G8 Summit…In Fermanagh

Started by mick999, November 15, 2012, 01:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: orangeman on June 14, 2013, 04:20:47 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on June 14, 2013, 03:37:46 PM
Some police presence around the town at the minute. Sets of PSNI guys walking by the window every couple of minutes now.

The supporters will have fun getting into and out of the town this weekend going by the road blocks outside the town since this morning.

Too much hassle - I reckon a lot of people will be happier watching it on TV.

Hats off to the GAA for putting the head down and bulling on and making this fixture in Brewster.

Thats certainly one way of looking at it and very different from what was posted on the Cavan v Fermanagh thread!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

rodney trotter

Some police presence around the town at the minute. Sets of PSNI guys walking by the window every couple of minutes now.

The supporters will have fun getting into and out of the town this weekend going by the road blocks outside the town since this morning.

Hats off to the GAA for putting the head down and bulling on and making this fixture in Brewster.

Was that being sarcastic? The Ulster Council were hoping that the G8 would have the game called off, so they could get a nice pay day from it in compensation,  and have the game switched game to Clones.

They knew long enough about the Game being on that date, but it was all about money. Gaa /Ulster Council could have moved the game back or Changed venue's long ago, instead of holing out hoping the G8 meeting would have the game called off. Which obviously hasn't happened.

orangeman

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 14, 2013, 04:35:44 PM

Was that being sarcastic? The Ulster Council were hoping that the G8 would have the game called off, so they could get a nice pay day from it in compensation,  and have the game switched game to Clones.

They knew long enough about the Game being on that date, but it was all about money. Gaa /Ulster Council could have moved the game back or Changed venue's long ago, instead of holing out hoping the G8 meeting would have the game called off. Which obviously hasn't happened.

Aye.

I can't get my head round this one at all - who did they think was going to pay them compensation and what for ?

Moving the game to Clones would get a better crowd and therefore more ticket sales.

Madness.

rodney trotter

Quote from: orangeman on June 14, 2013, 04:37:53 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on June 14, 2013, 04:35:44 PM

Aye.

I can't get my head round this one at all - who did they think was going to pay them compensation and what for ?

Moving the game to Clones would get a better crowd and therefore more ticket sales.

Madness.

Well they would  have been missing out on revenue from the game not being played in Brewster. There won't be the same crowd going with all this going on now anyways

No idea who was going to pay them.

tommysmith

QuoteWell they would  have been missing out on revenue from the game not being played in Brewster.

Who would have missed out on revenue?

Apparently so

An absolute pile of shite. The amount of money that will be spent on this and the money people will be losing out on is disgraceful

give her dixie

Quote from: Apparently so on June 15, 2013, 12:37:27 AM
An absolute pile of shite. The amount of money that will be spent on this and the money people will be losing out on is disgraceful

Just keep repeating the line that the media and politicians keep telling us:

"It's good for the economy"
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Minder

Quote from: give her dixie on June 15, 2013, 12:13:02 PM
Quote from: Apparently so on June 15, 2013, 12:37:27 AM

Just keep repeating the line that the media and politicians keep telling us:

"It's good for the economy"

I take it it's the usual numbers that will come into the economy £30m, £50m etc. ?Always rounded up and nobody has any idea how they got the number.

I fairness the media here are always willing to play along.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

give her dixie

An outspoken critic of Russian president Vladimir Putin has been prevented from addressing a major international conference in Northern Ireland, organisers claimed.

Russian journalist Oksana Chelysheva was due to give a keynote address at the Poisonous Legacies event in Londonderry on Saturday but was stopped on arrival at Stansted Airport.

Conference organiser Paul O'Connor said the journalist, who has been openly critical of the Russian premier's handling of the conflict in Chechnya, was detained for six hours before being sent back to her home in Finland.

"She did not arrive as planned last night," said Mr O'Connor.

"Why wasn't she allowed in? We are asking the question why was an esteemed, award-winning journalist recognised by Amnesty International not allowed to enter the country?

"We will now have an empty chair where someone was supposed to be talking about the situation in Chechnya - it does not reflect well."

Mr Putin is due to join the leaders of the world's richest countries for the G8 summit in Co Fermanagh next week.

Ms Chelysheva, who won Amnesty International's Special Award for Human Rights Journalism Under Threat in 2006, has been campaigning for a war crimes tribunal to deal with the Chechen conflict.

The Poisonous Legacies conference, organised by the Bloody Sunday Trust and the Pat Finucane Centre, will examine the impact of conflict and colonialism in various parts of the world, including the Middle East, Colombia, Argentina, Chechnya, Spain, Italy and Ireland.

It coincides with the third anniversary of the publication of the Saville Report into the killing of 13 civil rights marchers in Derry in January 1972 by members of the Parachute Regiment and is part of the Derry/Londonderry UK City of Culture 2013 programme.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/putin-critic-refused-entry-to-uk-29344805.html

Milltown Row2

This might hit the 4 pages mark, just about shows how interesting the G8 Summit really is (on here anyways)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

QuoteThis might hit the 4 pages mark, just about shows how interesting the G8 Summit really is (on here anyways)

Fermanagh is full of people, has the GAA been promoting the Ulster quarter final as a sample of the local way of life?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

give her dixie

I think that the media and the political parties have all behaved very well since their master David Cameron dumped this farce on us. they have repeated the same bullsh*t day in and day out about how great it will be to host the G8. They have also played their role in demonising protesters and ignoring the fact that the 8 leaders arriving here are in fact the worlds leading gansters.

Sure just the other day McGuinness issued a warning to protesters saying:  ""I think all the people who come here from other parts of the world need to be very conscious that they are coming to a place that is no longer at conflict, to a country at peace. I would like them to respect our peace when they come."

How about McGuinness telling Obama and co to respect "our peace" by not invading and bombing the sh1t out of other countries?

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on June 14, 2013, 06:49:00 PM
QuoteWell they would  have been missing out on revenue from the game not being played in Brewster.

Who would have missed out on revenue?

I was referring to the Ulster Council, as in looking to then switch the game elsewhere. Anyways it didn't come to that

tintin25

In town earlier, not too many about. No problems getting in and out.

EC Unique

A massive international event is taking place on our little island and people are gurning and complaining.... How typically Irish!