Belfast rioting over removal of Union Jack

Started by Maurice Moss, December 04, 2012, 02:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 17, 2013, 04:54:47 PM
Ah jaysus no, that would give them an extra type of weapon!

Would rather get hit with a snow ball than a petrol bomb/firework/pipe bomb/nuts & bolts/ golf ball!
[/quote]

I didn't say it would be instead of, I said "extra", i.e. additional!

AQMP

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 17, 2013, 05:34:12 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2013, 04:36:56 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 17, 2013, 03:54:01 PM
Just a thought - these protests/riots seem to be limited to certain loyalist areas. For example why does most activity appear in be in the eastern part of the city while the likes of the Shankill doesn't have a peep coming out of it? Why are there protests outside the city seem to be located in Magherafelt & Omagh (with a few other token areas in "Operation Standstill"), which aren't generally known for major sectarian tensions yet the likes of Lurgan/North Armagh and Coleraine are fairly quiet?
I'm not into the whole conspiracy theory thing up north like many are, but blocking the Shankill wouldn't affect many people beyond those that live on the Shankill. Closing off main arterial routes into Belfast from the east manages to poop on many more peoples' days.

In terms of a resolution, the quickest method normally involves someone finally getting killed and the public backlash sends them packing. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

A couple of days of proper snow would help properly.

Beyond that, the only methods I can think of either involve brute force (curfews and the army), or else giving the "community leaders" a pay-off of some description. Both, though, are only short term resolutions.

A propaganda campaign, whereby those in the east are educated/brainwashed to understand that they've only done well out of the GFA, and that they might just prosper if they want to in a shared society, is a longer term solution.

But it's fufcking horrible.
OK, maybe the Shankhill wasn't the best example, but what about say Sandy Row? It's certainly close enough to the city centre to cause a fair bit of disruption but again there hasn't been much to note from there in the past month either.

Like yourself, I'm really not sure how this can all end peacefully without blood being shed.

Edit: BTW Where's Willie Frazer disappeared to? Haven't heard a peep from him in the last few days.

Apparently the "powers that be" made him an offer he couldn't refuse...

charlieTully

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 17, 2013, 05:34:12 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2013, 04:36:56 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 17, 2013, 03:54:01 PM
Just a thought - these protests/riots seem to be limited to certain loyalist areas. For example why does most activity appear in be in the eastern part of the city while the likes of the Shankill doesn't have a peep coming out of it? Why are there protests outside the city seem to be located in Magherafelt & Omagh (with a few other token areas in "Operation Standstill"), which aren't generally known for major sectarian tensions yet the likes of Lurgan/North Armagh and Coleraine are fairly quiet?
I'm not into the whole conspiracy theory thing up north like many are, but blocking the Shankill wouldn't affect many people beyond those that live on the Shankill. Closing off main arterial routes into Belfast from the east manages to poop on many more peoples' days.

In terms of a resolution, the quickest method normally involves someone finally getting killed and the public backlash sends them packing. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

A couple of days of proper snow would help properly.

Beyond that, the only methods I can think of either involve brute force (curfews and the army), or else giving the "community leaders" a pay-off of some description. Both, though, are only short term resolutions.

A propaganda campaign, whereby those in the east are educated/brainwashed to understand that they've only done well out of the GFA, and that they might just prosper if they want to in a shared society, is a longer term solution.

But it's fufcking horrible.
OK, maybe the Shankhill wasn't the best example, but what about say Sandy Row? It's certainly close enough to the city centre to cause a fair bit of disruption but again there hasn't been much to note from there in the past month either.

Like yourself, I'm really not sure how this can all end peacefully without blood being shed.

Edit: BTW Where's Willie Frazer disappeared to? Haven't heard a peep from him in the last few days.

our wullie was down on saturday but matthews' uvf thugs told him to sling his hook. they can't have wullie messing up their upcoming sludge fund. he is back in Whitecross now riding a sheep.

Main Street

Quotehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21061643

Loyalist paramilitary leaders in east Belfast have called for an end to violence.

They issued a statement on Thursday afternoon along with church leaders and community representatives.

They appealed for peace following weeks of violence after Belfast City Council voted to restrict the number of days the union flag flies over City Hall.

"The rioting does absolutely nothing to promote any cause, but is damaging this community," the statement said.
Surely, if these Loyalist paramilitary leaders manage to pull off peace in these troubled times, they must be serious candidates for the Nobel peace prize?

Minder

The UDA, and Jackie McDonald in particular, are getting looked after well with the "community/peace" money so that's why they are playing nice.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theticklemister

I think this thread has the potential to take over the Derrytresk/Dromaird Pearses thread.............................. come on people; we can do it!!!!!

bennydorano

Quote from: red hander on January 17, 2013, 05:32:34 PM
Quote from: AQMP on January 17, 2013, 10:19:29 AM
Quote from: Hardy on January 17, 2013, 10:14:29 AM
By the way, I thought the BBC had some sort of charter requiring it to attempt to provide balance in audience-participation shows. What's the story there, does anybody know?

Interesting point.  I know for programmes like "Question Time" there is a requirement to have a "balanced" audience.  QT was rapped over the knuckles for the audience make up after 9/11.  From what I've read here it's clear most of the audience were unbalanced.

I thought the audience was fairly well balanced, tbh ... loyalist scum, tramps, gobshites and illiterate 'community' workers.  Let's hope they don't display any brains and decide to utilise yer woman Jabba the Hun, cos she could block every road into east Belfast on her own
:) VG

Nolan show was funny as f**k, I thought Nolan looked like he was shitting himself.  The danger is that the lack of balance of last night's show could give the impression of a groundswell of support (an arab spring in East Belfast  :P) when really a few thousand scumbags are holding the place to ransom.  There is no way out of this-  bar bribes.

Dont know if it was touched upon last night or it was some other NI politics show, but I think SF missed out bigstyle by not playing ball in Limavady, if they'd agreed to re?-instate the designated days for the UJ instead of a blanket no UJ flag policy it would have ramped up the pressure on Unionism / Loyalism bigtime.  I used to always say Unionists were ok to deal with in areas where they didn't hold the whip hand and there was no talking to them where they did, I'm afraid the Shinners are heading that direction - if they haven't already got there.

theticklemister

Quote from: theticklemister on January 17, 2013, 07:42:42 PM
I think this thread has the potential to take over the Derrytresk/Dromaird Pearses thread.............................. come on people; we can do it!!!!!

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98]
Author Topic: More Thuggery on the GAA field  (Read 51399 times)

Will Jabba the Hut's words of violence entice more thuggery than Declan O'Sullivans 2-foot extended swipe at a Derrytresk player...................

fitzroyalty

Quote from: bennydorano on January 17, 2013, 08:18:21 PM
Quote from: red hander on January 17, 2013, 05:32:34 PM
Quote from: AQMP on January 17, 2013, 10:19:29 AM
Quote from: Hardy on January 17, 2013, 10:14:29 AM
By the way, I thought the BBC had some sort of charter requiring it to attempt to provide balance in audience-participation shows. What's the story there, does anybody know?

Interesting point.  I know for programmes like "Question Time" there is a requirement to have a "balanced" audience.  QT was rapped over the knuckles for the audience make up after 9/11.  From what I've read here it's clear most of the audience were unbalanced.

I thought the audience was fairly well balanced, tbh ... loyalist scum, tramps, gobshites and illiterate 'community' workers.  Let's hope they don't display any brains and decide to utilise yer woman Jabba the Hun, cos she could block every road into east Belfast on her own
:) VG

Nolan show was funny as f**k, I thought Nolan looked like he was shitting himself.  The danger is that the lack of balance of last night's show could give the impression of a groundswell of support (an arab spring in East Belfast  :P) when really a few thousand scumbags are holding the place to ransom.  There is no way out of this-  bar bribes.

Dont know if it was touched upon last night or it was some other NI politics show, but I think SF missed out bigstyle by not playing ball in Limavady, if they'd agreed to re?-instate the designated days for the UJ instead of a blanket no UJ flag policy it would have ramped up the pressure on Unionism / Loyalism bigtime.  I used to always say Unionists were ok to deal with in areas where they didn't hold the whip hand and there was no talking to them where they did, I'm afraid the Shinners are heading that direction - if they haven't already got there.
Can only assume SF were sticking to their policy in Limaady ie both flags or no flags, which is fair enough IMO. Limavady has enough Union flags most of the year anyway.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Watching the Nolan show now, the BBC fall further into the mire that they have got themselves into this year.

The BBC continues to lose their credibility on the World Stage.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Dougal Maguire

And EvilGenius whose arse you have licked on many occasions is tarred with exactly the same brush
Careful now

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Applesisapples

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 17, 2013, 12:14:31 AM
If your woman on the Nolan show from the Newtownards Road is typical of "PUL" women in the area, then it's not just the Union Jack at City Hall that the loyalist lads in East Belfast have trouble getting up more than 14 times a year...
No wonder the birth rate is falling in the East of the City.