Galway v Mayo (Conn U21 SF)

Started by westmayo, March 27, 2007, 01:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OirthearMhaigheo

Cheers Seanie, we will indeed  ;D

IolarCoisCuain

I've heard the Mayo Under 21 team has been named but I can't seem to find it anywhere. If anybody has it you might put it up here, thanks.

Or if you're reading this Noelle, you might put it up on your own site. ;)

westmayo

I'd say they haven't fully decided upon, as far as I know they are waiting on the fittness of Chris Barrett and Seamus O'Shea for the game,

Shrewdness

Result......Mayo 1-11, Galway 0-9.. Mayo will play Roscommon in the Connacht Final next Saturday in Castlebar. Ros beat Sligo today by 7 points.

Tatler Jack

Seems to have been a comfortable enough win for Mayo - probably a good bet now to retain their AI crown at this level.

Redgreenery

mayo51

i think it finished 1.13 to 0.9.  excellent victory for mayo- revenge for the minor loss 2 years ago.

galwayman

I was at the game in Perase today. Good lively game. It sounds strange given that it was a 7 point defeat but this game was really there for the taking by Galway.
Galway started without senior players Brian Faherty and Sean Armstrong.Armstrong in particular was a huge loss and I think his absence was the deciding factor.
Galway dominated the first 20 minutes of the second half and really should have been ahead going into the last 5 or 10 minutes. They missed 2 glorious goal chances in this period. From the second effort which came back off the crossbar, mayo went straight up the field for a point. Faherty's replacement gary O'Donnell was poor. He is clearly not a forward yet was played wing forward.
Cathal Kenny who was Armstrong's replacement was actually our best forward in the end alongside Breathnach.
Fiachra Breathnach and Paul Gleeson were both absolutely outstanding today. Breathnach gave Colm Boyle a roasting. Cillian Bane and Greg Higgins also did pretty well.

Fair play to Mayo for weathering the storm in the second half and tacking on 4 or 5 points at the end to finish the game off.
Their midfielders and centre back were all very strong in the air and won a lot of possession.
Barry Moran was outstanding and his runs forward caused us all sorts of trouble and let to a lot of Mayo scores.