Belfast rioting over removal of Union Jack

Started by Maurice Moss, December 04, 2012, 02:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: johnneycool on January 17, 2013, 10:01:01 AM
Please tell me this is on iplayer as seemed to have missed a ball.

What was Joseph Brolly on for?

I think he was on to talk about either the kidney donation or the gradual erosion of his Britishness

Hardy

By the way, I thought the BBC had some sort of charter requiring it to attempt to provide balance in audience-participation shows. What's the story there, does anybody know?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Hardy on January 17, 2013, 09:33:35 AM
Christ help us if what we saw last night is indicative of the political leadership available to the people of the North. You know you're in trouble when Gerry Kelly is the voice of moderation, reason and compromise in any gathering.

Is he usually a sectarian bigot or something?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

AQMP

Quote from: Hardy on January 17, 2013, 10:14:29 AM
By the way, I thought the BBC had some sort of charter requiring it to attempt to provide balance in audience-participation shows. What's the story there, does anybody know?

Interesting point.  I know for programmes like "Question Time" there is a requirement to have a "balanced" audience.  QT was rapped over the knuckles for the audience make up after 9/11.  From what I've read here it's clear most of the audience were unbalanced.

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

fitzroyalty

The Nolan Show may be different, but I have been part of a BBC NI audience for a pre-recorded show before. All I did was apply (free) for tickets on the website and they supposedly choose randomly who gets them. My assumption is that since this fiasco kicked off in December that a lot of Loyalists have been applying to be on the show thus the imbalanced crowd.

ziggysego

I know as a Catholic, I would dream of attending as an audience member last night. They would have directed a load of sectarian abuse in my direction and no doubt that people living in interface areas of Belfast would have been too scared for their own safety.
Testing Accessibility

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Was comical and depressing at the same time last night. the sheer degree of hatred being spilled out by Bryson and his friends will never go away.

The political parties over here have always had their own views the Shinners and SDLP have never changed their views on what they want, a united Ireland. DUP and UUP to stay British. Alliance a shared future. So why do we have these numpties coming on complaining that one group seem to be getting more than others?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Its clear that she is playing a major part in the protests.....likely she is the soley responsible for blocking the traffic of an evening.

No Soloing

The working class loyalist might not have much but one thing they seem to have plenty of is cake. I now know how they can block the roads so easily - put a couple of those dolls in it and it would take a bulldozer to shift them. It cant be often Nolan isnt even in the top 10 fattest people in the room.

They have now blamed Alliance, SF, SDLP, DUP, UUP, PSNI, BBC, RTE, HET and now they seem to be moving on to the GAA.
Whose next BMW? HSBC? YMCA?
Unfortunately what was said last night and this morning was basically the same as pre-Christmas. Their argument (or lack of) hasnt moved on one bit. Jim Wilson shouting at Conal McDevitt to 'remember where you live' sums up their attitude

Hardy

Quote from: No Soloing on January 17, 2013, 10:49:56 AM
They have now blamed Alliance, SF, SDLP, DUP, UUP, PSNI, BBC, RTE, HET and now they seem to be moving on to the GAA.
Whose next BMW? HSBC? YMCA?

BED?

(Look it up)

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2013, 10:46:34 AM
Was comical and depressing at the same time last night. the sheer degree of hatred being spilled out by Bryson and his friends will never go away.

The political parties over here have always had their own views the Shinners and SDLP have never changed their views on what they want, a united Ireland. DUP and UUP to stay British. Alliance a shared future. So why do we have these numpties coming on complaining that one group seem to be getting more than others?

Simply because they don't want Equality.

They have been left behind in Education stakes and therefore employment opportunities.
Parades are now on the basis of discussion with local people - that doesnt suit.
Policing is now 'fairer' - they dont have the cops feeding them information on Catholic/nationalist targets.
Their own politicians deserted them, except at times when they need a baying rabble.
They dont know what their own culture is, one minute it is our wee country hate the english, next it is god save the queen and the jubilee.
They dont see a future for their kind, they know that eventually they will have to live with people who are not loyalist thugs and bullies, this for them is the death throws of their very existence.