Author Topic: America`s Gun Culture  (Read 109880 times)

J70

• View Profile
Re: America`s Gun Culture
« Reply #1170 on: August 05, 2019, 04:40:36 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, Ted Cruz and Trump were on about designating Antifa as a terrorist outfit.

Any such murmurings from them on far right types?

Can you imagine the uproar from them if these had been leftist atrocities?

Or heaven forbid, Islamic terrorists who had travelled ten hours across the state to carry out a mass murder?

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: August 05, 2019, 05:06:20 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, Ted Cruz and Trump were on about designating Antifa as a terrorist outfit.

Or heaven forbid, Islamic terrorists who had travelled ten hours across the state to carry out a mass murder?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49240310

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: August 05, 2019, 06:01:45 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49240310

Sorry, but I'm not impressed.

Not a word about restricting access to guns, including military-style weapons, for which there is no sensible justification outside of defense forces unit.

Hollow words about white supremacy and bullshit about the media, but not a word about his own, for political purposes, fomentation of hostility towards minorities and, specifically, the very people targeted in El Paso.

If video games are such a problem (and some may well be unhealthy), why are mass shootings not happening all over the rest of the planet?? I'm pretty sure my kid would probably still have his Nintendo Switch if he lived in Donegal or Canada.

He's proposing some "red flag" solution. Good luck with that the first time someone brings a case to the Supreme Court for being singled out unjustifiably.

Mental health, video games, simple halfwitted bigotry - that shit exists everywhere. Forunately for the rest of the planet, easy access to an arsenal of your own choice from either down the street or across the river in the next state does not exist.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:03:43 PM by J70 »

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 05, 2019, 07:45:24 PM »
You never change stupid, you and the American public in general must be stupid to let this continue every year. I think the top 5 worst shootings in America has happened in the last 3yrs. The right to bear arms seems to be the issue. Let them have all the arms they want, ban the bullets, don't think that's covered by in the 2nd amendment.

gawa316

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: August 05, 2019, 09:26:20 PM »
My facebook feed is full of 'There's only one way to stop a bad guy with a gun, and that's a good guy with a gun' crap, and these are of parents my kids go to school with...

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: August 05, 2019, 09:29:14 PM »
« No matter how well written or delivered a speech cannot divert whole societies from a well established course of action. Policies in motion tend to stay in motion ; to change the trajectory of a deeply embedded set of initiatives requires the application of political forces of equal motion »

Steve Walt

https://youtu.be/wbii77EPHgg

Shannon Watts

@shannonrwatts
·
4h

BREAKING: Chris Cox, the heir apparent to
@NRA
 CEO Wayne LaPierre and chief architect of the gun lobby's insidious state strategy to loosen gun laws, has resigned after nearly 20 years with the organization.

Shannon Watts

@shannonrwatts
 · 3h
BREAKING: Both NRATV and ‪@NRA‬ spokeswoman Dana Loesch are over.

“While the ‪@NRA‬ may continue to air past content, its live broadcasting has ended and its on-air personalities — including Dana Loesch — will no longer be the public faces of the NRA.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/us/nra-nratv-ackerman-mcqueen.html)

Lookit

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: August 05, 2019, 09:32:11 PM »
I didn't even realise nratv was a thing. What is wrong with these people.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: August 05, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »
The gun homicide rate in the US is 73 times higher than that in the UK, and 111 times higher than that of Japan.

I'm pretty sure these places have video games.

But Trump says video games are the problem.

I think it might just be the guns that are the problem.

And of course his openly racist rhetoric.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: August 05, 2019, 09:45:50 PM »
The gun homicide rate in the US is 73 times higher than that in the UK, and 111 times higher than that of Japan.

I'm pretty sure these places have video games.

But Trump says video games are the problem.

I think it might just be the guns that are the problem.

And of course his openly racist rhetoric.
m

We’ve hashed and rehashed this 1,000,000 times

The numbers you quote are nonsense. As a white male living in Massachusetts the gun homicide rate is a fraction of what you put up. In fact, the town I grew up in Ireland has had more murders than the town I currently reside in......and the town I currently reside in probably has 2000 people with valid gun permits

https://everytownresearch.org/gun-violence-america/

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: August 05, 2019, 09:46:43 PM »
My facebook feed is full of 'There's only one way to stop a bad guy with a gun, and that's a good guy with a gun' crap, and these are of parents my kids go to school with...
Given that the incident which claimed 22 lives happened in a Walmart in Texas, it's almost certain that at least some people in the vicinity were loaded with open carry or concealed carry. Since the shooter was arrested and seemingly unharmed, this idea of "good guy with a gun" was, without trying to sound blasé, a major fail.
"Grey will never go out of fashion! Because it's never been in fashion!"

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: August 05, 2019, 09:56:25 PM »
Given that the incident which claimed 22 lives happened in a Walmart in Texas, it's almost certain that at least some people in the vicinity were loaded with open carry or concealed carry. Since the shooter was arrested and seemingly unharmed, this idea of "good guy with a gun" was, without trying to sound blasé, a major fail.

The Walmart was specifically targeted due to its demographics-ie immigrants. They would be much, much less likely to be carrying  than a Budweiser drinking, pick up driving “local”. But I completely agree with you, the good guy with a gun argument is pure nonsense

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: August 05, 2019, 10:30:39 PM »
I’ve said it a few times before but don’t expect any changes. If grown adults that have been elected into office did not do anything after Sandy Hook where 26 people were kill, 20 of them children either 6 or 7 years old, then nothing will be done by there people.
I’ve contemplated leaving this country multiple times as the shootings become more frequent and all the closer. The Gilroy shooting last week was 30mins from me and a festival I’ve brought my wife and kids to in the past.

I'm sure I mentioned it in this threat at some point in the past, but adverts like these don't help in developing an attitude towards having respect for guns and similar weapons.

I concur that if Sandy Hook didn't to anything to wake up the USA on its gun laws, then probably nothing will. However there are two things that might stand at least a glimmer of a chance.

1. This is going to sound a little bit "wrong", but I'd try and twist those "man card" ads by starting a campaign to make holding guns look as camp and effeminate as possible. For example have Richard Simmons have a big, terrifying grin on his face while holding an AR-15, have two young ripped gay male models with one groping the other who's holding a hand gun and looking at it as if it was a phallic. Then top it all off by having a topless Amy Schumer with a pistol half covered by the front of her knickers! Send up this sense of "American masculinity" and you just might stop a few men and boys thinking that they need their own personal aumory to be a "man".

2. Form a group encouraging American Muslims to train & arm themselves with high power weaponry. Say start with Facebook to promote, talk about your 2nd Amendment rights as given by Allah protecting your 1st Amendment rights. Have people that "look" Islamic holding a semi-automatic in front of the stars & stripes in one hand, and in the other a copy of the Koran and a US passport. Ratchet up the Facebook likes and other social media content, talk about holding legal rallies (legal within the state the rally is planned) etc. and then watch the likes of the NRA and GOA starting to sweat.

Basically, the road of using empirical evidence and logic doesn't work when you're dealing with a closed group, so some what unfortunately possibly the only way to tackle it is to make guns look less manly and less white American. Because until something happens that can somehow top the Sandy Hook shooting (maybe a mass murder of federal politicians on both sides) then it's the only thing I can think of.

It might also be worth the likes of the Irish DFA, along with foreign ministries in other western countries, to start issuing travel advisories to its citizens visiting, living or working in the USA about the elevated risk of being caught in such mass-shooting incidents.
"Grey will never go out of fashion! Because it's never been in fashion!"

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: August 05, 2019, 11:07:16 PM »

Apparently there were a few gun carriers in Walmart.

One said he didn’t engage because he was afraid the cops would think HE was a shooter.

gawa316

• View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: August 05, 2019, 11:30:26 PM »

Apparently there were a few gun carriers in Walmart.

One said he didn’t engage because he was afraid the cops would think HE was a shooter.

It just sounds all a bit wild west to me, but then I never grew up here or had the 2nd amendment drilled into me

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 05, 2019, 11:39:55 PM »
Well at this rate it’s better to just let it carry on as is. No amount of prayers or condolences will help, the sooner they wipe themselves out the better. 
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)