Previous topic - Next topic

fingerbob

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 09, 2012, 12:08:31 AM
Quote from: fingerbob on December 08, 2012, 10:50:14 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on December 08, 2012, 10:48:57 PM
Quote from: fingerbob on December 08, 2012, 10:05:09 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on December 08, 2012, 08:33:09 PM
Quote from: fingerbob on December 08, 2012, 07:41:49 PM
We're not as Irish as Cork and we're not as British as Finchley.
What rubbish. Both Ireland and the UK are diverse places. There's no single template for being Irish or British.

I didn't say they weren't. I'm specifically talking about the identity of the population of the north, which usually gets divided into British/Unionist and Irish/Nationalist and that there is a lot more to it than that. We share a lot more than we differ on. I'm fully aware that you can get a range of sub identities within the two and didn't think I'd need to explain that.
You said we're "not as Irish as Cork". That's rubbish. What makes Cork more Irish?

It was just an example.
I could have picked any place. If you want to be that particular, go on ahead.
You could pick any place in Ireland and it still wouldn't make sense.

To be honest, I don't even know what your point is. I was just using it as another side to the phrase 'as British as Finchley' and thought that was obvious.

Minder

It might be a bit far fetched but I wonder is the recent disturbances linked to reports that the current tranche of EU Peace funding, due to end in 2013, for our local "community workers" won't be renewed.

Loyalists are orchestrating it, the same boys that will receive the funding.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Last Man

Quote from: Minder on December 09, 2012, 11:23:42 AM
It might be a bit far fetched but I wonder is the recent disturbances linked to reports that the current tranche of EU Peace funding, due to end in 2013, for our local "community workers" won't be renewed.

Loyalists are orchestrating it, the same boys that will receive the funding.
Heard that a few weeks ago Minder but didnt make the connection, you're on to something there.

Square Ball

I see two 13 year olds and a 14 y.o were lifted yesterday for rioting, we know whos fault that was.

Quote from: maggie on December 08, 2012, 11:54:33 PM

PUP ? @OfficialPUP

The blame for all of what has happened across NI this week is firmly at the feet of the IRA.

At least we know whose fault it is now.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Why don't they just fly a flag with this on it?

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

give her dixie

Quote from: Gaffer on December 09, 2012, 09:42:46 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on December 09, 2012, 03:37:00 AM
Quote from: give her dixie on December 08, 2012, 11:21:01 PM
Coalisland Crowd Storm Brackaville Demanding Removal Of Flag

http://tyronetribulations.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/coalisland-crowd-storm-brackaville-demanding-removal-of-flag/

Inspired by the goings on at the City Hall in Belfast earlier in the week, a group calling themselves the Coalisland Restoration Appreciation Party (CRAP) have stormed the Brackaville Social Club tonight, demanding that the Brackaville Owen Roes flag hanging from the guttering is removed before Monday morning or they 'take her down' themselves. CRAP spokesman, Jab Herron, claimed they were willing to tolerate the flying of the flag in the midst of the local club's failed assault on the Ulster title but now that it was at an end, there was no reason to keep it up.

"It's bloody ridiculous. Brackaville is really the outskirts of Coalisland. We call it inner-city Coalisland where the shanty town type families scrape together a living by doing odd jobs like collecting golf balls. Now and again we do tours out to Brackaville for the Primate Dixon ones to show them what happens if you don't do your sums and learn the english. Recently, we discovered that a few Brackaville residents were making forays into Coalisland under the cover of darkness. They were probably drinking the slops in bars or hanging around the back of Landi's for scraps. We need to be vigilant about that. However, this flag flying craic must stop. Sometimes we have to travel through Brackaville to get to other places. We don't need to see those dirty flags goading us. Provocation, all from a movement to follow a team bate by a river in Armagh."

Brackaville Disaster Fund spokesman, Harry Gillis, sees it differently.

"Them fcukers would paint over us if they could. We are Brackaville. We are a people. This great run that the Owen Roes lads performed was a real lift for the community. Ok, we've had to start us a disaster fund to cover the expenses of every family in Brackaville heading to the final last week, but we can survive without tourism from the Island. We have the golf course and a lock of other lads doing stuff like welding. Them hoors are just jealous that we had Sean McNally, probably the best footballer in Tyrone ever after Iggy Jones. We shall not be moved. The flag stays. No surrender."

CRAP have given Brackaville 48 hours to comply or they will dam Barrack Street, cutting off vital supplies like soda bread and the Irish News.

one night i tried to navigate my way to stewartstown, i had never been so far into east tyrone in my life, this was f**king scary, omagh... the people are nice, coalisland.. i literally counted to ten and prayed, its like the poor mans crossmaglen, stop, i take that back, when one vistits cross, its a sense of pride you feel, even as a down man, cross is JUST real. coalisland is a f**king dump. dungannon is a f**king dump, Omagh is ok, the only place i have ever been in Tyrone where i felt a sense of solidarity was carrickmore.

Who were you  courting in Stewartstown ?

Charlie, you have wrecked my buzz as just last week I moved from Coalisland to Dungannon. Need to look out for a house in Carrickmore now........
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

charlieTully

Drunk online. Never a good idea. U get a nice place in the pondarosa?

Maguire01

Quote from: fingerbob on December 09, 2012, 10:38:14 AM
What rubbish. Both Ireland and the UK are diverse places. There's no single template for being Irish or British.

I didn't say they weren't. I'm specifically talking about the identity of the population of the north, which usually gets divided into British/Unionist and Irish/Nationalist and that there is a lot more to it than that. We share a lot more than we differ on. I'm fully aware that you can get a range of sub identities within the two and didn't think I'd need to explain that.
You said we're "not as Irish as Cork". That's rubbish. What makes Cork more Irish?

It was just an example.

To be honest, I don't even know what your point is. I was just using it as another side to the phrase 'as British as Finchley' and thought that was obvious.
My point is, you insinuated that Cork is more Irish than Northern Ireland / Northern Ireland is less Irish than Cork. Neither are true. There are, no doubt, huge differences between people in Cork and people in Belfast, but neither is more or less Irish than the other.

SuperMac

fingerbob

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 09, 2012, 02:08:35 PM
Quote from: fingerbob on December 09, 2012, 10:38:14 AM

It was just an example.

My point is, you insinuated that Cork is more Irish than Northern Ireland / Northern Ireland is less Irish than Cork. Neither are true. There are, no doubt, huge differences between people in Cork and people in Belfast, but neither is more or less Irish than the other.

Well in that case, I disagree with you. ;)

red hander

Quote from: Rossa_SMacM on December 09, 2012, 12:17:48 AM
Respect our flag: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20652968

What drugs are Ruth Patterson on?

"I don't condone it but I refuse to condemn it". What a lovely wee Prod she is.

Ruth has always been a bigoted harpy, and she has always been a complete and utter idiot

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

give her dixie

Quote from: charlieTully on December 09, 2012, 02:03:20 PM
Drunk online. Never a good idea. U get a nice place in the pondarosa?

Tis a beauty Charli. Just need the DLA car to complete the move.......
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on December 08, 2012, 11:30:31 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 08, 2012, 11:09:59 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 08, 2012, 10:27:41 PM
In 400 million years the planet earth won't exist.

Nonsense: you're 4.5 billion years out, approximately!  ;)

Not in terms of life on earth. I don't fancy a boiling Lough Neagh.

Right, so please retract either your logical flaw and/or your terminological flaw: human life on Planet Earth is not Planet Earth!  :P

(And life on Earth will exist long after we're gone.)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...