Author Topic: America`s Gun Culture  (Read 85415 times)

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
Re: America`s Gun Culture
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 09:11:23 PM »
I think this maybe is the only topic that everybody on the board are in agreement with!

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »
Seen on twitter:

Q: How many NRA members does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: More guns!
MWWSI 2017

stew

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 09:27:58 PM »
The NRA are a shower of useless hoors, who is going to pay for "armed Personnel" at every school?

Giving teachers guns sums up the NRA, they are like the tobacco companies of the 70's and 80's in that they promote a product that is detrimental to the health of many people and they only care about accumulating more wealth and spreading propaganda to a willing and naive citizenry.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Fionntamhnach

• "Load up on drugs, kill your friends..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 08:56:54 AM »
This is just my opinion, but I reckon that the culture of guns in the United States is not just down to historical stories of the likes of the expansion into the "Wild West", or the believed right in what is interpreted by the 2nd amendment of their constitution, but that it's also a question of vanity. It seems to me that there is tremendous pressure on many people to have the perfect image, the perfect lifestyle, the perfect partner, the perfect body, and most of all the need to be famous. Without them, you're not anything, there's no second prize. A nobody. And what ends up is that in terms of creating an image of yourself to get noticed and famous, one way to sure as heck do it is commit a notorious mass murder or massacre. And the more notorious the better. The massacre in CT, because it involved children of primary school age, takes the notorious meter up a notch or two from the levels seen at Virginia Tech or Columbine. It's dreading to think what might be next for someone unstable to think what might get them infamy - a nursery perhaps?

In the likes of Canada, Scandinavia or Switzerland, guns themselves still hold out as a notable symbol of a personal and social instrument - but in these countries they hold a view of such weapon that is a lot closer to most other Western countries and less to that of much of the USA, in that the likes of guns are treated as weapons of respect, the acknowledgement of their potential lethality, the acceptance that they should generally only be in the hands of those that are trained to properly use them and feel comfortable in handling them, and that there should be a reasonable reason to own one e.g. hunters in Scandinavia and Canada, the militia in Switzerland, armed forces and police across the world and so on. This doesn't mean that certain mass shootings doesn't happen in such places e.g. Dunblane, École Polytechnique, Jokela, Zug etc. but they happen to be far less numerous than what appears to happen in the USA. And when I mentioned about that vanity image in having a gun there, advertisements like the one below don't tend to dispel it.

As I see it, any attempt at gun controls in the USA, regardless of how remote that possibility seems, can only really work in parallel with a significant cultural change at the same time as to how guns are viewed in civil society.
Putting internet gobshítes in their place since 1999

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »
Very good post Fionn.
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2012, 09:40:15 AM »
"I call on congress to ensure there are armed police officers in every school in America when they return after the holidays"

"the NRA will as the pre-eminent trainer in the USA is standing by ready and willing to help with this effort"

the NRA will help with secure design of schools and design of the school shield program, and the former head of the DEA will run the program for the NRA

"if we cherish our kids more than our money, then we must give them the best protection possibly which is properly trained armed personnel in every school"

I am very f**king scared right now

That is so stupid.- All they care about is protecting their cashflow and influence.

I stumbled upon that NRA news briefing on the RTÉ news channel on friday afternoon and thought it was so surreal as to be unbelievable, but it was real.

I'm almost certain they suggested getting armed volunteers to patrol their local schools trained by the  NRA, my good god, unbelievable to anyone outside the states. Then it was suggested that the big bad federal government should pay for an armed police officer for each school,  why not tax the fúck out of gun purchases to compensate the parents affected by these murders?

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »
I see a couple of fire fighters have been shot while attending a fire early this morning, am sure the NRA response will be "If they had been armed".  I see orders for machine guns, bullets etc have went through he roof in the past two weeks. Americans, definitely a strange species.

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2012, 06:23:02 PM »
sorry my mistake, Brownell (bullet manufacturer) confirmed they have sold 3 and 1/2 yrs of magazines in 3 days.

Oraisteach

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 09:21:05 PM »
Number of people killed by guns in US since Newtown Massacre: 303

Ooops, my mistake.  Guns don't kill people, bullets do.

Since I posted about half an hour ago, it's up to 306.

Now 321.  Wonder how high that'll be by New Year's Day.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:04:06 AM by Oraisteach »

ziggysego

• View Profile
    • My Way Access
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2012, 11:26:03 AM »
306!? That's crazy! Where'd you source this? The US truly is a sick nation.
Testing Accessibility

Oraisteach

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 04:33:40 PM »
Ziggy, I read it on Slate.  They've been posting updated tallies.  A fierce number, for sure.  The link is

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2012/12/gun_death_tally_every_american_gun_death_since_newtown_sandy_hook_shooting.html

93-DY-SAM

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 10:31:07 AM »
Surely the fact that this guys mother had guns which didn't stop her son killing her voids any argument the pro-gun lobby have about guns being used to protect people. Didn't do her much good.

More importantly since when has the right to bear arms become more important than the right to life, especially the right to life for a child.

Oraisteach

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »
Gun deaths in US since Newtown shooting is now apparently 393.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 12:34:20 AM »
Surely the fact that this guys mother had guns which didn't stop her son killing her voids any argument the pro-gun lobby have about guns being used to protect people. Didn't do her much good.

More importantly since when has the right to bear arms become more important than the right to life, especially the right to life for a child.

This isn't an argument. If it were there might be some hope.
MWWSI 2017

Oraisteach

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 09:11:43 PM »
According to Slate, the gun death total in the US since the Newtown shooting is now apparently 427.  I am floored by this number, though I would like to know the circumstances of those deaths--suicides, home defenses, robberies, domestic disputes and so on.  Any way you look at it, though, that's an alarming number.  And with the fear that Obama might just enact more stringent gun control legislation, sales of high-powered weaponry is now soaring.  So, Happy New Year with this uplifting 1,000th post on my part.