2011 Census

Started by Harold Disgracey, December 11, 2012, 09:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: Ulick on December 11, 2012, 12:03:56 PM
Quote from: AQMP on December 11, 2012, 11:40:45 AM
I've always held the view that a border referendum is a pointless waste of time and money.  Now based on these figures with just over half of Catholics seeing themselves as "Irish Only" it does not change my opinion.

The border poll forces the two governments to detail what a United Ireland would look like - that is needed before anyone can seriously consider the idea. It will also force unionists to debate the merits of a United Ireland instead of resorting the facetious. It's quite possible a United Ireland could fully encompass a regional 'Northern Ireland' - we don't know until the date is set and the debate begins. One thing we do know is there will not be an option for an independent 'Northern Ireland' so those who marked themselves down as that in the census (mostly Catholics) will have to choose.

Would the Unionists not resort to the tried and tested "you're financially better off in the Union" (whether this is true or not).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on December 11, 2012, 12:15:07 PM
I've always held the view that a border referendum is a pointless waste of time and money.  Now based on these figures with just over half of Catholics seeing themselves as "Irish Only" it does not change my opinion.

The border poll forces the two governments to detail what a United Ireland would look like - that is needed before anyone can seriously consider the idea. It will also force unionists to debate the merits of a United Ireland instead of resorting the facetious. It's quite possible a United Ireland could fully encompass a regional 'Northern Ireland' - we don't know until the date is set and the debate begins. One thing we do know is there will not be an option for an independent 'Northern Ireland' so those who marked themselves down as that in the census (mostly Catholics) will have to choose.

Would the Unionists not resort to the tried and tested "you're financially better off in the Union" (whether this is true or not).

How many jobs in NI depend on government backing, would this be a reason for people to opt out?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cold tea

Quote from: Ulick on December 11, 2012, 10:20:29 AM
Some selected administrative areas:

Antrim: (C)41.20   (P)50.48   (Other)0.93   (None) 7.39
Armagh: (C)48.36   (P)48.00   (Other)0.60   (None) 3.03
Banbridge: (C)32.02   (P)62.02   (Other)0.75   (None) 5.21
Belfast: (C) 48.58%      (P)42.30%   (Other) 1.72   (None) 7.40
Cookstown: (C)59.26   (P)37.78   (Other)0.48   (None) 2.49
Craigavon: (C)45.94%   (P)48.04%   (Other)0.91   (None) 5.11
Dungannon: (C)64.11   (P)33.03   (Other)0.56   (None) 2.30
Lisburn: (C)36.46   (P)55.92   (Other)0.84   (None) 6.78

Is the P for Dungannon Polish?

Tony Baloney

[/b]

Is there anything to suggest otherwise at the minute. Look below the border and it looks like an easy argument for unionists with the NHS, billions in free money via the block grant etc. with no requirement to pay our way economically. Strip away the political, religious and cultural elements of a referendum and the interesting part is financially what does the 32-county Ireland look like? More and more this is an important aspect of any vote.

Cold tea

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2012, 12:28:22 PM

How many jobs in NI depend on government backing, would this be a reason for people to opt out?

About 33,000 - I work in the private sector, within one of the government buildings - boy do they earn their money, they have a rota for half day christmas shopping on the go!!

LeoMc

?

seafoid

Page 18 - less than 1% can speak, read and write Ulster Scots
Rioting  Ulster Scots seems to be better covered.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

At first and after all that has happened in this part of the world I found the "Northern Irish Only" answer odd. But Is this an acceptance after 90 odd years of partition that this is really how things will end up and that we might as well accept it. The power and  influence of media in the north does seem to have a large affect on people's psyche.  I myself feel Irish only and have been born and bred in Derry but I have always been surrounded by all aspects of Irish culture from a very early age, it is easy then to forget that this is not the case for many northern catholics. I wouldnt read into the passport thing much, thats more to do with handiness and maybe cost, but I suppose if people arent prepared to pay a few extra quid for Irish passport they are not going to vote to give up UK handouts.

AQMP

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 11, 2012, 01:06:52 PM
At first and after all that has happened in this part of the world I found the "Northern Irish Only" answer odd. But Is this an acceptance after 90 odd years of partition that this is really how things will end up and that we might as well accept it. The power and  influence of media in the north does seem to have a large affect on people's psyche.  I myself feel Irish only and have been born and bred in Derry but I have always been surrounded by all aspects of Irish culture from a very early age, it is easy then to forget that this is not the case for many northern catholics. I wouldnt read into the passport thing much, thats more to do with handiness and maybe cost, but I suppose if people arent prepared to pay a few extra quid for Irish passport they are not going to vote to give up UK handouts.

Is an Irish passport not slighlty cheaper at the minute?  €88.50 using Passport Express (aaprox £70) against £72.50 for a British??

Edit:  If you go to the Irish Embassy in London it's £70.  EG told me ;)

LeoMc

Quote from: AQMP on December 11, 2012, 01:17:31 PM

Is an Irish passport not slighlty cheaper at the minute?  €88.50 using Passport Express (aaprox £70) against £72.50 for a British??

Irish Childrens passports are cheaper. €35 for a 3 year against £60 for a 5 year.

trasna man

Quote from: LeoMc on December 11, 2012, 01:24:43 PM
Quote from: AQMP on December 11, 2012, 01:17:31 PM

Irish Childrens passports are cheaper. €35 for a 3 year against £60 for a 5 year.
A few young lads from here got Brit passports to go to America told me no need for a visa but they might have made it up to stop the piss been taken

laoislad

Should the thread title not say 2011 Northern Ireland Census.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on December 11, 2012, 02:01:25 PM
Should the thread title not say 2011 Northern Ireland Census.

Aye right enough, do the South get a vote to decide they want us?? Ha would be wile funny if the North voted for a United Ireland and they (again) fooked us over lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

I think I chose "Irish" and "Northern Irish".

I grew up watching gaelic football, learning the Irish language in school, doing Irish dancing on a Saturday and watching RTE news at 9pm after Glenroe on a Sunday evening.  If I have kids in the future, I'll bring them up the same way (apart from the sad demise of Glenroe, god rest it).  And I'd vote for a United Ireland if it could be done peacefully in my lifetime.

But I also listen to Radio Ulster in the morning, I think (and spend!) in £stg and I enjoyed my last trip to Ravenhill to watch Ulster.  I don't rush across the border to buy Irish Tayto crisps because I prefer the good Tandragee ones - same goes for Cadbury's chocolate. 

These types of things set me apart from people from, say Cork or Dublin, but in no way do they challenge/threaten my affinity with "pure" irish culture.  I tried to answer the census questions honestly, not for any political purpose.  I even think I said I understood Ulster Scots, because let's face it, most of us do. 

stibhan

Quote from: Rois on December 11, 2012, 02:08:26 PM
I think I chose "Irish" and "Northern Irish".

But I also listen to Radio Ulster in the morning, I think (and spend!) in £stg and I enjoyed my last trip to Ravenhill to watch Ulster.  I don't rush across the border to buy Irish Tayto crisps because I prefer the good Tandragee ones - same goes for Cadbury's chocolate. 

All of these things are Irish, and the attempt to ringfence any kind of 'Northern' identity to them is false. Ravenhill after all is the homeground of a 9 county Ulster rugby team.