Sigerson/Fitzgibbon draws 2013

Started by theticklemister, December 12, 2012, 07:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: heffo on February 23, 2013, 05:40:54 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 23, 2013, 04:52:15 PM
Carlow's Brendan Murphy is the best midfielder in the country.

Tis no wonder so that he was being courted so furtively by a county thats often in the media.

It would have never worked out. He would have been another Garvan Ware.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

scoopmine

I'm not sure if Darren O Sullivan was in college before this he was in Ulster Bank for years. He is some addition to any college team.

Itchy

Quote from: scoopmine on February 23, 2013, 06:02:36 PM
I'm not sure if Darren O Sullivan was in college before this he was in Ulster Bank for years. He is some addition to any college team.

I didn't think he stood out today, wondered was he carrying an injury

scoopmine

He went yday with cramp but I thought he was on a lot of ball and just laid it off kept it simple. Givney my MOTM also number 6 Nick Devereux think he is on the Dublin panel made a couple of great interceptions.

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on February 23, 2013, 05:32:43 PM
O'Shea was the best midfielder on show yesterday but not today Givney was. Even at minor level AOS stood out but it's still unknown what his best position is. Jason Doherty without a doubt was DIT best forward in Sigerson can he keep his good form going? i thought todays final was going to be a closer game though DIT strong defence & well taken goals made sure it wasn't.

Not many teams have won the league & Sigerson double. Well done to DIT on a fine achievement.

It's very clear now that midfield is O'Shea's best position. I think the only reason you'd ever move him back to full-forward would be in desperation because you have no big target man to lay the ball up to. Mayo don't have that sort of player at all so it's doubly telling what his best position is - he'd be in there right now if it wasn't because Mayo have no shortage of good midfielders.

ck

A feature of his years Sigerson is the high number of 'older' players playing. There would have been a time when Sigerson players were 19-21. 22 would have been old. Now you have lads touring the colleges and boys out working heading back to college (recession probably contributing factor) So no wonder GAA brought in a rule to make sure they can only do two courses. IMO they should also have a rule that all players are 23 or under along with the two course rule. This would mean the dcu's of his world are forced to invest in younger players instead of players who have already made it.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ck on February 23, 2013, 11:04:17 PM
A feature of his years Sigerson is the high number of 'older' players playing. There would have been a time when Sigerson players were 19-21. 22 would have been old. Now you have lads touring the colleges and boys out working heading back to college (recession probably contributing factor) So no wonder GAA brought in a rule to make sure they can only do two courses. IMO they should also have a rule that all players are 23 or under along with the two course rule. This would mean the dcu's of his world are forced to invest in younger players instead of players who have already made it.
When was that time?

Itchy

Sure how many years was Jim Mcguinness in college. Its been like this for a long time.

ck

Disagree. I played in early 90's and it was the exception rather than the rule. McGuinness was an exception as he floated from college to college in his late 20's early 30's. Today every college team (at least all the big Dublin ones) has a few Jim McGuinness types. Also what you also have today are scholarships which entice older lads back to college.

rodney trotter

Quote from: ck on February 24, 2013, 12:40:39 AM
Disagree. I played in early 90's and it was the exception rather than the rule. McGuinness was an exception as he floated from college to college in his late 20's early 30's. Today every college team (at least all the big Dublin ones) has a few Jim McGuinness types. Also what you also have today are scholarships which entice older lads back to college.

He didn't float,  he studied Sports Recreation in Tralee and got a Diploma and then studied for a Masters in UUJ,  then studied Sports Psychology in John Moores Liverpool. He was progressing on each time, not dropping out and changing courses.

Hence why he is now working with Celtic with his qualifications...

rodney trotter

Forget to add, he never did his Leaving Cert. Left school at 16, returnted at 25 and sat his Leaving Cert and then went on to Tralee - more to the reason why he was Playing Sigerson late 20's

Aaron Boone

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 24, 2013, 01:04:28 AM
Forget to add, he never did his Leaving Cert. Left school at 16, returnted at 25 and sat his Leaving Cert and then went on to Tralee - more to the reason why he was Playing Sigerson late 20's

This McGuinness lad will go far.

muppet

Quote from: ck on February 23, 2013, 11:04:17 PM

I agree. Otherwise why not let Darran O'Sullivan repeat the Leaving Cert and play Hogan Cup?
MWWSI 2017

cadence

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 24, 2013, 01:04:28 AM

most mature students leave school young without taking their leaving or a levels. not the conventional route, but then they're not going to be the conventional type of student either. you get a student with a bit of life knowledge, skills and experiences that other students from the conventional path just don't have. + conventional students are shite at shovelling muck. who'd have them around the house?

emmetryan

Hi lads,

Tactical analysis of yesterday's game up here for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=6776

Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com