That Westmeath lad that hates Syferus
Shamrock Shore
The Dinnytron 5000
Ciarrai_thuaidh
Tippabu
Seafoid

INDIANA

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 27, 2014, 12:58:16 PM
Maybe scrap the Sigerson so, does anyone really care about it?

Bar the players I'd say no.

Big problem if you scrap the Sigerson is that players won't get GAA Scholarships anymore as there will be no need for them.

As a result a lot of players will have to retire from Inter county football even younger then they do now because they will have to work to fund their studies like most students

macdanger2

I'd imagine the percentage of players in that bracket is fairly small.

Anyway, plenty of players aren't students but still have time to play & train

Syferus

The vast majority of Sigerson players aren't on scholarships. Nevermind U21 players. College is extremely affordable in Ireland compared to almost any other country in the world with SUSI and fees that are largely paid by the State regardless. We're not talking about big student loans here.

The scholarships are a nice benefit for some of the lucky few who get them but not having them would in no way artifically shorten any player's IC career.

Rossfan

If Indiana is against it - then I'm all for keeping the Hastings Cup competition. ;D He seems to be against everything these days.
Long may Hastings  last.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on December 27, 2014, 02:25:53 PM
The vast majority of Sigerson players aren't on scholarships. Nevermind U21 players. College is extremely affordable in Ireland compared to almost any other country in the world with SUSI and fees that are largely paid by the State regardless. We're not talking about big student loans here.

The scholarships are a nice benefit for some of the lucky few who get them but not having them would in no way artifically shorten any player's IC career.

Completely wrong unfortunately. Are you really going to argue with someone who works in the sector?

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on December 27, 2014, 03:07:28 PM

Completely wrong unfortunately. Are you really going to argue with someone who works in the sector?

Would I be arguing with myself so? I know this stuff pretty well, you can trust me on that. The percentage of Sigerson players getting schloarships for their GAA activities is far lower and far less influential than you've made out. And we haven't even mentioned colleges at Trench Cup level, where even less money hoes into GAA scholarships.

I really don't know how you cope with being an authority in all these different fields, Indy.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on December 27, 2014, 04:10:44 PM

Would I be arguing with myself so? I know this stuff pretty well, you can trust me on that. The percentage of Sigerson players getting schloarships for their GAA activities is far lower and far less influential than you've made out. And we haven't even mentioned colleges at Trench Cup level, where even less money hoes into GAA scholarships.

I really don't know how you cope with being an authority in all these different fields, Indy.

Hundreds of college players get busaries, scholarships and other items paid for at university. Without them they wouldn't be playing inter county football. Employers don't care about having county players anymore if they are training 10-11 times a week. A lot of the scholarships allow players to stay in university a little bit longer then your average student.

There aren't many player at top level who work proper jobs. And that will become less as we continue to run players into the ground.

Its nothing to do with authority Syferus its called the facts something which you're inclined to recreate for yourself.

larryin89

''Hundreds of college players get busaries, scholarships and other items paid for at university. Without them they wouldn't be playing inter county football. Employers don't care about having county players anymore if they are training 10-11 times a week. A lot of the scholarships allow players to stay in university a little bit longer then your average student.

There aren't many player at top level who work proper jobs. And that will become less as we continue to run players into the ground.

Its nothing to do with authority Syferus its called the facts something which you're inclined to recreate for yourself.''

So theyre on the brew then so?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: INDIANA on December 27, 2014, 05:23:57 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 27, 2014, 04:10:44 PM

Hundreds of college players get busaries, scholarships and other items paid for at university. Without them they wouldn't be playing inter county football. Employers don't care about having county players anymore if they are training 10-11 times a week. A lot of the scholarships allow players to stay in university a little bit longer then your average student.

Its nothing to do with authority Syferus its called the facts something which you're inclined to recreate for yourself.
Stop picking on all the county players being teachers. Proper jobs. Ffs

INDIANA

Can we change the title of the thread " now with added everyone except the reigning All Ireland Champions " ?

Itchy

How about a new poll, I'm tired of being no 1.

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on December 30, 2014, 09:15:12 AM
Can we change the title of the thread " now with added everyone except the reigning All Ireland Champions " ?
I thought the point of the competition was to develop the counties that haven't won the all-Ireland recently.
Give them a bit of swagger when they come up against entitlement.

larryin89

Change of venue for the Mayo/westmeath game, tubberclair GAA pitch. Be fucked if im goin now , had my day all mapped out , no respect for us public transport poor .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Mayo Club 51

Venue location here;

U-21 match venue changed tomorrow. Now in Tubberclair GAA ground just outside Athlone. Throw in is still 2 pm. Venue directions here;

http://tubberclairgaa.ie/home/index....d=47&Itemid=55

Itchy

Some half times
Cavan 6 Meath 1
Mayo 3.4 W'Meath 0.2
Ros 6 Kerry 5

Monaghan bet Wicklow by a goal earlier