Most annoying words

Started by seafoid, December 27, 2012, 10:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

Irish people calling St Stephen's Day - boxing day

boojangles

Eamonnca1

People calling Boxing Day St Stephen's Day and questioning the Irishness of anyone who doesn't do it their way.

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 07, 2013, 01:06:55 AM
People calling Boxing Day St Stephen's Day and questioning the Irishness of anyone who doesn't do it their way.
Boxing day is very upstairs downstairs. Even the plebs in England get the 25th off these days .

Hardy

It's another cultural differentiator - we name the day after a saint and they name it after Henry Cooper.

deiseach

I've shrugged off many English things over the years. Football (not a difficult one), Northern Ireland, squaddie worship, Father Christmas, pork scratchings, asking you to say turty tree tousand, fruit machines in pubs, yellow number plates, fear and loathing of the metric system. All just things the English say or do and nothing sinister is meant by it. Heck, I even let it slide when people refer to that settlement on the banks of the Foyle by anything other than its proper name. But Boxing Day? No matter how many times I hear it, I think they're taking the piss. They're not, that's what they call it. But I've never adjusted.

maddog

Quote from: Hardy on January 07, 2013, 12:28:44 PM
It's another cultural differentiator - we name the day after a saint and they name it after Henry Cooper.

Should be just called 2nd Christmas dinner beer and racing day.

Orior

Health Warning: This message contains severe levels of sarcasim which may upset some readers.

Yes it is better to fall in line with what the English do, because they are more knowledgeable and more religious and have more money than the stupid Irish.  And how dare anyone question that.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Nally Stand

Quote from: Orior on January 07, 2013, 12:53:59 PM

Health Warning: This message contains severe levels of sarcasim which may upset some readers.

Yes it is better to fall in line with what the English do, because they are more knowledgeable and more religious and have more money than the stupid Irish.  And how dare anyone question that.

:D
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

brokencrossbar1

Boxing Day is a major one for me as it is directly associated with the days of tugging the forelock when the 'master' gave the 'servant' their Christmas boxes which often contained leftovers from the greedy hoors from their Christmas Day feast. 

highorlow

QuoteIrish people calling St Stephen's Day - boxing day

I don't want to be over fussy but is it not Stephen Zuss Day?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Billys Boots

Quote from: highorlow on January 07, 2013, 03:17:15 PM

Post of the day!  ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Aristo 60

No

sans pessimism

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on January 06, 2013, 10:18:48 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on January 06, 2013, 05:57:27 AM
Just read the thread and have been nodding in agreement with a lot of them.

Can't believe 'random' hasn't been mentioned.

'OMG, what a random night'
'Soooo  random!'

Major gear grinder

Agreed.

Also, I've heard chicks refer to people they've just met as 'Randomers'. f**k sake.
Fukin hate dat
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Orior

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 07, 2013, 03:34:11 PM

Post of the day!  ;D

Only if you know what it means!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians