Very cheap tablet PC - kosher or not?

Started by tyroneman, December 02, 2012, 01:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Heard some folks talking about being able to order an android tablet from china for under £100.

Website is lightake.com

Anyone know if this is safe / good quality / reliable etc?

Seems to good to be true

trileacman

No info on here unfortunately, only one way to find out. Let us know how it goes.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Armaghgeddon

Lar Naparka

Quote from: tyrone exile on December 02, 2012, 08:25:13 PM
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/lightake

Going by that link, LighTake seem to be a fairly reputable concern but I'd be wary all the same.
What happens if the device is faulty when it arrives or if problems arise after a while?
I'd say any sort of after-sales service is out of the question.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

DoYerJob Linesman

Are you serious?  Going by that link I would run a mile.  The entries are quite obviously scripted in pigeon English by people who have a vested interest in the company.  Steer clear.
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

Syferus

If you're in the market for cheap Chinese tablets I'd recommend Futeko (http://www.futeko.com/browse.php?cat=tablet), they're UK based and provide a 12 month warranty themselves on the tablets they sell so you've got far better protection from fault as well as no worries about customs or duty on delivery. You'll pay a slight premium over the straight-from-the-factories prices you'll get off Chinese sellers but it's probably more than worth it in most cases. If you've got a Parcel Motel (https://www.parcelmotel.com/) near you you can get free delivery to it by using the UK delivery option as well, just set up an account on Parcel Motel before you order.

They mostly sell Ainol (yes, Ainol) android tablets, which are generally regarded as one of the best of the Chinese brands.

maggie

Was looking at getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2- any one got any advice? There is quite a steep difference in price between the 7" and the 10" one.

NAG1

I would advise just to first off look at the things you will be using it for, will it be skype or skygo or just browsing. As not all apps are compatible to all tablets, so identify the needs first and then work from there.

Puckoon

I know that times are hard, but it seems that people are still prepared to go for cheapness as opposed to value for money. You'll probably spend more in the long run than you will do by saving up a few extra quid and buying the item you really want and which really suits you best. Most likely in the knowledge that you'll not need to upgrade for X years.

And yes. The comments on that page read like they were written by the Chinese crowd that are selling the merchandise.

Minder

Quote from: maggie on December 03, 2012, 12:49:15 PM
Was looking at getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2- any one got any advice? There is quite a steep difference in price between the 7" and the 10" one.

People would pay a lot of money for an extra 3"
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

maggie

Quote from: Minder on December 03, 2012, 03:00:13 PM
Quote from: maggie on December 03, 2012, 12:49:15 PM

People would pay a lot of money for an extra 3"

Indeed but just wondered if size really does matter in this instance.

Puckoon

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 03, 2012, 03:02:40 PM

There's no harm in cheap & cheerful, cheap & nasty is where the problems lie.

Indeed - cheap and cheerful = value for money, provided you aren't going to require/desire an upgrade - which is when it will become a waste.

Puckoon

True, though if I can speak from personal opinion - I'm less likely to want the gratification of an upgrade if I've bought a product I really wanted rather than settling for one I didn't but chose because it was cheaper. If you "settle" for something I think you need to be sure you are happy with the decision. Not casting a glance back at something else, or continuing to check sales and websites torturing yourself. Again I'm speaking for myself!

snoopdog

i have seen ads for a blackberry tablet for 149 euro i think in PC world/currys?
are they any good. I for one couldnt justify spending cash on an ipad as i wouldnt use it enough.