Author Topic: America`s Gun Culture  (Read 100916 times)

whitey

• View Profile
Re: America`s Gun Culture
« Reply #1260 on: August 09, 2019, 04:58:37 PM »

I知 all for gun regulation and extremely tight regulation at that. I知 in favor of a gun buyback program. I知 in favor of people needing to take out extra homeowners insurance. I知 in favor of taking away guns from domestic abusers, substance abusers and anyone with a criminal record. I知 in favor of upping the age at which people can buy guns. I知 in favor of banning high capacity magazines. I知 in favor abolishing open carry laws. I知 in favor of restricting the storage and use of assault weapons to secure shooting ranges. I知 in favor of background checks that include a trip to the proctologist

What I知 not of favor of is an overblown knee jerk reaction to ban assault weapons that  provides some great talking points to CNN but will prevent less than 1% of gun deaths

With the amount of gun deaths in America surely that less than 1% is still a significant number . . . you'd rather more people died than CNN get something to talk about??!!

Weird!

Actually it痴 not weird at all

The gun debate has a lot of similarities to the debate over abortion

People who are Pro Choice/Abortion don稚 want any restrictions on when you can have an abortion, because that could the beginning of a 都lippery slope of tighter and tighter regulation.

The Pro gun lobby use exactly the same argument...if you ban Automatic weapons (even though they were banned once before) what痴 the next type of gun that will be banned?

The slippery slope argument is probably the best argument the gun lobby have that keeps possible fence sitters on their side. Why would you expend your political capital proposing a solution that would address less than 1% of the problem and at the same time give the NRA a bogeymen-East Coast Liberal Elites-to rally against
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 05:01:56 PM by whitey »

Gmac

• View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 09, 2019, 05:37:15 PM »
Only guns I知 worried about this morning are these 💪💪 nice and quiet at equinox hopefully the snowflakes stay away permanently

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 10, 2019, 10:03:14 AM »

Gmac

• View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 10, 2019, 07:06:23 PM »
Guess who said it: Tucker Carlson or a far-right shooter

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/10/tucker-carlson-fox-news-united-states-race
the author of this piece would make aoc look like a moderate

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 11, 2019, 10:15:13 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/10/tucker-carlson-fox-news-united-states-race

What do you disagree with?

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 11, 2019, 11:36:07 AM »

So do the Democrats get to decide who and what is racist?

In the past month:

I have heard that Nancy Pelosi is racist.......for attempting to silence women of color.

I have heard that Joe Biden is racist.......for opposing busing and working with segregationists

I have heard that Little House on the Prairie was racist

The Apollo Moon Landing was racist

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 11, 2019, 12:23:06 PM »

In the past month:

I have heard that Nancy Pelosi is racist.......for attempting to silence women of color.

I have heard that Joe Biden is racist.......for opposing busing and working with segregationists

What does any of that have to do with my question?

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 11, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »

In the past month:

Who gets to define what is racist and who gets to define who is a white supremacist?  The Guardian, the Democratic Party, AOC?

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 11, 2019, 02:34:47 PM »

In the past month:

Who gets to define what is racist and who gets to define who is a white supremacist?  The Guardian, the Democratic Party, AOC?

It痴 an opinion piece, written to refute Carlson痴 opinion of the same.

If your opinion is different to the writer in question and you want to defend Carlson, have at it, just like Gmac is entitled to do.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 11, 2019, 03:20:40 PM »
That article implies that if you are not for open borders you are both a racist and a white nationalist.

Why is his definition of racism incorrect, while theirs is correct?

鼎arlson may not even notice what he is doing, or realize that he has a 努hite nationalist viewpoint. That痴, in part, because he accepts the definition of racism as 途acial hatred. Instead, we should define it as valuing people of different races differently, and accepting a racial hierarchy of wealth and power as natural. If you care about what happens to white auto workers, but don稚 care about what happens to Guatemalans or Somalis, that痴 racism.

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 11, 2019, 11:42:00 PM »
WARNING: Contains link to the web site of one of those "fake news" generators, CNN 😵

Sales of bulletproof backpacks surged 200% to 300% in the wake of last week's mass shootings, companies say

Instead of letting their children choose a plastic backpack covered in Hello Kitty or Spider-Man, some parents are purchasing bags that double as shields in case kids get caught in gunfire.

Joe Curran founded Bullet Blocker 12 years ago after a shooting at Virginia Tech killed 33 people.

To protect his two school-aged children, the former sheriff's deputy inserted body armor into their backpacks, he said. Classmates' parents asked for inserts for their children's bags, and it grew into a business.

The company's website calls the bulletproof backpack a "consumer favorite." Prices range from $160 to $490. Most are JanSport or High Sierra backpacks retrofitted with ballistic panels sewn into the back. The smallest offering, the "Junior Pack," is suggested for preschoolers.

Sales have increased 200% since the mass shootings last weekend, Curran said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/08/us/bulletproof-backpacks-mass-shootings-trnd/index.html
Fighting against ignorance on the internet since 1999. It's just taking longer than I hoped.

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 12, 2019, 01:28:11 PM »
That article implies that if you are not for open borders you are both a racist and a white nationalist.

Why is his definition of racism incorrect, while theirs is correct?

鼎arlson may not even notice what he is doing, or realize that he has a 努hite nationalist viewpoint. That痴, in part, because he accepts the definition of racism as 途acial hatred. Instead, we should define it as valuing people of different races differently, and accepting a racial hierarchy of wealth and power as natural. If you care about what happens to white auto workers, but don稚 care about what happens to Guatemalans or Somalis, that痴 racism.

Why don't you tell us why the opposite should be the truth?

And I don't see any mention of open borders or the specifics of how immigrants get here, merely the author railing against Carlson's scare mongering about the increasing proportion of minorities in the US.