Cross player claims racial abuse

Started by onefaircounty, December 03, 2012, 02:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefaircounty

I think this should be a new topic. Leave the Ulster club to its own devices, this is serious enough to deserve a thread of its own.

IF TRUE, horrendous stuff - seems a nice fella.

trileacman

It's irrefutable at this stage. Probably for the best that there is a new thread opened as the way the other one is going it'll be locked down soon enough.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

NaomhBridAbĂș

Agree with a new thread...reposting my spake here...

I lived in england for a few years - one day i gave a met police officer a good reason to call me a 'paddy b**tard'. Another time, getting on a train at waterloo , I also gave a Pakistani ticket collector no reason to call me a 'White b**tard' - couldnt believe it! Was close to bating the dung out of him, but was laughing the hole off myself at the same time.   

If the lads in the south call us 'nordie b**tards' or 'brits' and we call them 'mexicans', is that all ok? Our friends on the 12th who get called occasionally 'Orange B's or Black Bs'...is it the same but different?

Racism is a very serious offense, but one that isn't so clear cut some times.

On reflection, i'd accept that people can say really spiteful things on the spare of the moment - sledging is common place in sport - its normally followed up with an apology or 'no hard feelings'.

I was very angry at the game yesterday - Im impartial, and initially wanted Kilcoo to give Cross a rattle. We all want it not to be a part of the game - on or off the field - but in truth, there maybe more of us guilty of it than we'd like to admit?

I dont know if the Kilcoo men have made an attempt at an apology. Not sure if the club has apologised for their fans yesterday - some of the stuff from the stand was awful. But I'd say that maybe a few of us should count ourselves lucky that our own team wasn't playing yesterday, and maybe the bigger question should be to the GAA and ask them what are they doing to encourage multi-culturalism or pluralism or whatever?.

After yesterday, and until the GAA impose sanction, fines or whatever, Id say that there will be a witch-hunt with Kilcoo, and that may be just as bad as what Arran and his family had to endure yesterday. I'm almost starting to feel sorry for Kilcoo - Im hoping that what happened yesterday isn't representative of EVERYONE at the club - but they'll be guilty by association, until either the club or association get their shit together

Racism is in our society, and thats it - worse in some places, but its there, and its more often than not, taught at home rather than at club matches across the country.
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Maurice Moss

Also reposting

As a Kilcoo person I am very disappointed with what has happened. What was the biggest day in the history of our club will now be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

First of all, I am totally 100% against racism. I am not going to comment on the matter as the full details of what was allegedly said have not yet been released. I am in no way 'brushing it under the table' by saying this, I just feel we will know more in the coming days. I would just like to ask one question, I was in the stand but didn't hear any comments from supporters, I'm not saying it didn't happen but if it did how are people so sure it was Kilcoo supporters, were these people dressed in Kilcoo club gear?
Regarding a previous posters comment, our club have released a statement which includes "We as a club condemn abuse from whatever quarter and shall co-operate fully with any investigation instigated by Ulster Council."

I am actually quite shocked and saddened to see so many people slating our club and supporters on here and on other social networking sites. This isn't in anyway a true reflection of our club or supporters.
Modify message

AQMP

Maurice, I don't know a lot about Kilcoo parish or its people but I'd hazard a guess that it reflects society in general and like every other parish in the country it has a few headbangers around the club.  I know the club I played for did.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farneylawd2011 on December 03, 2012, 04:54:00 PM
This is what his Dad Joey said :
http://www.hoganstand.com/Armagh/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=181909

Sounds like a very reasonable guy. Terrible for this kind of thing to happen to him and his son at a football match.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Armaghgeddon

If Kilcoo dont give over the names of the players who were dishing out racial abuse it will be very damaging for the club. Everyone knows that the actions of a few isn't representative of the whole community but there is always going to be that association unless they are singled out.

sligoman2

It's time to weed out these racist scumbags. This is really shocking to hear.  People know who they are, ban them for life and prosecute them.
They dont belong in a gaa club or any other club for that matter.

Very upsetting to hear this and also the case in Wexford.

Take action gaa and dont let this get buried in red tape or some other procedurAl nonsense.

Kick them out NOW......
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Lady GAA GAA

I agree with thewobbler's overall point in that there is a huge issue in both the win-at-all-costs mentality and ignorance. however, i cant help but feel he undermines his position by pointing out these problems on the one hand (and citing examples) while putting the gaa on an ethical pedestal above soccer on the other. totally irrelevant and baseless. overall, it's a pointless comparison and i think the gaa would do well here to look at itself as an organisation and a culture and to identify a way forward. the first step to overcoming a problem is to accept that there is one; maybe the silver lining to yesterday will be to provoke a positive response from the gaa. a few lessons could even be learnt from english soccer perhaps- insofar as their crackdown on violence and crowd management policies are concerned. sure they even banned the rooney oik for a bit of swearing last year.

thewobbler further detracts from his argument with the abuse and stereotyping of kilcoo folk.

finally, racism is a disgusting form of discrimination and the most strenuous of efforts should be made to eradicate it completely. very difficult to do as we can't control every idiot on the terraces or on the pitch. its also a difficult task to assess how widespread a problem it is on our pitches but even once is too many and the gaa must act. sad in a way that it has taken a high-profile incident like this to bring the issue to the forefront of the gaa's mind, especially given the weak stance taken in the earlier abuse to the young lad Chin.

fitzroyalty

A down poster on another forum posted that Kilcoo people who were disgusted by the abuse were openly naming the two responsible individuals. Was pretty surprised - one a young promising player and the other a county panelist.

bennydorano

Racism is endemic amongst idiots, unless we can get a cure for idiocy we'll never be free from Racism.

moysider

Quote from: bennydorano on December 03, 2012, 08:43:17 PM
Racism is endemic amongst idiots, unless we can get a cure for idiocy we'll never be free from Racism.

Not just idiots I m afraid. It s endemic.
Of course big-mouthed scumbags more likely to yell and shout things and get caught but racism is not limited to 'idiots'. The idiots are expressing sentiments that are more widespread out there than we might mish to imagine. It is not the small minority we might like to pretend it is.

naka

Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 03, 2012, 08:40:53 PM
A down poster on another forum posted that Kilcoo people who were disgusted by the abuse were openly naming the two responsible individuals. Was pretty surprised - one a young promising player and the other a county panelist.
cannot be condoned but should be considered in the context of a pressurised match where cross were the dominant side and kilcoo were struggling for the most part
we all have taken verbals on the field

i would hope in the cold light of day these two who said it realise the foolishness of the behaviour and a public apology may be the first steps

wildrover

http://hoganstand.com/Down/MessagePage.aspx?PageNumber=1&TopicID=79495

Sorry to draw attention to a link to a forum predominantly used by primary school children but the post of a regular contributer on this site caught my eye near the top of the page!.... :o

Some truly remarkable comments..."Has Cunnigham ever been enslaved, denied a vote, made to work for less, denied an education, made to sit at the back of the bus? NO"......Jesus fella would you think what you are writing...