Belfast rioting over removal of Union Jack

Started by Maurice Moss, December 04, 2012, 02:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 14, 2013, 12:40:02 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on January 13, 2013, 09:53:46 PM
i read in the sunday world that poor wullie got his marching orders.. it seems the local uvf are not willing to share the limelight or the money with our wee wullie. hes gonna play with the cat til she scrabs him..

Was wondering where he had disappeared to...

I just figured he was shutout after making a cod of himself on the radio prank call.
Testing Accessibility

AQMP

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on January 14, 2013, 01:18:12 PM
I am unfamiliar with the geography of Belfast but why on in the name of sanity are the PSNI funnelling Flag protestorspast Nationalist areas. Is this the only viable option or are they badly organising the repatriation of Loyalists from the City Centre?

It's tradition MGHU.  Go to the City Hall, shout "We Are The People", convince yourself you still own the place, then attack some Taigs on the way to the local drinking den.  It's a vital expression of culture.

NAG1

Quote from: AQMP on January 14, 2013, 02:34:23 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on January 14, 2013, 01:18:12 PM
I am unfamiliar with the geography of Belfast but why on in the name of sanity are the PSNI funnelling Flag protestorspast Nationalist areas. Is this the only viable option or are they badly organising the repatriation of Loyalists from the City Centre?

It's tradition MGHU.  Go to the City Hall, shout "We Are The People", convince yourself you still own the place, then attack some Taigs on the way to the local drinking den.  It's a vital expression of culture.

There will be grants for it in the near future just wait and see  ;D

Bensars

AZOffaly

The Dub Shops? You can buy Dubs up there? Who'd want one of them?

Goldengreen

Looks like they are making a family event on the 21st and 25th with a game of Statues(Operation Standstill), haven't played that in a long long time, I might join in on that one,  as it Province Wide there must be one going on up here in Donegal too, maybe they are looking to get it into the Guinness Book of Records for the most people playing Statues at the same time.

T Fearon

I take it staff at Alliance Party offices on Newtownards Road,are staggering their hours and finishing at 3.25pm every day?

EC Unique

Operation standstill has been a bit of a failure so far. Ballygawley roundabout has been mentioned a few times but no stoppage yet.

They really don't have the support in numbers like back in 96 with Drumcree.

The pathetic bunch of losers need to get used to the fact that this small state has changed and will continue to do so.

NAG1

Quote from: EC Unique on January 14, 2013, 03:46:22 PM
Operation standstill has been a bit of a failure so far. Ballygawley roundabout has been mentioned a few times but no stoppage yet.

They really don't have the support in numbers like back in 96 with Drumcree.

The pathetic bunch of losers need to get used to the fact that this small state has changed and will continue to do so.

Is it scheduled at 3.30pm so the school kids can join the protests?

heganboy

Quote from: armaghniac on January 11, 2013, 09:12:27 PM
QuoteNot sure what "publicity will kill of NI" means,

you said that "People are very sensitive to any escalation of news". I am agreeing with the proposition that unfavourable publicity will reduce NIs chances. Is this really so hard to understand?

Quotenor what you mean by "international investment of the blue sky variety" nor which people are closer to problem than others

Businesses already in Ireland may have a better grasp of local geography than ones in China. Once again, is this really so hard to understand?

Is it hard to understand that your entire proposition is not possible to implement without the support of the government, in this case the Stormont executive? And whilst that may be possible- it is entirely unlikely.

Restating your irrelevant remarks whether you think they are intelligent or coherent or correct will not make your initial proposition any more likely, or any less wrong...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

armaghniac

QuoteRestating your irrelevant remarks whether you think they are intelligent or coherent or correct will not make your initial proposition any more likely, or any less wrong...

My original proposition that towns or districts promote themselves was neither wrong nor irrelevant, positive engagement by localities is a feature throughout the world. In response, you can say that doing this would be ineffective in NI and it should have been possible for you to do this without reference to intelligence or implication that what I said was incomprehensible.

In fact, Stormont are likely to promote economic development, like other public initiatives some places will make more of these policies than others.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

heganboy

Sorry for my tetchy comments, I apologise for the intelligence dig- absolutely uncalled for. Over the last 10 years I have had to deal with folk making the assumption that "we've never had any bother in Fermanagh" which obviously makes it a viable destination for a new 400 person R&D project, and I will just get pissed whenever I have to explain it again.

That being said:

Quote from: armaghniac on January 14, 2013, 05:46:49 PM

My original proposition that towns or districts promote themselves was neither wrong nor irrelevant, positive engagement by localities is a feature throughout the world.

Your original proposition is below and bears very little semblance to the morphed position above

Quote from: armaghniac on January 11, 2013, 03:15:17 PM
QuoteTime for Nationalist areas to start seeking investment promoting the line "no bother in our areas".

Absolutely. Nationalist areas should promote themselves as good places to do business, with good schools and positive forward looking people. Since political progression is going to be away from unionism, places like Newry and Derry can move seamlessly to new arrangements in a pro-business United Ireland.

The only problem is that most nationalist "leaders" have neither the wit to realise this, nor the credibility to bring it about. :(

Quote from: armaghniac on January 14, 2013, 05:46:49 PM
In response, you can say that doing this would be ineffective in NI and it should have been possible for you to do this without reference to intelligence or implication that what I said was incomprehensible.

The outside investment is a bet on the jurisdiction & state (country) first and foremost, the actual location of the investment will be based on the attractiveness of the venue to the target labour pool combined with its attractiveness to the investing body and its accessibility to other offices. In other words, airports, hotels, restaurants, universities. In very real terms that means Belfast city centre.

So, let me try again,  without any insult to your intelligence or anything else, your original point, (without the irrelevant remarks like
Quote from: armaghniac on January 14, 2013, 05:46:49 PMIn fact, Stormont are likely to promote economic development, like other public initiatives some places will make more of these policies than others.
) that nationalist areas go it alone and get inward investment is a good way for someone to spend money to try and achieve an unattainable goal.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

armaghniac

QuoteAbsolutely. Nationalist areas should promote themselves as good places to do business, with good schools and positive forward looking people.

Part of the problem is that I didn't originally mention inward investment, as I largely accept your proposition that outside investment is a bet on the jurisdiction & state (country) first and foremost. For many years turmoil in nationalist areas could have pushed business to move by away with blocked roads and the like, they should now try to be as encouraging local enterprise as possible.

QuoteOver the last 10 years I have had to deal with folk making the assumption that "we've never had any bother in Fermanagh" which obviously makes it a viable destination for a new 400 person R&D project,

At the risk of aggravating a whole different set of people, the tragedy of the demise of Quinn is all the greater as it is so hard to get economic activity going in Fermanagh, Cavan, Leitrim etc. Newry or Derry may get something, but further west will have difficulties in any political set up.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Oh dear!

Tonight on University Challenge, Jeremy Paxman just described Peter Robinson as Ian Paisley's bag carrier.

Expect the easily upset and most oppressed people in the world to flood the BBC with complaints.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Ulick

Just when you think they can't sink any lower, this evening there were petrol bomb attacks on St Matthew's and pensioners bungalows in the Short Strand. A special needs group were using the parish hall next to the chapel the time of the attack.