

Unfortunately the behaviour of our management team on the sideline has overshadowed some very good performances on the field particularly from the debuts young Mallon and Harrison who could turn into decent options this year. James altercation with Mickey Harte was uncalled for but the man who needs to be kept as far away from that set-up as possibly is the great Jerome, what exactly does he offer our set up except a Kilcoo ignorance and irritability they bring everywhere they go, his behaviour was appalling and I wonder what our county secretary, who would have been sitting very close, thought of it? Tyrone's experience both on the field and off it was the difference. Really think we could get something in Donegal next week as long as we get someone like Moyna on the sideline and get rid of that nonce Johnston and keep Daniel closer to big brother James.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-The Real Real Gael takes no prisoners-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

5 Sams

Quote from: under the bar on February 03, 2013, 07:02:13 PM
I didn't call anyone a tr**p, however your manager's behaviour was the worst I have witnessed from an inter-county manager.  I know the likes of banty might have provoked a reaction from other managers but to act like a corner boy towards a respected manager like  Mickey Harte is simply unacceptable. I hope he had the good sense to apologise afterwards.
Lads...Mickey Harte is totally and utterly respected through out the country. He has endured unbelievable tragedy but does that make him immune or exempt from the normal rough and tumble of county football management and the things that go along with it. I think wee James or anyone else is entitled to square up to him and challenge him about what has happened on the field of play no matter what has happened to him in the past.
The Aristocrat Years

Fuzzman

Yes I was getting a little uncomfortable with all this Mickey is untouchable sort of talk.

Anyone got any ideas what kicked it all off on the sideline? Was it Mickey shouting at the ref?
Down seem to have a lot of big strong young lads in that team now and I got the feeling they were all well up for a physical encounter. Even young Lavery wasn't scared to throw his weight about.

EC Unique

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 03, 2013, 09:11:55 PM
Quote from: under the bar on February 03, 2013, 07:02:13 PM
Lads...Mickey Harte is totally and utterly respected through out the country. He has endured unbelievable tragedy but does that make him immune or exempt from the normal rough and tumble of county football management and the things that go along with it. I think wee James or anyone else is entitled to square up to him and challenge him about what has happened on the field of play no matter what has happened to him in the past.

WTF are you on about. Intercounty Managers getting physically involved is Far from normal. I would say Wee James is a bit embarrassed and ashamed of his lack of behaviour.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Man Marker on February 02, 2013, 11:33:14 PM
Quote from: Beantown on February 02, 2013, 08:55:27 PM
Good win this eve. Clarke and Gormley very good in second half in my opinion.
In fairness the defence tightened up a lot in the second half.

Cassidy was usual joke referee... High tackles go unpunished , yet Sean Cav gets booked for trying to make the Down player get back the required distance for the 45!

Nice start to staying in Div 1.,

The ref gave yellow cards to all high tackles and got the call on King correct before HT . Good win, and we could have been in serious trouble b4 HT with the amount of wides down hit on the trot, on another day we could have been 7down at HT. V good 2 nd half. For the life of me can anyone explain why Mc aliskey was taken off, he was so heavily involved with our best football, and at the stage he was taken off he was influential in the gl and two pts we scored to take the lead, baffled. Big Sean was embarressing, greedy and just played for himself. Talk about favourites Mickey!!

Not sure if your a Tyrone supporter but this was a strange strange comment. Cavanagh has been Tyrone's best player by a clear distance this year so far. His work rate and tracking back has been as good if not better than anyone's. He's also offered a lot going forward. He may have overrun the ball on one or possibly 2 occassions last night but there was little else on at the time. And he certainly wasn't the only Tyrone player to get caught in possession so very strange you picked him out. He will make a huge difference to Tyrone this year.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Forgot to mention, great to see Ronan O'Neill making an appearance too, and looking hale, hearty and fit!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Redhand Santa

Yep great to see Ronan O'Neill back. Hopefully he can stay injury free and deliver on his undoubted talent. Was also good to see Justy getting a full game behind him. I thought after a poor McKenna Cup Clarke made a huge difference coming on last night driving the team forward. Still think we have issues in the full back line and not quite sure how they'll be solved. Surprised Lafferty hasn't got game time in last few matches in the half forward line - had impressed there in a couple of games.

Hard to know where Harte should play. Anything he does is good but would like to see him more involved. Would like to see him get a game or 2 at wing half back.