Ireland to build 'giant' wind turbines to power UK homes

Started by God14, January 24, 2013, 10:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

This debate has some parallels with the siting of new prisons, refuse dumps, resettlement of sex offenders, town centre by-passes, recycling factorys, travelling people gypsy caravan parks etc etc.

Basically, it is okay but not in my backyard.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Orior on January 25, 2013, 11:05:56 AM
This debate has some parallels with the siting of new prisons, refuse dumps, resettlement of sex offenders, town centre by-passes, recycling factorys, travelling people gypsy caravan parks etc etc.

Good old NIMBYs up there with DINKYs.
#newbridgeornowhere

Mayo4Sam

Programme on TV3 about this topic this evening, had a search and found this thread.

So funny things written here.
Beef is actually much more detrimental to the environment than most exports.
Some taxes will arise from this but the main benefits come from an interconnector paid for by the UK and a royalty/levy from the UK on all electricity sold from these wind farms.

From the TV3 show thought the farmers who lived beside the Lisheen wind farm made interesting comparison to electricity poles
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

rosnarun

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 25, 2013, 11:17:47 AM
Quote from: Orior on January 25, 2013, 11:05:56 AM

Good old NIMBYs up there with DINKYs.

worse still are the NODAMs and BANANAs
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

We all use electricity but don't want the infrastructure to provide it, we all use mobile phones but don't want the masts that make them possible etc etc.
I'll always remember the day the "concerned resident" called to the door wanting me to sign a petition to try and stop a phone mast being erected on a nearby hill. He was half way through his spiel of spin when his phone rang.
I didn't sign his petition nor do I attend any meetings objecting to wind turbines.
And I hope Laythrum gets fracked as well.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

QuoteWe all use electricity but don't want the infrastructure to provide it

England uses electricity, but want us to have the  infrastructure to provide it.

Quotewe all use mobile phones but don't want the masts that make them possible etc etc.

All too true. The average public "representative" is more likely to oppose a mast that try and have 4G brought to the area.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Quote from: Rossfan on November 07, 2013, 11:20:43 AM
We all use electricity but don't want the infrastructure to provide it, we all use mobile phones but don't want the masts that make them possible etc etc.
I'll always remember the day the "concerned resident" calle dot the door wanting me to sign a petition to try and stop a phone mast being erected on a nearby hill. He was half way through his spiel of spin when his phone rang.
I didn't sign his petition nor do I attend any meetings objecting to wind turbines.
And I hope Laythrum gets fracked as well.

My post of the day. In the draw for post of the week on Saturday night after the Lotto.

Jeepers Creepers

You can take our wind but you cant take our freeeeeeeeeeedom!!!!!!!!! oh wait.....

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: armaghniac on November 07, 2013, 11:24:50 AM

England uses electricity, but want us to have the  infrastructure to provide it.

Which we will get hold of after the life of the contract with the UK along with a payment for the power transferred during the contract

God14

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 07, 2013, 01:32:44 PM

Which we will get hold of after the life of the contract with the UK along with a payment for the power transferred during the contract

Why would England not just build the infrastructure themselves on their own land though?

Hardy

Ban them from importing our beef and butter and computers and pharmaceuticals as well. That'll show them.

Rossfan

Quote from: God14 on November 07, 2013, 02:26:53 PM

Why would England not just build the infrastructure themselves on their own land though?
More hot ai wind in this Country as we get the first whack from the Atlantic.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mayo4Sam

They are building 7GW up to 2020 (thats in comparison to 2GW currently installed in Ireland)

johnneycool

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 07, 2013, 02:49:23 PM

They are building 7GW up to 2020 (thats in comparison to 2GW currently installed in Ireland)

Anyone see the huge turbines being built out the airport road in Belfast, they're huge and AFAIK being installed somewhere in the north sea by a wing of Scottish Power.

Farrandeelin

I don't want the pylons going through our land. I fear they could though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.