AZ Offaly
That Westmeath lad that hates Syferus
Shamrock Shore
The Dinnytron 5000
Ciarrai_thuaidh
Tippabu
Seafoid

Rossfan

You could always read your local paper the week before the game Lairrín.
anyway I expect the Ros fixtures to be in Ballyforan v Clare, Garrycastle or Tubberclair v Western Meath and Johnstownbridge v the 4WDlillies.
A few years ago the GAA restricted this tournament as they felt it was getting too big , then they were going to abolish it altogether - now it's taking in every half baked county along with the original Longford/Roscommon.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rodney trotter

Cavan have been for the Hastings Cup for a long time too. No harm to expand it, Tipp are excellent under age. Mayo will be a good addition. Kildare had a good year last year under age.

Syferus

Think it'll become a mess if they start adding all comers. It's like some sort of half-baked AI championship at this stage.

rodney trotter

Cavan beat Leitrim 2-15 to 2pts earlier this year in a group game. The U21 season is short as it is, wrapped up by May. A few more quality teams will benefit all and extra games for all counties. Its still a long gap by the time the Hastings Cup finished and the provincials in Ulster start.

Think 12 should be the max though.

Donnellys Hollow

I remember Kildare winning this years ago. I think Ronan Sweeney was on the team so that's how long it was since we last played in it.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 20, 2013, 01:08:04 PM
The top team from each group along with the best second placed team will qualify for semi-finals.

Five games for those who reach the final TBH i think thats a few too many pre-season games before the really thing. The final would clash with the start of NFL and most of these players will have played plenty of football with their colleges.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

rodney trotter

A  few counties like Cavan and Longford let the u21 players concentrate with the u21 team team until whenever they are finished in the u21 championship. I think its the best way.

ross4life

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 20, 2013, 05:55:13 PM
A  few counties like Cavan and Longford let the u21 players concentrate with the u21 team team until whenever they are finished in the u21 championship. I think its the best way.
Its debatable i know with ourselves we had U21s playing on Saturday then a NFL game on the Sunday. Some Cavan supporters have claimed not using their U21s in recent years has cost them promotion to div 2.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

tommysmith

Quote from: ross4life on November 20, 2013, 06:11:58 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 20, 2013, 05:55:13 PM
Its debatable i know with ourselves we had U21s playing on Saturday then a NFL game on the Sunday. Some Cavan supporters have claimed not using their U21s in recent years has cost them promotion to div 2.

It hasn't helped anyway.

rodney trotter

It might have cost them promotion, but Cavan have been lucky to win 3 Ulster U21 Championship in a row,. Great for those players in the future to have a winning mentality at Senior level. That run might end next year at u21 level, who know's..

Farrandeelin

Time I suppose something was done to stop the rot at U-21 level in Mayo since we last won Connacht 4 years ago. If the Hastings Cup is as successful as it's supposed to be, (at gauging barometers etc) I'm all for it. If, however some counties use it for trial and error purposes, i.e. FBD and the likes then is it a waste of time?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rodney trotter

Wasn't a waste of time for Longford reaching the Leinster u21 final this year, beating Dublin along the way. Teams have to look at players obviously too as its the only way of assembling a panel before the provincials championships

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 20, 2013, 08:24:06 PM
Time I suppose something was done to stop the rot at U-21 level in Mayo since we last won Connacht 4 years ago. If the Hastings Cup is as successful as it's supposed to be, (at gauging barometers etc) I'm all for it. If, however some counties use it for trial and error purposes, i.e. FBD and the likes then is it a waste of time?

The core counties (Ros-Larries and, in recent years, Cavan) have always taken the Hastings Cup seriously and it's played a big role in all three counties' preparations and successes at U21 level. Having so many possible games now will probably lead to more and more experimental line-ups being fielded, though. Ros, Mayo, Longford, Tipp, Kildare, Meath, Westmeath and Cavan sounds like a serious deck of serious teams but we'll see how it plays out.

Imagine Ros-Mayo playing each other in the Hastings a few weeks before the real deal, it would be a masterclass in silly mind-games.

rodney trotter

Its only one extra group game. 2 games and then into the final was too short anyways.
Semi Finals will give it a good edge too. All good preparation for these sides ahead of the provincial championship, as was said its a short enough calendar year for the u21's.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on November 20, 2013, 08:38:33 PM

The core counties (Ros-Larries and, in recent years, Cavan) have always taken the Hastings Cup seriously and it's played a big role in all three counties' preparations and successes at U21 level.
2007 to 2011 we went all out to win it but the last two years not so much, hopefully this competition doesn't become like the FBD.

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 20, 2013, 08:32:17 PM
Wasn't a waste of time for Longford reaching the Leinster u21 final this year, beating Dublin along the way. Teams have to look at players obviously too as its the only way of assembling a panel before the provincials championships

With or without the Hastings i always fancied the Larries to topple the Dubs, they had 11 of 2010 Leinster minor winning team most of those players are overage now. Does other counties not have U21 club championship to assemble a panel?