Cross player claims racial abuse

Started by onefaircounty, December 03, 2012, 02:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: naka on December 03, 2012, 10:15:29 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 03, 2012, 08:40:53 PM
A down poster on another forum posted that Kilcoo people who were disgusted by the abuse were openly naming the two responsible individuals. Was pretty surprised - one a young promising player and the other a county panelist.
cannot be condoned but should be considered in the context of a pressurised match where cross were the dominant side and kilcoo were struggling for the most part
we all have taken verbals on the field

i would hope in the cold light of day these two who said it realise the foolishness of the behaviour and a public apology may be the first steps

I disagree.

I reckon if Cross had lost this match, young Cunningham would have had to keep his head down - in case it would be seen as sour grapes!

We have our own culture. And unfortunately, unaccectable sledging and racism is part of it.

I dont think an apology is worth a shite.

stew

Quote from: bennydorano on December 03, 2012, 08:43:17 PM
Racism is endemic amongst idiots, unless we can get a cure for idiocy we'll never be free from Racism.

Benny, that encapsulates the issue in one brief sentence, truer words were never spoken.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

tonto1888

Quote from: stew on December 05, 2012, 04:16:57 PM
Racism is endemic amongst idiots, unless we can get a cure for idiocy we'll never be free from Racism.

Benny, that encapsulates the issue in one brief sentence, truer words were never spoken.

I fully agree.

tonto1888

Quote from: Maurice Moss on December 03, 2012, 04:36:51 PM
Also reposting

As a Kilcoo person I am very disappointed with what has happened. What was the biggest day in the history of our club will now be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

First of all, I am totally 100% against racism. I am not going to comment on the matter as the full details of what was allegedly said have not yet been released. I am in no way 'brushing it under the table' by saying this, I just feel we will know more in the coming days. I would just like to ask one question, I was in the stand but didn't hear any comments from supporters, I'm not saying it didn't happen but if it did how are people so sure it was Kilcoo supporters, were these people dressed in Kilcoo club gear?
Regarding a previous posters comment, our club have released a statement which includes "We as a club condemn abuse from whatever quarter and shall co-operate fully with any investigation instigated by Ulster Council."

I am actually quite shocked and saddened to see so many people slating our club and supporters on here and on other social networking sites. This isn't in anyway a true reflection of our club or supporters.
Modify message

I for one dont think it is a true reflection of your club or supporters. It does beg the question though, are the club responsible for their fans? If so, where does this responsibiltiy end?

tyssam5

Quote from: naka on December 03, 2012, 10:15:29 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 03, 2012, 08:40:53 PM
A down poster on another forum posted that Kilcoo people who were disgusted by the abuse were openly naming the two responsible individuals. Was pretty surprised - one a young promising player and the other a county panelist.
cannot be condoned but should be considered in the context of a pressurised match where cross were the dominant side and kilcoo were struggling for the most part
we all have taken verbals on the field

i would hope in the cold light of day these two who said it realise the foolishness of the behaviour and a public apology may be the first steps

I think the context should be considered alright, if you made one comment in the heat of the moment and then regretted it and said nothing similar for the rest of the match it wouldn't be really fair to be regarded as a racist, if used repeatedly as a calculated plot to wind up some-one that's a different story.

Armamike

Fair play to Aaron Cunningham for highlighting this.

If you have a couple of the Kilcoo players and a few of their supporters in the crowd at this as well, then sadly it does reflect very badly on the club imo. It's more than just the actions of one isolated individual.  It's one thing to eff and blind at the ref and all the rest, but for supporters to come with this type of stuff is unreal.

I hope i'm wrong but i don't think the Ulster Council will do much about this - any sanctions will depend on supporters being identified, and in the case of the players then a third party needs to support the allegations. People are going to have to fess up and is that very likely?  Like others, i don't think an apology is worth anything.  These people don't really regret their thoughts and actions, though may want to reflect on the reputational damage they've landed on their club.       
That's just, like your opinion man.

moysider

Maybe. But don t underestimate the number of idiots out there. We only hear a vocal minority I fear.

trileacman

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 05, 2012, 06:14:30 PM

I fully agree.

I disagree, that argument is just a excuse. The GAA has a problem with abusive behaivour during matches. Most of rural Ireland still has various degrees of racism embedded in the local phsyce. If we just fob this kind of abuse off as "the work of idiots" then we'll never be any closer to stamping it out.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

camanchero

firstly I have to say that I never 'realised that Cunningham was black'.
Theres plenty of players out there a hell of a lot darker than him.
Only for BC1 telling me that Aaron was Joey's son a couple of years ago I wouldnt have known.

The point about idiots in society is spot on.

I think trash talking in footballhas always bee there (used to be called abuse) - but in recent years players are giving verbal abuse to each other to try and put the other of their game.
people generally say the first thing that comes into their minds- eg fat buxtard, cross eyes cnut, skanger etc etc
if different ethnicity is obv then this will be the target

I know a lad who down through the years has been called - a fat cnut, hippy buxtard, nordie buxtard, free state buxtard, english buxtard, kildare buxtard, meath buxtard,baldy buxtard and old wnaker when playing football down through the years.
yes all to the same guy.
people just lash out with whatever they perceive might be an offensive term.

While a problem with socety, lets bring in measures to get rid of all trash talking and abuse on the field of play. long suspensions and big fines for clubs maybe even being having the other team awarded the game - these might bring some manners into them.

best of luck Aaron - you are a smashing player. dont listen to the cnuts. I still dont think yer black though. if so, then so's my oul lad!

lynchbhoy

Another couple of abuse examples that I recall are a couple of idiots doing the
'Monkey noise' at Derry's Aidey McLaughlin in the national league at Parnell pk v Dublin a few years ago. Aidey is dark skinned with Curley black hair and a bit of a trout pout but with no African heritage at all- the chants didn't last long and didn't faze him.
Another ex Derry player Cathal McKeever is often called a 'black b****d' in games - partially due to his dark skin and hair , but also due to his 'style' of play.
Nothing is ever done about these kinds of abuse.
Should culprits be banned if the targets are actually not 'black'?
Should ginger abusers also be hit?

DuffleKing

The question of types of abuse other than racial is very relevant in this case.

Declan

Racist abuse not being tackled, says mum of teen GAA player

By Majella O'Sullivan
Friday December 07 2012

THE mother of a teenager of Egyptian/Irish descent, who claims he was told to "go back where you came from" during a GAA match, has spoken of her disappointment that the matter won't be pursued further.

Ann Marcus made a complaint to gardai and the GAA after her son Dion (14) claimed he was subjected to racial abuse by an adult during a GAA football match in May.

The teenager has represented his country abroad in the Irish athletics team for the world championships in South Korea in July.

The incident highlights the growing problem of racism in sport, which reared its ugly head again this week when Crossmaglen Rangers player Aaron Cunningham claimed he was subjected to racial abuse during the Ulster club final.

Mrs Marcus says she was notified by gardai this week that the DPP would not be pursuing the matter any further. However, she said she had not heard from the GAA since the formal complaint was made over six months ago.

Dion, who was only 13 when the incident occurred, is a promising underage footballer with Dr Croke's in Killarney. His father Refaat was born in Egypt.

The teen claims the racist comments were made by an adult from the opposing team at a GAA underage match in Killarney.

Kerry County Board said its hands were tied while the garda investigation was ongoing.

Chairman Pat O'Sullivan said the board was not aware the investigation had concluded.

heffo

Quote from: Declan on December 07, 2012, 07:44:07 AM

Kerry County Board said its hands were tied while the garda investigation was ongoing.

That's a nonsense. Disciplinary action by any CCC can proceed and sanction without being prejudical to any Garda investigation.

heffo

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 06, 2012, 10:33:41 PM
Another couple of abuse examples that I recall are a couple of idiots doing the
'Monkey noise' at Derry's Aidey McLaughlin in the national league at Parnell pk v Dublin a few years ago.

I was at that game and I don't recall that

lynchbhoy

So was I heff - but he heard it himself. He's not a dramatic or mouthy type so I'd believe him. It was from a couple of idiots once or twice and then that was it. Crowd prob got them to stop. However Aidey wasn't on long as a sub before he had to go off with a broken arm!