Belfast rioting over removal of Union Jack

Started by Maurice Moss, December 04, 2012, 02:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Very few other areas/entities/ or whatever you want to call it where there are two lots of people who want to belong to two different States.
Perhaps Kosovo and........
Very hard to be just like anywhere else in a case like that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

fingerbob

Quote from: Rossfan on December 08, 2012, 07:29:31 PM
Very few other areas/entities/ or whatever you want to call it where there are two lots of people who want to belong to two different States.
Perhaps Kosovo and........
Very hard to be just like anywhere else in a case like that.

Fair point, but I don't think it's as hard as it's made out to be by some. My point is that the constitutional question should be shelved or at the least not given the significance it currently has when there is absolutely nothing that can be done to change it for a long time. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe it's because I'm in my 20's and didn't have the same experiences as the generation before me.

The reality of it is that we've been lumped in together because of events in history and because of that we're very different from either those in the Republic or those in the UK. The only way anything will change is if we're able to make a decision collectively as whatever happens will not work without backing across the board.

We're not as Irish as Cork and we're not as British as Finchley. We have to accept that we have a shared identity and maybe it would be worthwhile concentrating on that to see where it took us.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 08, 2012, 06:36:26 PM

Ulter may be British but Ulster is very much Irish. Across the 9 counties nationalists have a clear majority. Maybe they should drop the Ulter (Ulster) and concentrate on the phrase Northern Ireland.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Newbridge Exile

Ridiculous that police/stewards stood back and let linfield fans have a flag protest on the pitch at half time in Ballinammard today

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

What a stupid tr**p.

According to this imbred nationalists and republicans also burn the tricolour.

She won't condem! So her flag being lowered through democratic means demands violent protest, attacking the police, breaking the law, stopping commerce, intimidation and preventing people from accessing cities and towns in a safe and unharassed manner. But it is legitimate to burn the flag of a state which is the United Kingdoms closest friend in the world and one of its most important trade partners and also the flag of almost half the people of the 6 counties and the majority of Ulster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20654985

Maguire01

Quote from: fingerbob on December 08, 2012, 07:41:49 PM
We're not as Irish as Cork and we're not as British as Finchley.
What rubbish. Both Ireland and the UK are diverse places. There's no single template for being Irish or British.

T Fearon

Two weeks ago Simon Coveney from the Unionist Fine Gael party was a guest at the DUP conference,at which he boasted that his party and the DUP were the two largest parties on this island.Today the Irish tricolour was burned and a prominent DUP councillor was unable to condemn this?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: T Fearon on December 08, 2012, 09:01:59 PM
Two weeks ago Simon Coveney from the Unionist Fine Gael party was a guest at the DUP conference,at which he boasted that his party and the DUP were the two largest parties on this island.Today the Irish tricolour was burned and a prominent DUP councillor was unable to condemn this?

Off back licking the arse of the IFA will ya.

T Fearon

You mean Fine Gael aren't unionists and oppose the partition of Ireland? Since when?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: T Fearon on December 08, 2012, 09:15:17 PM
You mean Fine Gael aren't unionists and oppose the partition of Ireland? Since when?

Fine Gael are not Unionist, so away with your shite talk. Just because you want to believe it, it does not make it so.

T Fearon

Can you provide facts to sustain that argument? No didn't think so!

armaghniac

As I pointed out previously, the recent Irish Times poll showed more interest in a United Ireland among FG voters than SF voters in the 26 counties.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: hardstation on December 08, 2012, 09:34:42 PM
Fine Gael and loyalists are wee cnuts. True bill.

There might be an argument for Fine Gael being little cnuts, but thats a seperate debate.

Who is "True bill"  ???

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: T Fearon on December 08, 2012, 09:31:39 PM
Can you provide facts to sustain that argument? No didn't think so!

Your the one who made the daft assertion, not me  :P

T Fearon

FG supported the partitioning of Ireland...that makes them unionists.You support partition,you're a unionist,you oppose partition,you're a nationalist