Kevin Heffernan RIP

Started by heffo, January 25, 2013, 04:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

I'm in the middle of reading Teddy McCarthy's book and was reading last night about his time on the International Rules panel and how Heffo commanded total and utter respect from EVERYONE.

Another legend gone.....RIP Kevin.
The Aristocrat Years

Armamike

What he achieved with Dublin from the early 70s imo is the greatest ever feat in GAA football management. Dublin were a laughing stock for a few years before he took over. Open to correction, but it was basically the same bunch of players from the doldrums of the late 60s/early 70s that went on glory?  RIP.
That's just, like your opinion man.

T Fearon

Wasn't the same bunch of players,it was introducing the youngsters like Moran,Mullins,Drumm and persuading Keaveney to come out of retirement that did the trick.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Fear ón Srath Bán

Only one Heffo, the one and only. RIP
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Led Dublin out of the doldrums into the golden era.

Some player. Some manager. Some sportsman all round.

He had some innings compared to say Paidi etc. But still very a very sad and poignant occasion nonetheless.

If there's a footballing heaven, there'll be some crack now with Paidi and the boys. We're Kerry or Dublin the best ? What about Micko and Heffo ?

RIP.

PS What was with the o on the end of the Heff and Mick names ?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on January 25, 2013, 11:49:16 PM

'tis mainly a Dublin thing. Know what I mean, orangemano?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 25, 2013, 11:57:01 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 25, 2013, 11:49:16 PM

'tis mainly a Dublin thing. Know what I mean, orangemano?  ;)

:)

Yes Srath Bano -

Mick Dwyer was held in high esteem in Dublin to have had Micko bestowed on him.

In Kerry always gets "Mick Dwyer".

Hardy

He was one of the greatest ever figures in the GAA. Brilliant at everything he turned his hand to - playing, coaching, man management as well as reaching the heights in his civilian career and made a huge contribution in each of those parts of life. A legacy his people can be proud of.

Declan

ziggysego

A great figure within the GAA. RIP Kevin.
Testing Accessibility

The Hill is Blue

Wouldn't it be fitting if the Dublin City Council or the Dublin County Board were to erect a statue to Kevin in the vicinity of Croke Park or Parnell Park? Kevin did more for his city and county over the past sixty years than anyone else I can think of.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

armaghniac

A true great of the GAA. While we may scoff at the hype associated with the Dublin-Kerry thing in the 70s it marked an increase in interest in the GAA at a time when it was needed and so Heffernan was influential over the GAA in general.

It would be very appropriate for Dublin GAA to name a stand, an important trophy or mark the man in some significant way.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

red hander

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on January 26, 2013, 05:37:28 PM
Wouldn't it be fitting if the Dublin City Council or the Dublin County Board were to erect a statue to Kevin in the vicinity of Croke Park or Parnell Park? Kevin did more for his city and county over the past sixty years than anyone else I can think of.

+1 a legendary Dub

orangeman

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on January 26, 2013, 05:37:28 PM

If they don't do it for Heffo, who will they do it for ?