St. Brigid's vs. Crossmaglen Rangers - All-Ireland Senior Club Semi-final 2013

Started by Syferus, November 25, 2012, 06:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What was the best move of the game?

Cake's super hop after getting up from a dastardly jab by Callagher
5 (29.4%)
Cake's girating on the floor after said jab
8 (47.1%)
Cake making Jamie Clarke so fearful that he passed the ball despite being one-on-one with the keeper
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Syferus

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 11, 2012, 09:53:41 AM
I have never read as many excuses regarding one teams failures over the years as I have just read here about St Brigids.  By the sounds of it the All Ireland is theirs this year, no point in anyone else turning up.  We know what usually happens teams that are built up without any real logic - they fall flat on their faces.

You'd want to learn to read if you're finding excuses in anything I said. The amount of times I see people on this board completely miss the point and fire off a silly emotional post that has nothing to do with the discussion is unreal.

Cross were the better team in 2007 and 2011, simple as.

My whole point is that anyone thinks this will be anything less than a war doesn't know how much Brigids have come on this season. Evidently you seem to feel you know better about teams you probably have barely seen, so continue your diatribe.

Oh, and Rossfan, you're not the mouthpiece for anyone, much less your county, so spare us the 'we'.

Orchardman

I don't think anyone thinks an all ireland semi final is gonna be anything less than a 'war', most of us i would imagine just expect cross to win by 2-3 points. Which they probably will, but every dog has it's day.

Armamike

Brigid's have had two goes at Cross by this stage and have come up short.  Renewed hunger won't be enough to beat Cross this time, Cross have that in bucketloads themselves.  The only way to beat Cross is a very fast, direct game and basically pure football.  If Brigids either slow it down or think they can outmuscle Cross they'll be beaten like every other side who've gone down the same path. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

armaghniac

Rossies had their bit of fun at Armagh's expense last summer, no more shocks!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: Armamike on December 11, 2012, 08:43:02 PM
Brigid's have had two goes at Cross by this stage and have come up short.  Renewed hunger won't be enough to beat Cross this time, Cross have that in bucketloads themselves.  The only way to beat Cross is a very fast, direct game and basically pure football.  If Brigids either slow it down or think they can outmuscle Cross they'll be beaten like every other side who've gone down the same path.

Which is exactly what Brigids don't do. Plenty of teams have tried to do just that to Brigids and ended up wrecked at the end of the day.

Both these teams are set up very similarly in how they approach games, they're experienced and aren't afraid to be physical but their game is based on far more than that.

Indeed to say Brigids plan would ever be to out-muscle an opponent is a complete mis-reading of the situation - they haven't done a minute of physical training all year, everything has been focused toward getting the ball in their hands and making every player feel comfortable with the ball in hand and knowing where their outlets are. Both teams have the talent to plain out-play opponents when their opportunities arise, and that's the main reason they both find themselves in an AISF.

adevvabr

Quote from: Syferus on December 11, 2012, 09:26:54 PM

Which is exactly what Brigids don't do. Plenty of teams have tried to do just that to Brigids and ended up wrecked at the end of the day.

Both these teams are set up very similarly in how they approach games, they're experienced and aren't afraid to be physical but their game is based on far more than that.

Indeed to say Brigids plan would ever be to out-muscle an opponent is a complete mis-reading of the situation - they haven't done a minute of physical training all year, everything has been focused toward getting the ball in their hands and making every player feel comfortable with the ball in hand and knowing where their outlets are. Both teams have the talent to plain out-play opponents when their opportunities arise, and that's the main reason they both find themselves in an AISF.

Im sorry Syferus but I cant let you continue to spout nonsense about St. Brigids, you clearly know nothing about them or their training methods. How many times have you seen Brigids train this year?
I have seen them train about a dozen times and apart from the sessions within a couple of weeks of a championship match, all the other sessions involved around a half hour of physical work. So please refrain from posting rubbish about a topic and a team you clearly know nothing about!

Armamike

You referred to Cross being in a 'war' with Brigids which seemed to me you were suggesting a physical approach by Brigids. Brigids dont need to go to war, they just need to outfootball Cross, the way the Dublin sides did a few years back. I havent seen them this year so i don't know if theyre capable of that.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Syferus

Quote from: Armamike on December 12, 2012, 12:12:39 AM

You referred to Cross being in a 'war' with Brigids which seemed to me you were suggesting a physical approach by Brigids. Brigids dont need to go to war, they just need to outfootball Cross, the way the Dublin sides did a few years back. I havent seen them this year so i don't know if theyre capable of that.

All I meant by war is it'll be an incredibly closely-fought game. Unless tempers flair I don't expect it to spill over into anything like the Cross-Garrycastle match this year.

I just feel the teams match up remarkably well, for every Osin there's a Frankie, for every Senan Kilbride there's a Jamie Clarke (or Peter Domican if we're talking about potential match-ups), for every Aaron Kernan there's an Ian Kilbride and so on. Both teams have exceptional strength in depth.

Even Brigids' tactics this year have leaned much more towards incisive kick-passing and the pressure they exert in defense and in the middle reminds me of only one other club team - Cross.

If the two teams play to their abilities it will probably be the game of the tournament.

spuds

For me Dr. Crokes are Crossmaglen's biggest threat for the 3 in a row. The ability and movement of their forwards is a delight to behold. This is a team that has completed a 3 in a row of their own of county titles this year bettering all the south Kerrys etc. Their midfield is strong also and if Brosnan is back at 6 will be good up the centre of defense.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Syferus

Alright lads, only a week to go to the resumption of GAABoard's newest and most anger-filled (good work, Rosfan) rivalry, Sheep v Apples.

We'll ate ye alive.

armaghniac

Are St Brigids rivals to Cross? Are Finn Harps rivals to Real Madrid?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on February 09, 2013, 01:42:18 AM
Are St Brigids rivals to Cross? Are Finn Harps rivals to Real Madrid?

Are you going to take a wee gamble (ah, sorry Osin) on that, 'niac?

brokencrossbar1

Sheeplovers by 3.  Too many miles on our legs starting to show in challenge matches.  Niggly injuries building.  Rossies have a bigger point to prove too so their motivation will be immense.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Syferus on December 12, 2012, 01:08:52 AM
Quote from: Armamike on December 12, 2012, 12:12:39 AM

All I meant by war is it'll be an incredibly closely-fought game. Unless tempers flair I don't expect it to spill over into anything like the Cross-Garrycastle match this year.

I just feel the teams match up remarkably well, for every Osin there's a Frankie, for every Senan Kilbride there's a Jamie Clarke (or Peter Domican if we're talking about potential match-ups), for every Aaron Kernan there's an Ian Kilbride and so on. Both teams have exceptional strength in depth.

Even Brigids' tactics this year have leaned much more towards incisive kick-passing and the pressure they exert in defense and in the middle reminds me of only one other club team - Cross.

If the two teams play to their abilities it will probably be the game of the tournament.

Oisin has contributed more to club football than probably any player. When the going gets tough you can count on him and he has shown this on many occassions. Frankie dolan is no doubt gifted but a poor man's oisin.

Kilbride not close to aaron kernan either. Not remotely in fact as aaron kernan up there with the better club players too.

So i wouldn't agree with either of those match ups and your third one not so much so either.

I would like to see brigids win but they have it all to prove on this stage.