Author Topic: America`s Gun Culture  (Read 87467 times)

blewuporstuffed

• View Profile
Re: America`s Gun Culture
« Reply #1110 on: February 16, 2018, 03:28:10 PM »
It has to be done in stages. You can't get a seismic shift in gun control passed in the US, so it's pointless trying. Take it step by step. And surely the most obvious first stage is to stop the sale of automatic weapons. There is no reasonable argument for that. You would have to hope that this would have support by enough in the US to get through. If not, then I'm sorry stew, but the collectives calls for stupidity against the US have some grounding.
So remove these weapons first. Then move to review the license process and make it much more strict. As wobbler mentioned, then move to restrict ammunition. Then remove to look at hand guns etc. Peel it back slowly over many years if it has to be. But at least start the process now, don't kick the can down the road anymore.

Exactly.
Its not that  complicated.
Start with banning removing the weapons capable of doing the most damage, the assault rifles.
No one expects this to be done over night, it may take 20 years or more, but at least try!

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

stew

• View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 18, 2018, 01:07:41 PM »
It has to be done in stages. You can't get a seismic shift in gun control passed in the US, so it's pointless trying. Take it step by step. And surely the most obvious first stage is to stop the sale of automatic weapons. There is no reasonable argument for that. You would have to hope that this would have support by enough in the US to get through. If not, then I'm sorry stew, but the collectives calls for stupidity against the US have some grounding.
So remove these weapons first. Then move to review the license process and make it much more strict. As wobbler mentioned, then move to restrict ammunition. Then remove to look at hand guns etc. Peel it back slowly over many years if it has to be. But at least start the process now, don't kick the can down the road anymore.

Exactly.
Start with banning removing the weapons capable of doing the most damage, the assault rifles.
No one expects this to be done over night, it may take 20 years or more, but at least try!

So it is complicated, how can anything so simple take 20 years for just the first step?

I would love to see all of the above acted upon, who of us here wouldnt? That said there are a few fundamental flaws I have to point out.

Stopping the sale of Automatic weapons may, just may be achieveable, due to the NRA it probably wont happen, they have too many bent politicians in their back pockets.

Reviewing the Licensing process is badly needed however I refer you to my first point.

Restricting ammunition is a band aid, it will solve nothing, the ammo will be made underground, sold on and wont be a problem even if by some miracle leglislation was passed on this front.

looking to take their hand guns willbe used by the NRA as a mean to civil disobediance on an unprecedented scale, it will lead to anarchy and chaos, you have to bear in mind, these people grew up with guns, they know guns, they had them in racks in their pick up trucks, shit, three years ago I went up north to Michigan to play golf and not only did the other three have guns with them, but there was a gun rack in the back of the truck, it was weird to me them packing all that heat but they thought I was the irrational one when I mentioned I was uncomfortable with the weaponry, it is a cultural thing in America for Americans, we can never understand it but it does not make them thick, it makes them different, the yanks might be many things but thick they are not on the whole.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 18, 2018, 01:39:16 PM »

Exactly.

Assault weapons get all the headlines but something like 90% of gun murders are committed using handguns.  The biggest problem in my opinion is that every state has its own laws and there is little federal oversight

IL  has very strict gun laws, but next door in IN (which abuts the city of Chicago) the laws are very lax

FFS I read somewhere that in TX you can buy a gun at a yard sale

They should start by rigorously enforcing the laws that are already on the books. Charge gun sellers as accessories if they do not follow protocol

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 25, 2018, 01:24:26 PM »
Resurrecting this thread to share this video from Toronto. Obviously an horrific attack by what seems to be a mentally disturbed young fella with a van. Killed 10 people. Shocking stuff.

This is the arrest, videoed by members of the public. How brave is this cop? Fair play to him.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4165974/toronto-van-attack-ken-lam-father-reacts/

The Iceman

• Here comes the Pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 25, 2018, 02:01:48 PM »
Resurrecting this thread to share this video from Toronto. Obviously an horrific attack by what seems to be a mentally disturbed young fella with a van. Killed 10 people. Shocking stuff.

This is the arrest, videoed by members of the public. How brave is this cop? Fair play to him.

It could very easily have went the other way though AZ? Members of the public in the area. The man just murdered 10 people and he reaches quickly for something (like a gun) and pulls it to a 'drawn' position? The cop would have been completely justified in shooting him. If it had of been a gun there would have been more people dead. The cop was very very lucky it wasn't.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 25, 2018, 02:27:29 PM »
I think I trust the Cop. He obviously saw what was going on.

The Iceman

• Here comes the Pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 25, 2018, 02:50:03 PM »
if he had shot him when he reached for a "weapon" I don't think anyone would be calling for him to be fired though?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 25, 2018, 02:52:32 PM »
if he had shot him when he reached for a "weapon" I don't think anyone would be calling for him to be fired though?

No, they wouldn't. That's what I meant. In many ways he would have been perfectly justified, but he played the situation in front of him, rather than panicking and pulling the trigger.

Jeepers Creepers

• View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 25, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »

Seems to be 2nd atrocity carried out by someone claiming to belong to INCEL. Involuntary Celibate. I kid you not.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/24/toronto-van-attack-facebook-post-may-link-suspect-with-incel-group

omagh_gael

• '03, '05 + '08...not bad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 25, 2018, 04:03:47 PM »

Seems to be 2nd atrocity carried out by someone claiming to belong to INCEL. Involuntary Celibate. I kid you not.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/24/toronto-van-attack-facebook-post-may-link-suspect-with-incel-group

Was totally unaware of this subgroup and subsequently read up on them. Utter madness. Your man from the Santa Barbara shooting spree was also totally off the wall. He lived a very privileged life and was just pissed off that he couldn't hit it off with the popular girls. Mix this with clear mental health issues, easy gun access and you have serious problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2qBBBvYQOA

Minnasion appears to have had significant difficulties in life reading statements from those that knew him. Wouldn't be surprised to hear he had high functioning Autism. He's been described as incredibly gifted although extremely socially awkward and bizarre in some of his behaviour.

That cop has balls the size of bowling balls. He must of knew it wasn't a gun though as he had it drawn before making those fast 'draw' movements. The camera is too far away to tell exactly what it was. 

Gabriel_Hurl

• View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 28, 2018, 08:43:30 PM »
Here we are again

@AP

Report: Multiple people shot at The Capital newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland.

dec

• View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 28, 2018, 10:46:45 PM »
Here we are again

@AP

Report: Multiple people shot at The Capital newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland.

Don't worry, everything is going to be OK. Donald Trump has just tweeted that his thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

Hardy

• View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 29, 2018, 12:41:27 AM »
Wow! That's new. Maybe there's hope.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #1123 on: June 29, 2018, 10:08:03 AM »
Was the shooter from one of those awful Muslim Countries?
2018- 2 Cupeens won, 2 to go.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 29, 2018, 10:27:24 AM »
Was the shooter from one of those awful Muslim Countries?

"They said a white male suspect in his late 30s was taken into custody at the scene of the shooting and was being questioned."

Don't think he shouted Allahu Akbar either.

Thoughts and prayers will suffice this time as there were only 5 killed.